Sat Feb 6 2021 16:18:34

eBay Seller Struggles to Find Payments Account Balance

By: Reader

As you are likely aware, over the last few weeks, eBay changed the look of their payments tab so that the area with the balance now has a blue background. I don't really care what it looks like or what color it is, but it was at that same time that the total account balance was removed.

In the past 20 years or so, I have had probably around 75 different financial accounts, and eBay managed payments (just over these last few weeks) is the first and only one that doesn't prominently show an account balance (in fact, it doesn't show an account balance at all).

Instead, it breaks the account into three separate figures: "On hold," "Available funds," and "Processing."

If sellers needed to add all three figures up to get their actual balance, it would be a moderate nuisance, but in actuality, it is much worse. In some cases, adding up all three figures does get you your account balance. However, in other cases, you need to leave out the "On hold" amount.

It seems that the amount on hold is sometimes figured into your "Available funds" and/or "Processing" totals, and other times not. Worse yet, there is no notation as to which way it is functioning at any given time.

So, it seems, that there is no consistent way to use the figures on that page to figure out the total amount eBay is holding.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?
Troy

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Struggles to Find Payments Account Bal   eBay Seller Struggles to Find Payments Account Bal

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Feb 8 19:30:05 2021

@QueenMab
The $.01 was eBay checking that they could make a deposit into your account successfully.  Just like when you signed up for PayPal.  They did a couple of small deposits, you reported what the amounts were, and that confirmed your back account.

You can elect how to fund your shipping labels at the bottom left of the EBay Shipping page - PayPal or MP proceeds.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Feb 9 11:42:13 2021

@Isa

What you're saying about non payment of sales is absolutely frightening. There are certain categories that seem to have more non payments than others.

If I'm understanding you right, every sale that is closed due to non payment will cause the eBay's fees to show as income on the 1099?

@Lightning You're pretty good with this stuff. I am right about this or just as confused as everybody else..

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 9 17:02:01 2021

@CanBrit

That would be ABSOLUTELY incorrect.  MP is a money processing program, NOTHING more.  If a buyer doesn't pay, it doesn't go through MP and therefore it will NOT show up on a 1099K.  Logic should win out on this one.

Now if you are a seller that has all their fees getting deducted from your MP balance, then yes the FVF would be deducted from your balance in MP however when the seller files the UID and closes it for non payment that should take care of the FVF.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Feb 9 17:59:16 2021

@Marie

I don't recall asking your input

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 9 19:46:34 2021

@canbrit

That doesn't change the answer.  Sorry my posting annoyed you.  That wasn't the intention.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Wed Feb 10 01:59:58 2021

@CanBrit
If you are on MP, I don't see how a sale that is not paid for can be an accounting problem at all.  The MP account deals strictly with money paid in as it happens, like paying for a fixed price listing or an auction.  If you don't pay for either one, there is no activity in MP, to my knowledge.  The item just sits in Awaiting Payment.  If you end up cancelling it due to non-payment, it's like it never happened.  You didn't get money, you didn't have to refund money.  I don't see how it would show in an MP account, or on a 1099.

As far as Returns, Partial Refunds, Holds, and Full Refunds on your account, those are different and complicated stories, because money DID change hands.  And then put in abeyance, and then refunded.  Causing a lot of accounting actions regarding money in, out, fees, sales taxes, shipping, etc. in various directions.  But from personal experience, I have ''followed the money'', and it all seems to zero out, except of course for the $.30 fee.  The only certain things in life are death, taxes, and the $.30 fee.

But also I should mention that I haven't had the time to plow through the 1099 yet.  I am aware that the 1099 monthly totals won't match monthly sales numbers because of settlement date vs. sold dates.  I'll eventually try to dissect a sample month or two to see what they are up to.

I much preferred PayPal's methods in the past, and I'll surely miss them even more as I delve into the MP 1099 enigma.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Feb 11 11:24:51 2021

@lightening

The confusion is this as per the posters comment.

"It was actually an item that was sold to a buyer that never paid for the item!! Even though Ebay refunded the fee, it still shows on my 1099??? why, I never got the funds for this!!  so now it is all very confusing to what was added to that 1099."

What she is suggesting shouldn't happen right?

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Feb 11 11:26:37 2021

@Marie

You are more than welcome to respond to the posters comment. It wasn't mine but I am curious.

"It was actually an item that was sold to a buyer that never paid for the item!! Even though Ebay refunded the fee, it still shows on my 1099??? why, I never got the funds for this!!  so now it is all very confusing to what was added to that 1099"

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Feb 11 14:13:09 2021

@canbrit

I understand.  I simply think the poster is mistaken.  It can't go through a money processing system of no money was submitted.  MP doesn't process sales, it processes money only.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Feb 11 17:09:01 2021

@CanBrit
I agree with Marie that the unpaid item has no business being on a 1099.  So either the poster was mistaken, or it was an MP glitch.

The poster was looking for a single item difference in total items, and found the extra one on MP.  Then identified it as an item that wasn't even paid for.  I don't know how that could happen, but the poster seemed very clear on it, appeared organized in the approach.  Can't argue with the facts presented, but can't look over their shoulder either.  With eBay ANYTHING is possible.

Everyone should be looking at that 1099 to see that all sold items, and ONLY sold items, are showing as received.  It's not just eBay - PayPal had my 1099 overstated by $21k last year, before they sent out revised forms.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Feb 12 10:14:02 2021

Good, so it's not a matter of "Logic should win out"

Glitches can and do happen and until one has seen this particular 1099, no one can call anyone mistaken.

I think we're going to see a load more issues  "Glitches"  or the like. Certainly adds to  their bottom line especially before the last quarter release

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Feb 12 11:46:20 2021

It is so unlikely that a non paid item would appear in MP since MP doesn't handle the reporting of unpaid transactions anymore that PP did.  As we all know MP is simply a basic money processing system.  There is no reason for an unpaid transaction to appear in MP for any reason.

by: acc756 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 14 16:08:57 2021

I'll start by saying I only do fixed price BIN listings, so I'm a bit unfamiliar with exactly how eBay handles unpaid items/FVF in Managed Payments.

Just from looking at eBay help pages, it appears that part of the unpaid item policy provides for the seller getting FVF refunded when an unpaid item case is closed.

One would assume in order for a seller to receive a FVF refund, a FVF would have had to first be assessed or charged.  With Managed Payments taking the fee off the top, that would maybe indicate the "sale" is recorded somehow in MP even if the buyer never pays?

This eBay page about Fee Credits seems to indicate that if the buyer doesn't pay, and you open an unpaid item case, the $0.30 fee is *not* refunded.  https://ebay.to/3b3RLgU

Is that correct? If so, in MP there would have to be some way to tie that $0.30 to a "transaction" even if that transaction was never actually paid.

Also of note, on the page about fees, it says "We charge a final value fee when your item sells." - not "when your item gets paid".

That may be splitting hairs, but it seems to me that eBay considers a "sale" to be the point at which there is a commitment to buy, the FVF is assessed at that point, and if payment does not happen, it appears to be handled almost like a cancellation.

Again, this isn't something I'm personally familiar with so please forgive me if I'm way off base - I'm just trying to think through if there is some way it could make sense for a non-paid item to be included in your MP records, based on the eBay help and policy pages.

1 2