Sun June 21 2020 10:34:15

Reader Warns Sellers to Watch for eBay Billing Errors

By: Reader

My store came up for renewal last May. I noticed on my invoice, that from April 16th - May 15 I was billed $59.95 for my store. My store bill for May 16 - June 15th is also $59.95. eBay slipped in an additional charge of $29.98 for the dates of May 1 - May 15th.

I contacted customer service and was told that this was because my store renewed on May 1st, and they pro-rated it for the dates of May 1 - May 15th. Pro-rated? For dates that I had already paid?

I pointed out that they were billing me for a 15 day window that I had already paid (my April 16th - May15th bill). After persisting, I was issued a credit, but please let sellers know that these billing errors are still happening and $29.98 is not a few cents.

I have decided to go back through all of my invoices for the last year because I have not been reviewing them as closely as I should. It is just amazing that a company of this size continues to make these types of mistakes. As many have said, the mistakes are never in the sellers' favor, but always in eBay's.

Please do not use my name. In light of recent events I do not want to be identified.

Thank you!
S.

Perminate Link for Reader Warns Sellers to Watch for eBay Billing Err   Reader Warns Sellers to Watch for eBay Billing Err

by: ebay-lma This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 21 11:48:04 2020

Same thing happens to me every year on my May 15 invoice and it's confusing.  Separately in this invoice you will also see a $29.98 credit under ''Miscellaneous credits'' which cancels out the double-charge for the prorated period.  It's certainly sloppy accounting, but you aren't getting overcharged.  Hope this helps.

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 21 13:20:25 2020

"It is just amazing that a company of this size continues to make these types of mistakes."

"It is completely plausible that a company of this size is not making a mistake."

There, I fixed it for you.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 21 14:34:35 2020

I have caught over a dozen billing mistakes in the last 12-18 months. Amazingly not one was in my favor. What are the odds?

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Jun 22 01:26:36 2020

Agree with @ebay-lma and @lessthanthreerecords

Likely no mistake made at all, just their crappy way of billing at the changeover.  Everyone draws the same conclusion - at first.  Next time, you remember that it was a mess and realize it's just an accounting offset.

Even though the CS person agreed with the OP, likely the charge will stick, or reappear, because it was NOT incorrect.  Even the CS can't figure it out distinctly enough to explain it to the customer, so they just go along with them, and forward it up the ladder.  Where it gets bounced back down, like a rejected jump shot.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 22 02:49:49 2020

These are reasons why I no longer have a store.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 22 08:07:39 2020

Double billing, even when credited, allows eBay to claim that undue income as ‘sales’. Though not increasing net of course, nobody on the ‘street’ digs that deep past the headlines that can now boast a $28 buck per store ‘windfall’.