Mon July 20 2020 22:48:24

eBay Seller Wonders If He Is in Managed Payments

By: Reader

Well, the day is upon us... or is it? It's eBay, so of course, one never knows!

Ever since I first signed up for eBay's "mismanaged payments" months ago, the misinformation and lack of information has been unbelievable (yes, even by eBay's standards).

Now I don't even know if I'm in MP or not.

eBay's information (if you can call it that) for MP states that their new fees will take effect today, July 20. It also says that I will not pay the new (higher) eBay fee rate AND PayPal (or other third-party payment processor) fees on the same transaction. In addition, they told me that I would be notified 2 weeks before being opted in to the program, and that I would be opted in in late July.

Today is July 20, and I have not yet been notified about when I will be opted in, and there are not two more weeks left in July to allow the notification and activation. So, if I will be notified two weeks before being opted in, I am not opted in. If the new fees take effect today, and I am not opted in, then I would (presumably) still be paying PayPal fees along with the new higher eBay fees.

I don't know which part of the information is incorrect (maybe all of it is), but something here does not add up!

I was assuming that upon being opted in to MP, there would be a place in Seller Hub that would note my balance, pending transfers, etc., but there is no such area. There is a section marked "Payments," but it is the same information that's been there for months - no place for an actual breakdown of MP transactions.

I was explicitly told that there would be a place to select whether I wanted daily or weekly payouts, but that is nowhere to be found either.

Another odd detail is that my charity listings still show the charity and percentage being donated (I was told that once I was opted in to MP, my listings would automatically be removed from the charity program).

As a result of the new fees, I needed to raise my prices by almost 7%. Of course, I did not raise them on other sites I sell on. Over the past week, I have made more sales off eBay than on eBay, which is almost unheard of. That's the only part I like about this whole thing: the possibility of more sales on other sites where I can offer lower prices and not deal with customer service reps who make things up as they go along.
Troy

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Wonders If He Is in Managed Payments   eBay Seller Wonders If He Is in Managed Payments

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 00:16:29 2020

I am curious about those in MP.....let's say a payer pays with Paypal via MP. Do you get the Paypal instant notification email or is it actually a payment notification from Ebay?

I think this would also help the OP.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 13:06:27 2020

Joining MP is like joining a college fraternity.
If you're "registered", you're just a pledge.
Somewhere, in a dark room, they're voting on your acceptance.
Seems like not everyone knows where the room is.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 13:33:59 2020

I HAD 3 stores - I started delisting back in March - eventually closed all 3.  I never got any emails offering me any incentives into mangled payments.  Just for S&G I posted an item the other day to see what would happen.  The system accepted the listing and it went live.  I listed this item at $10 over any price I have elsewhere. Figure if eBay's going to rape someone it will be the buyer  not me.  Anyway - the danged thing is live. So was I automatically pumped into MP's?  I filed nothing out to join

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 22:28:33 2020

@Whatever
If you haven't received the dreaded "Invitation", you're still free floating.
Just like those of us who have "registered", but have not been "accepted", are free floating.
Check your Seller Hub under "Payments"...that's your current status.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jul 22 02:12:09 2020

@Troy

Your earlier information is still correct.  You are NOT currently in MP.  Ebay will send an email notifying us at least 2 weeks in advance of the entry date and then a reminder email 2-4 days before actual entry.  They are moving groups in a little at a time.  So it is likely this will continue to happen well into August.

Now there are three ways you can tell you are active in MP.  1.  Look at the shipping page on any of your active listings.  In the payments section, if it says you accept Google Pay, you are active in MP.  2.  That Payment box on your Seller Hub will fill in with more information.  and 3.  You will no longer get payment notifications directly from PP.

The new fee structure is for MP only.  So it will NOT apply to any sellers NOT in MP.  So this will not start until you are actually active in MP.

You will not see the options available for your MP account until you are active in MP.  So patience.  You just have to wait.

Why do you need to raise pricing by 7% due to MP??  That part I don't understand.  I get it if it is just something you want to do as you have every right to price your stuff the way you see fit, but you say it is because of MP.  What in MP is it that you think is going to cost you that much more?

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 23 00:34:23 2020

Thanks @ebayout - never occurred to me to check seller hub under payments - sure enough there was a statement that said ''You've successfully registered for managed payments
Thanks for getting your business started early.
In the meantime, you may want to consider a few things to prepare your business for managed payments.
Download checklist''
Nothing earth shattering - but it was nice to know that I'm just waiting now.

Doesn't make any difference to me who processes my payments as long as they do it correctly.  I don't get a say with Amazon.  I'll continue with PayPal for my website.  I'm certainly not going to waste any time calling eBay for information.  Sales in July have hit an all time record.

by: Lumpus This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 23 12:44:21 2020

Paypal (to my knowledge) has never had the financial information of its customers hacked.  eBay HAS... repeatedly.  And now they want us to register our bank account and SSN information with them!
Sorry, that a big NOPE for me

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 23 20:21:39 2020

my husband and I both got notices on our accounts.  I have done nothing, I can still list and sell, get my money through pp.

My husband registered on the 15th. No problems, he's still listing and selling, although you get a notice every time "you must register for MP"  money is still coming through PP.

One thing though.  he just had a return, and it was delivered to our home instead of our PO Box where we receive all our mail and is the return address on the item.
So it changed that automatically......fyi

by: redcabin This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 17:50:45 2020

I didn't get the reminder email that ebay said I'd get before my account was activated. Just one morning, Congratulations, you are now in Managed Payments!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 25 01:36:17 2020

@Lumpus

Ebay was hacked in 2014, but NO financial information was lost.  That is the only time Ebay was hacked.

Now individual sellers have been hacked over the years on Ebay and on PP.  That doesn't mean the site was hacked, it means the member's account was hacked.  Each situation can be different.  It could be their computer security wasn't strong enough, it could be they accidentally answered a phishing email or something, it could be someone around them figured out or received the password to the account and the list goes on.  There could be so many reasons for this.

But Ebay as a site was hacked once in 2014.