Thu Dec 23 2021 11:29:31

Seller Raves about Ecrater: 'A Happy Place to Sell On'

By: Reader

I have been a seller on various marketplaces since the early "good old days" of ecommerce. It seems lately that sellers have nothing positive to say about the sites that host their listings. In the forums I hear grumpy complaints of "too many rules, glitches, scammers, fees, counterfeit products, etc." There are sellers that have become so unhappy that they are either retiring or planning on leaving their venue to sell elsewhere.

Over the years I have found that every site has their share of problems. Where would you go? If you leave or branch out, what marketplace is available where sellers can enjoy selling again? Some sellers are choosing new sites like FB Marketplace, Mercari or Poshmark. As for me, I am happiest selling on eCrater.com, a site that has been around since 2004.

With all the places to sell on since the late 1990's that have come and gone, eCrater is the only one that has remained true to its roots. Dimatar Slavov, the owner of eCrater, was asked by a seller back in 2008 how he came up with the idea of starting eCrater, he replied, "I had a vision of a nice, clean marketplace - a place where buyers could easily buy and sellers would happily sell. I focused on that while building eCrater." All these years later I can say that his words are still true. I am one of those that "easily buy and happily sell" on eCrater.

Selling on eCrater is a pleasure. Dimitar and the rest of the eCrater team actually listen to the seller's suggestions and problems. Categories and subcategories on the Marketplace are well defined. In your store you may create your own categories. No fees except for either PayPal, or Stripe payment processing fees and an advertising fee for my products to be indexed on Google Shopping.

There are no final value fees, no interference on how you run your store, no constant rule changes and very rarely a glitch. I promote my listings on various free sites and when a sale comes in through my own promotion efforts, I do not pay the advertising fee. In return you agree to follow the terms and conditions of eCrater. Ecrater also has a great community forum with helpful members that are happy to answer questions.

There will be sellers that will argue that eCrater does not get the traffic and is not as big as eBay, Amazon or Etsy. You sellers, please stay where you are. You are not going to be happy at eCrater.

But, if you are a seller that is looking for a place to sell where you have a chance to be happy selling your items and to be successful through your own efforts, I invite you to come start your own store at eCrater! You may become as happy as I am.
Happy Holidays!
Lori

Perminate Link for Seller Raves about Ecrater: 'A Happy Place to Sell   Seller Raves about Ecrater: 'A Happy Place to Sell

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Dec 23 13:05:23 2021

@Lori - I've been selling on eCrater since 2008, when the first of the anti-small seller policies went into effect on eBay. I could have written your post as I am very happy there and am selling much more than when I left eBay. I don't do any promotion myself (I pay the advertising fee) and buyers find my store. I think where buyers used to look first on eBay to find what they wanted, they are now doing a Google or other search where my items show up. Even if sellers are not looking to leave eBay or Etsy, they should at least open a store on eCrater (since it's free) to see how their sales will be.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 23 13:21:42 2021

I tried eCrater for a few years.  Had a few sales.
I promoted my self and fellow sellers (where I was attacked a couple sellers for pinning others items).

I was hoping during the first exit of eBay that eCrater would do more improvements to the site. Some of the improvements would be so simple in programming. There was another seller that found some problems with the Google uploading and searching the products.  Pretty much poo pooing it.

I went back to eBid.net and have been promoting myself and fellow eBid sellers. Much better in looks and options and such. I like my sales and fees and being my own boss.  Hopefully, they will get the other updates done soon.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Dec 23 20:45:24 2021

I've had More Sales on eCrater this year than all years before.
It's an Emerging Platform.
Very nice, civilized and dependable.
Thanks eCrater  :o)
MERRY CHRISTMAS ! ! ! !

by: BatmanOfOz This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 24 02:12:14 2021

I've been on eCrater for years...have made very few sales.  The most recent item is Still sitting here, packed up and waiting for Payment, two weeks later!  There is no recourse for non-payers, and I have had a few of them.
Guess I need to do my own promoting, as I tend to forget all about the site, myself!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Dec 24 18:12:13 2021

@BatmanofOz - What form(s) of payment do you accept? I take credit cards through Stripe, and I've never had a non-paying buyer. I don't know how someone could check out and not pay if the seller takes PayPal or Stripe. It sounds like you're set up for payment by checks or money orders, in which case your buyer might have gotten too busy, or are too lazy, to deal with mailing. If that is the case, you might want to consider adding another form of payment. I realize that you may not like paying fees to a payment processor, but they are deductible as a business expense.

by: BatmanOfOz This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 24 19:13:16 2021

iheartjacksparrow
I use Paypal...but even after a reminder email, there was no payment!  It's happened before.

by: LaStade This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 25 07:23:34 2021

@batmanofoz - make sure you have Paypal Express checkmarked.
@Dingdong - this past year eCrater made 4 different improvements; add up to 10 pictures at one time, add size and color variants, add html to description and added support for USPS commercial rates.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 25 09:36:18 2021

@Lori
I am glad that there was some changes.  I had 4 shops - 3 of them using the Matrix  (I can't remember if you or Sheila had explained this in some of the old forums)

The last one was with the calculated shipping.  I worked on that one for some time. After a hit, I quickly closed that shop.  I was suppose to make a $22 profit and what eCrater used for shipping left me with only $10 profit.

I hung in there and just before closing all the shops, you or Sheila had explained how the different shipping order would be used. But for me, it was too late and wasn't playing with it.

I don't mind promoting myself but I need a site that I can understand and work with, even if the programming isn't as clean as "what the earlier ebay site was", for the most part.

This user has validated their user name. by: ySirTinLee

Mon Dec 27 01:15:22 2021

Ecrater is okay, but I like webstore.com.  You can do more; like create auctions, reserve price, accept offers, set up for private auctions.  I use both sites.  Hey, they don't have the traffic Ebay has, but like was stated, selling on Ecrater is a pleasure and so is selling on webstore.com

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 27 01:25:26 2021

I have over 2000 sales on eCrater, far less than on eBay, but worth the effort.  Fees are almost nonexistent.  Listing is easy.  I like it.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 27 01:49:46 2021

Can someone tell me why Ecrater (and Bonanza) never ever show up in Google Shopping searches?
Try it.  Shop for anything, any brand, and Ecrater is MIA.

This user has validated their user name. by: ySirTinLee

Mon Dec 27 05:25:44 2021

To  Chicago48
I asked the same question a few years ago and was told that if I had a product that is very common among other sellers, the item might not show up on Google for 100 pages in.  In any event, I did a search of one of my products and it showed up on the 3rd page of Google shopping. https://www.google.com/search?q=peace+rocks+t-shirt&newwindow=1&source
=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjs-czk4IP1AhVljYkEHfJoCo84ChD8BSgCegQIARAE&biw=1242&bih=568&dpr=1.1

by: Nothingnewecrater This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 27 06:14:17 2021

I've been on there 10 years on and off. I take online payment. And yes there are non paying buyers. I just had a couple this month. But it isn't a common thing. I like the site. My biggest issue is they never made a search engine to search our store names. So it's hard to build up a following. I advertise on Fakebook mostly.All the recent changes do not help me since I only use my cell to list now. Otherwise it's an easy site to get comfortable in.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 27 06:26:37 2021

@Sirtin:  I was on ecrater for years and only sold a handful of goods.  It wasn't worth my time.  After all this time they've been in business, I think it's just a small cottage business that two hobbyists  are doing from their home.  And those two hobbyists  don't want to compete and be another  "Ebay."  But satisfied getting a few dollars just enough to live on.  I don't see them across the internet on IG/YT, or other social media sites.  Nobody talks about them. I feel the same about Bonanza, two hobbyists.  It takes mountains of money to be another Ebay.  It's enough to list on EB, it takes a lot of effort & time, and I'm tired.  So why bother with another site?

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 27 08:03:53 2021

I've never shopped on eC. so I took a look at it. As for visual candy--it's not.
I might shop there is I were looking for specific baseball cards (never happen) or odd household/beauty/health products (can do that on lots of eBay shops)
Now, I didn't spend much time checking it out.  Simply didn't appeal to me. Perhaps that's why there is a lack of traffic? Seems like a narrow buyer market.

But this is just an opinion--from someone who buys online daily. Kind of a "been there, seen it" view point.

by: I_Fix_Dolls This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 27 08:09:36 2021

I have given up on Ebay, after they charged me for ending an auction that was not getting bids, early. In fact nothing I had listed was selling. I moved over to Etsy, and I am getting sales there, but Etsy thinks I work for them, not the other way around. I have two stores on Bonanza, one has not had a sale in two years, the other does get one or more sales a month, nothing to write home about. I listed in ebid after they started, but didn't get much traffic. I may try them again.
I opened a store on Ecrater, but with the holidays I have been busy, and have not tried to actually put a product in it as yet. I am hoping they do well with vintage, since that is mostly what I have.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 27 13:02:04 2021