Mon Sept 9 2019 12:03:17

Quirk with eBay Vacation Settings Could Trip Up Sellers

By: Reader

Dear Ina
Thought I'd send you an eBay oddity that has existed for years. To turn on Vacation Settings, you click at the top, but nothing really happens. You have to read through and also click at the bottom to not let people buy anything. So really Turn On Vacation Settings does nothing.

I am sure MANY have gone on vacation with their site still open and got messed up with eBay.

This is the site of a billion $ company....
Best,
Martin

Perminate Link for Quirk with eBay Vacation Settings Could Trip Up Se   Quirk with eBay Vacation Settings Could Trip Up Se

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 9 12:27:43 2019

Ebay wants sellers to knock themselves out selling on their platform and then when sellers want to take a break from knocking themselves out, ebay makes it difficult for them to do so.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 9 12:44:16 2019

It's been that way for a long time. Checking the first box allows your listings to be seen and purchased. Ebay merely informs the buyer that the seller is away and there may be a delay in processing the order.

How many buyers really notice or pay attention to it? You come back from vacation only to find that you have a pile of late shipments because you weren't around to fill the orders.

The second box, when checked, notifies the buyer that you are away and not taking any orders. In fact your items are mostly eliminated from search results. You lose the sales, but at least your shipping metrics aren't messed up which will follow you for months and likely cost more than the sales lost during the time away.

Typically if I am gone for a day or so, I will just extend my handling time by a day. Anything beyond that I will forego the sales entirely.

Learned my lesson a few years back. It's unfortunate there can't be a better way to go away. But it is unlikely to change.

by: trimos This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 9 14:45:32 2019

Beware when I come back from vacation and turn on my sotre again.  The items do not show until each listing is revised lol.  You can do this in balk by revising them with out changing anything on the listings.  Until I do this nothing will show if I search for my items outside my store.  This has been going on for 3 years I know of.  I complain but as usuall nothing happens.  Make sure after you take your store off vacation to look for your items for sale or you will not get any sales as they may not be visible until you revise your listings.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Mon Sep 9 16:10:38 2019

I always seem to get an increase of sales when on vacation. Now I do try to keep in touch with my buyers, but I also increase my handling time to match the duration. Actually we're only going away for two days this week, but I need a week away from there right now. Just getting worn out.

You can still sell while away as long as you change your handling time. When you return, the bulk processing of changing the handling time back seems to bring up the listings faster.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 12 02:25:59 2019

The vacation setting is not that difficult to deal with.  Certainly we need to actually read the screen that appears before us when doing this function and not assume you know what it says.

There is the option to hide listing or not hide the listings because some sellers want one or the other settings.  So absolutely.  To put your store on vaca is not one click and go.

1.  Turn on Vaca setting.
2.  If you want a message to appear on screen for buyers, there is a field in which you can create a brief message.  This message will be seen when someone enters your Store.
3.  Select a date that you will be returning, this date will display to buyers.
4.  Check this next box if you do not want buyers to be able to purchase your items while you have your store on vaca.  If you don't mine purchases happening during this time, the do not check this box.
5.  Click the Apply button.

I don't know what you are clicking on at the top.  The vaca setting is located in your Manage Store page, on the left side of the page, towards the bottom.

ebay-store/account-holiday?id=4090

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 12 02:28:06 2019

@trimos

"Beware when I come back from vacation and turn on my sotre again.  The items do not show until each listing is revised"

It is not necessary to do that.  Once you turn your vaca setting off, your listings will return to be visible in your store to buyers.  But you do have to give it a little time.  It isn't immediate.  Depending on how many listings you have, it could take an hour or two.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 02:49:14 2019

I agree with CanBrit

I too find that when I set my ebay account on vacation mode more sales comes in.  It does not pause your account. It continues to be visible and buyers can still buy

Earlier this year when I went on vacation and came back I almost wanted to leave it that way. It seems thats you get more sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 12 02:53:19 2019

@donald

It only does that if you do not hide your listings from buyers.  That is a dangerous thing to do if you can't meet the handling time stated in your listings.

The setting that you need to remember to check the box for when setting your vaca setting states the following:
Keep people from buying your fixed price listings while you're on vacation. Your auction style listings will still run as scheduled.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 03:07:10 2019

Marie, did it again. She clarify for us the vacation setting. Is true that there's a check box to check  if you don't want buyers from buying.

Now Marie I ask you why do we need to specified that?  Either we are on vacation or we are not?  If we are on vacation how are we going to be able to process our orders? Please enlighten us?

Another example why Amazon is kicking ebay's ace. On Amazon we only need to check on or off when we go on vacation.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 03:34:46 2019

This hasn't changed in, I don't know, 15 years?

by: rover This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 04:03:10 2019

The check box to hide your listings from buyers is not in a prominent place. I have missed myself in the past.

Be aware that it can take upto 24 hours for all your listings to disappear entirely. Similarly it can take the same amount of time for them to re-appear. Last time I used the vaca setting one item stubbornly remained visible in my store so I put the price up to $100000 hoping that would deter potential buyers. I dont want to have to correspond with buyers when I am supposed to be on vacation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bidonmine

Thu Sep 12 09:47:52 2019

My solution, when I will be away,  has always been to end all listings. Relisting is easier then cleaning up order messes. You should also be sure to have the ebay messages go to your phone.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 12 13:50:52 2019

@donald

Because there are lots of sellers like CanBrit that prefers to have their listings available for sale while they are on vaca and they just extend their handling time to cover the delay in shipping.

It is rare for something to be the same for every single seller.  There are just too many of us with a diverse set of business styles and life styles.  So flexibility within any given rule is only a benefit to sellers overall because we aren't all alike and our needs are all alike.

So there is good reason for the options.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 12 13:58:48 2019

@rover

I'm not sure what you mean by "prominent".  It is a screen in which you have several things to take into consideration when setting your vaca.  All anyone needs to do is pay attention to what is before them.

It is simply a list of things to be filled out or considered.  Nothing is hidden or in fine print.  But we all have to pay attention and one would think a seller would when putting their store on vaca.

You start off by checking the box to put your store on vaca.
Next step: Do you want a message on your store stating you are on vaca?
Next:  Check the box and put in the end date for your vaca.
Next: Check the box if you want your items hidden from buyers during your vaca period, or don't check the box and they will be available to buyers.

You are absolutely correct.  It can take a little time for all your listings to disappear.  But one would hope you have come to set up your vaca setting before it was time to run out the door.  I've never had it take 24 hours, but then you may run more listings than I do.  Mine have always disappeared in less than 2 hours.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 14:25:59 2019

I tried to purchase an item this morning. It's in my cart & I get the message that the seller is on vaca & there may be a delay in receiving my item. BUT it will NOT allow me to actually purchase the item anyway.

Asks me if I want to see similar items for sale....

WTHeck?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 12 14:30:42 2019

@cvsharkey

If a buyer has placed a seller's item on their watch list or in their cart, it will remain there, but the buyer can't purchase it if the seller has their vaca setting to block purchases while they are away.

Sometimes sellers need to be away from their computers for some period of time for an endless list of reasons.  So that is why you got the message.

It remains in your cart [unless you delete it] and/or your watch list so that buyers don't lose track of the item.  Some will be willing to wait until the seller returns and some won't.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 18:57:23 2019

Smart business owners read the fine print and directions, and don't assume.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Sep 13 10:38:53 2019

@Marie
"That is a dangerous thing to do if you can't meet the handling time stated in your listings."

Due to disability we can only ship once a week. I use the handling times very effectively. If we're shipping in three days I change the handling time to 3. In two days, I change it to 2.

What can be so difficult about setting the handling time?

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 13:28:17 2019

eBay makes everything difficult and deceptive on purpose. Because in the end it means more extortionate money for eBay by causing chaos, confusion, disputes, returns, and seller penalties. Far too many settings, hidden selections, defaults that always favor eBay, on and on, etc. Then you have eBay always claiming how easy it is to sell and buy there, how easy it is to use their site. You just can't make this stuff up! eBay is not a selling platform, it's a money collecting scheme run by con men.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Fri Sep 13 19:46:35 2019

I got back from vacation a couple of days ago and re-activated my listings.  They did not appear within the hour, so I tried the bulk revising suggestion.  A few hours later they appeared, but that is what has been normal for me year after year.  No difference, so save your efforts there.

Also, when you make all your vacation selections for messages, listings, etc., don't forget to APPLY the changes, or they will not stick.  Sometimes we get caught up setting dates, having our listings shown or not shown, handling times, and writing auto-response messages.

Also, it's a good idea to TEST all the different settings to see that they are fully operational instead of just trusting it.  From another account or guest, go through the motions of buying something, sending a message, putting things in a cart.  Better to find out before you leave if something isn't working quite right.

The vacation setting is a big benefit to owning a store, but it can come back to bite you if you haven't set things up correctly.  Same if you had a brick and mortar store that was closed for vacation.  You would triple-check everything.