Tue Nov 17 2020 21:00:47

Seller Perplexed by eBay Payments Category Exclusions

By: Reader

Here's another problem having to do with eBay's managed payment deadline. My situation might be illustrative.

Announced last year, eBay has prohibited several existing sales categories from using MP (Managed Payments), including automobiles. Another example includes collectible coins, currency and bullion, where a majority of my sales transactions occur.

Company officials have assured sellers that they will find a solution, although they haven't stated what the problem is that must be solved. But so far, no guidance has come forth.

I have not signed up for MP, as the word from various chat rooms and forums is that once enrolled, one cannot return to the old protocol

If eBay registers me automatically after the deadline, would any coin listings I have could become frozen or disappear altogether? I'd continue to be able to sell in other categories?

If not, could I continue to sell coins and use PayPal to manage the cash? But then I'd lose all other categories?

I have a number of valuable coins I'd like to list but feel I'm better off waiting to see how eBay will respond.

Thanks for your reporting on these matters,
Marty

Perminate Link for Seller Perplexed by eBay Payments Category Exclusi   Seller Perplexed by eBay Payments Category Exclusi

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Nov 18 12:03:33 2020

To my knowledge they are no longer accepting sellers into the program that are requesting entry.  They are having sellers wait until they get an email from MP telling them that they are going to be entering MP soon and ask them to register.

For you and sellers like you that consistently primarily sell in any of the restricted categories, MP is NOT currently requiring that you enter MP.  But sellers must have a history of selling consistently in one or more of the restricted categories.

IDK what the issue is for these categories but Ebay says they hope to have it fixed sometime next year.

So for now you are fine.  If you do get the email from MP saying you are going in, call them and have them review your account.

For sellers that don't primarily sell in any of these accounts, they enter MP and then have a need to sell in one of these categories.  Just open up another selling ID and only sell these item under that ID.

This user has validated their user name. by: Carl

Wed Nov 18 12:46:35 2020

"Just open up another selling ID and only sell these item under that ID."

When new sellers sign up, managed payments is the only option now, not paypal.
So it wouldn't make a difference.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 19 01:59:12 2020

@carl

Did that just start this week?  They change some things so fast it could be different.  So when was this started?

This user has validated their user name. by: Carl

Thu Nov 19 04:00:55 2020

@ Marie
Some sellers have only been reporting it for the past few weeks over here on the UK forums. So not that long ago.

by: dave w This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 06:22:20 2020

I sell coins on ebay and have gone through the sorry process of getting ebay to do something about managed payments.
There is a whole list of restricted items on ebay under managed payments. The list on .com is different to the list on .co.uk and each Country is different.
The list not on managed payments is different.
ebay is slowly working through this list to get coin category somehow authorised for managed payments. I do wonder if it is something to do with money laundering. I can remember when I first saw the list several months ago and now its about a third short shorter.
The managed payments part of ebay appears to be seperate from general ebay. I kid you not neither side side knows anything about the other.
The saga begins when you get the dreaded invitation to join.
You must get ''opted out'' otherwise you join and your listings will be restricted from managed payments payers.
Remember customer service on managed payments is seperate and you must go through the invitation side to get to the right customer service reps.
Go through the invitation and you get to page where you can contact them. Click on phone contact and they did with me respond within a couple of minutes each time I have rung.
You then have to explain in to the rep about restricted items, they dont fully know. You must give them a breakdown of your listings. Say 4000 coin related items and 100 on other items say. YOU have to prove that the vast majority of your items are restricted items.
The rep I dealt with was probobly the best ebay rep I have ever dealt with they did what they said they were going to do and they did phone me back.
The rep themselves can't authorise you to be opted out it has to go to a manager. You now know it will become a saga.
The rep phoned me back each week to give me an update on what was going on.
Mine took me 4 weeks to get a call saying I had been opted out until coins would be included in managed payments.
Make sure you get a customer service number from the rep.
Once you are opted out you still get the e mail invitations.
Hope this helps.

by: Denny This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 08:43:20 2020

They told me I had to use M.P. I told them sorry I don't think so. Then they told me I would not be able to list any new items. I told them it's  fine with me if E-bay wants to lose money on fewer listings. There's lots of places to sell and I don't need e-bay and would save money on their fees. I'm still selling but could care less either way. E-bay needs sellers we don't need them. There's lots of places to sell things and the more sellers e-bay losses the less diversity in the site. I  use to sell lots more on e-bay but cut way back because of the things they do like charging fees on shipping.