Thu Sept 19 2019 17:06:49

Why Does eBay Place Ads before Descriptions in Product Listings?

By: Reader

I've been mostly relaxed about all of eBay's changes. However, when I went to a listing in the last day or so and skimmed down to see the description, I noticed two columns of promoted listings before I reached the description.

I didn't ask to see these - especially not before I read the description on the item I wanted to look at.

It's confusing and junkie looking. Many of the promoted listings had nothing to do with my search.

Have you gotten other reactions to this? It certainly seems to make it harder for a casual buyer.

Thanks.
Jodi

Perminate Link for Why Does eBay Place Ads before Descriptions in Pro   Why Does eBay Place Ads before Descriptions in Pro

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 19 18:28:18 2019

For the same reason that grocery stores put DelMonte or Hunts on the middle of the shelves and the cheap garbage on the bottom. Its called merchandising. The manufactures pay extra for that shelf space and visibility. On Ebay you don't pay for your ads to be first you just think you do.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 19 20:11:21 2019

"Many of the promoted listings had nothing to do with my search."

And that is why it decidedly NOT "merchandising". You don't 'feature' a whole section of cans of tomato paste in the middle of the cereal and cracker aisle. Nobody's looking for it there. And it's annoying.

eBay, however, doesn't care a bit, nor has the ability to correctly 'merchandise'. Because they don't care about a particular listing selling. They have become no less than a money snatching street focused ad platform, becase that is where their most 'no effort' revenue is derived.

As long as they continue to insist that they know better than the buyer what the buyer seeks, it will not change either.

The topper - they justify it all as a 'better buying experience'. Good luck getting them to listen to any opinion to the contrary.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Sep 19 23:15:54 2019

I never see any of that because I have blocked them with Ad-Block.

I have been telling all of my customers about it for a while now and as soon as everybody figures it out the promoted listings will be useless. I am sure that the "expert" coders at eBay will never figure out how to work around it so they can not be blocked.

eBay = Dead Man Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Fri Sep 20 10:48:23 2019

Every single question that begins with ''Why does ebay...'' can be answered with one simple word - GREED.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 20 16:00:59 2019

Jodi,   Why is eBay do this?   Because eBay SUITS are A LAW UNTO THEMSELVES and because eBay's MOST IMPORTANT CUSTOMERS now-days are their ADVERTISERS..... not their  SELLERS who are PAYING to LIST and Paying to SELL once any of those LISTINGS are actually SOLD.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Sep 20 19:42:55 2019

It's a pain.
I scroll down to the description only to have it skip to the ads on the page.
Then I have to scroll around looking for the description....
STOP REDOING THE SITE !
AND : the site looks REALLY juvenile and stupid. Get a screen shot from 2001 and USE THAT TEMPLATE ! ! !

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 00:36:57 2019

Earlier this year I was wanting to buy something in particular so tiptoed onto ebay. For every listing that came up that was what I wanted to see, when I clicked on it, I had the worst time trying to find the descriptions. Some of them were on the second page and those paying to promote junk I wasn't interested in got the big spot. Then they kept insisting on asking if I wanted to see more wrestling magazines, and no that wasn't what I had been looking for! Nor did I want to see the swimsuit edition of SI! It was ridiculous as well as a pain in the neck.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 03:21:17 2019

I have uBlock Origin installed in Firefox and it provides a very clean experience in search with no ads shown.
I've yet to manage a rule to filter the recommended and promoted ads within listings.
Ebay programmers feed random titles to these elements so it's a bit difficult but I am working on it.
I suspect there are quite a few others doing exactly what I'm doing and I strongly suspect the percentage is a bit greater than 2 ;)

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 06:37:41 2019

Leave Ebay if you're not happy :)

by: uppercutknives This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 10:33:40 2019

I have found it very difficult to buy on ebay due to the pushed ads that litter what I'm looking for. The ads that come before the description serve to cut my train of thought while purchasing an item and I often just find myself typing in "amazon.com" where I can easily and quickly locate my item and complete a purchase.
Ebay has become useless as on online marketplace.
Indeed, leave if you don't like it !!!

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 24 20:19:17 2019

>>Chicago 48, indeed I did leave ebay after 20 years as a powerseller. I continued to buy items for a short while, however I now buy near nothing on ebay.
I have found it very difficult to buy on ebay due to the pushed ads that litter what I'm looking for. The ads that come before the description serve to cut my train of thought while purchasing an item<<

Precisely. I did quit eBay years ago. I was speaking as a buyer that I had to dig through all sorts of ads to find what I was looking for and then had to slog through more ads just to see the description AND was usually very disappointed by sellers choosing as a description a sentence or less. I don't know if the sellers are giving up or what, but most items usually need more than a truncated sentence to describe something. How about trying to "sell' customers a product instead of going with the quick and easy way to make money flow?