Wed Aug 14 2019 16:41:59

Seller Says eBay Displays Her Ads but Not Her Listings

By: Reader

eBay has started to just show the Sponsored or Promoted Listings on the first 5 slots of my division in Jewelry and Watches. My original listings are not on the page at all.

That means that if my item is liked by a customer then the customer has to buy the "Sponsored" item. This costs me $8.XX for each sale I make over and above my listing fees.

I do not believe that this is legal or indeed proper for eBay to do since I cannot sell my item without paying the Sponsored Price. What am I to do?

I signed up for Sponsored Listings because eBay assured me that I would only have to pay the percentage of the sale on the listing that stated "Sponsored" and no addition fees on the original listing.

Now there is no original listing pictured in my division. eBay does this on each page, just putting Sponsored items in the first 5 or 6 slots. Can you get to the bottom of this?
Thanks,
Sue

Perminate Link for Seller Says eBay Displays Her Ads but Not Her List   Seller Says eBay Displays Her Ads but Not Her List

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 14 18:58:05 2019

That is exactly what Ebay is trying to do, make more money from less sales from its Sellers.  This type of thing is going to happen more and more on Ebay until Sellers finally wake up and stop handing their money over to Ebay so freely.  I have started selling on other sites and absolutely refuse to give Ebay even 1% in Promoted Listing Fees, even when I get $30 per quarter for free.  I am just not going to get started in the ripoff that Ebay is now creating.  As long as Sellers are willing to continue to give Ebay more and more % of their sales through Promoted Listings, this is what Sellers will see.  I wonder what Ebay would do if all Sellers suddenly stopped giving them the Extra money for the sale?  I am not suggesting taking your listings down for a week or even a day, but I truly wonder what Ebays reaction would be if suddenly all 75-80% of Promoted Listings were ended?  I know they still get paid on those for another 30 days, but when those 30 days run out, Ebay is still going to need to show sufficient GMV to be able to survive which means they would suddenly have to start showing non promoted items a lot more than they currently do.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Aug 15 00:49:34 2019

@Silver Ice King

I've never been involved in "promoted" listings.

I feel I pay eBay enough for the service I get, either someone buys my item or they don't.

I'm not paying to get higher in search on 1 or 2 pages of results. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Aug 15 01:47:20 2019

Just Horrible.
More evidence that a NEW VENUE is imperative.
We WANT to run our businesses OUR WAY.
NO INTERFERENCE from corporate WHATSOEVER.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 05:23:22 2019

I wish there were a GOOD WAY for you OR INA to put in a SCREEN-SHOT of what you are describing.  I have yet to see anything that matches what you are describing, but offhand it sounds a LOT like what happens if you GOOGLE the UPC code for one of one's items and then click "SHOPPING" from the top line string of GOOGLE choices.
NOT saying YOU are confused, rather that it sounds to me like the MORONS at eBay are trying to emulate that GOOGLE page.
On the one hand what GOOGLE shows does NOT necessarily result in any $$ gain for GOOGLE ( I've been the high-lighted listing for particular DVD / Blu-Rays several times and paid GOOGLE exactly $0.00 for any of those events.)
BUT the GOOGLE Shopping page is DANG HARD to maneuver thru to see the REALLY "Best Deals".  Even if you tick off the CheckBox for "only show NEW" there are STILL used items and AUCTION items that jump to the TOP as Least Expensive vs. Brand New.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 09:25:14 2019

When I look through listings (in general - not my own), usually its that the regular listing is right below the sponsored one.

That makes me scratch my head ... why pay for a sponsored one when the regular one is there anyway ?

Plus why should there be 2 of them to begin with? Dont the dopes in San Jose state that you cant have more then 1 listing for each item?

To me - and everyone is free to do as they please - it smells like some kind of eBay scam. They "cant guarantee listing placement" (says so when you list an item) but they magically can if you PAY extra?

Any time you get involved with eBay theres some game going on. Nothing is there to HELP you - unless your wallet is too big and heavy for your pocket and you need help emptying it. (Maybe Uncle Good Grief can come can carry it for you?)

Another day, another eBay scam.

This user has validated their user name. by: unsuckEBAY

Thu Aug 15 13:10:26 2019

"put in a SCREEN-SHOT of what you are describing.  I have yet to see anything that matches what you are describing"

Great idea. I have now several times personally witnessed this item 'ghosting' behavior showing only the promoted listing (by performing an explicit item title search resulting in *only* the promoted listing being shown).

That said, if any sellers who use promoted listings reading this might be interested in helping with an experiment *and is okay with the results being publicized* drop an email to unsuckebay@protonmail.com with your store info and we can go from there.

Other than that (and specifically for the the motley tools who insist on perpetuating misinformation), keep in mind there may be significant unknown variables resulting in different search returns, even if performed at precisely the same moment with the exact same search criteria performed on clean browser sessions from multiple IPs and geo-locations. It's not an event that can be necessarily replicated on-demand.

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 13:29:50 2019

The lesson here boys and girls is that eBay does anything and everything for more of your money. You just cannot trust them with any aspect. At every turn, they are trying to use you and your listings for their profit at your expense.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Aug 15 13:57:07 2019

Just when you think Devin can't steal more money from sellers, he (or one of his minions) comes up with a new scam.

This user has validated their user name. by: unsuckEBAY

Thu Aug 15 14:57:09 2019

@ANGRYLLAMA, it appears just like this screenshot in the community forums post linked below, except instead of a duplicate listing showing attached immediately next to the original, only the sole sponsored (promoted) listing is surfaced:

COPY-PASTE (clickable link above)👉 https://ebay.to/2Z9LPPw

(Also, these days I believe the sponsored listings are more frequently found near the top of the search results.)

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Aug 15 16:17:33 2019

@unsuckEBAY

Some of us can't see that unless we sign out and clear all of our cookies. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: unsuckEBAY

Thu Aug 15 17:28:41 2019

People need to stop using Internet Explorer - it's a significant security risk (even Microsoft says so http://bit.ly/2KPWacz )

Install Firefox (or Opera, or Chrome, or even an 'alt' modern browser like Brave or Vivaldi and use the easy-to-use 'incognito' or 'private' browsing function they all come with to browse the community forums if you've been banned - with no need to dump your cookies).

That said the pic is just of a search result with a sponsored listing right next to the regular listing - something that ads no value whatsoever to sellers (or buyers, only eBay) since most buyers are as likely to click one or the other.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Aug 15 23:44:10 2019

EBay will just tell you that the sponsored listing on the actual selling category page is just one of MANY THOUSANDS of impressions that you are receiving through Promoted Listings, so don't sweat it.  Consider it a bonus!

They should give you THAT ad free of the promoted up-charge, since it is competing with your chance to have the buyer just click on the ordinary listing, which won't cost you more.  Or let you choose whether or not to put it on the item category page.  If you are using PL to try to stand out among hundreds or thousands of listings, being at the top of the item page might be important to you, and the whole purpose.  If there are only a handful of results anyway, maybe not important at all.  I have had searches return 5 results - 2 sponsored, 2 identical to the sponsored, and 1 random match.  So it looks like 5 matches, but there are only 3.

Putting ONLY the sponsored listing on the item page, and not your regular listing, is just plain WRONG.  But that's the ebay way.

Also, Sponsored Listings are NOT considered actual listings, more of an ad.  So it's not actually a duplicate listing situation.  It wouldn't kill them to make the PL look different than a regular listing, but they haven't figured that out yet.

Maybe instead of Promoted Listings, we should call them Pirated Listings.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 16 03:56:36 2019

@Silver Ice King writes the truth.  I no longer do Ebay and haven't since May.  I am happy happy happy.  And makes better quicker sales on other sites.

by: HardWorkingSeller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 16 05:08:58 2019

Promoted listings go into a small number of specific slots in the search results page - for example third and fourth from the top.  And that can place them next to the native listing when the search algorithm determines that the original listing should be placed second or third in the list of results.

Should eBay suppress the native listing in this situation?  Probably if they did sellers would complain that eBay was forcing buyers to click on the promoted listing boost their profits via the additional commission.

So they probably cant please all the people all the time.  As a user of Promoted Listings, I don't want my regular listings hidden or down-ranked in search just to avoid duplication.

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 16 09:05:58 2019

Ebay uses my photos to advertize cameras on Facebook. Yet blocks my sales on its website. Business is dead for me? Why? 99.5% of my business is on ebay.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 16 09:46:22 2019

Are you sure?  I do promoted listings once in a while and have sold the promoted listings -- but still have not been charged the extra amount--which means people are buying from my "regular" listings--so they are there somewhere--just not one the same page as promoted-which are at the top.  I've also had promoted listings "liked" while in the promoted state but sold after the promotion ended and haven't paid extra on the item.  I can't be sure if the original lookers who check like are the buyers though.

by: Mamak This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 16 11:45:40 2019

I have experimented with promoted listings and at this time I promote all of 1500 of my listings at the trending rates.  45% of my sales are from promoted listings on the  average.  So if my promoted sales fees average 7-8%,  and 45% of my sales are charged it ends up being less than a 4% cost to advertise all of my listings which can easily be built into your price.  In the current eBay atmosphere how else do you get seen especially if you sell in a saturated market or catagory?

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 16 13:23:19 2019

@Mamak eBay's "trending rates" are definitely a scam and heavily tilted toward their favor. More money for eBay of course! If anyone really thinks they need to do Promoted Listings, it shouldn't be any more than 1%. Your exposure and impressions won't be much different if at all. This has been talked about on the eBay community board and even some of the larger sellers only do 1%. It's a waste of your money to do more. But this is how eBay operates. Trying to convince everyone to jump through their hoops and that it will benefit you. Nothing is ever for the user's benefit, only eBay's.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Fri Aug 16 23:17:06 2019

Regarding Promoted Listings, everyone has to make their own choices.  We all have different circumstances - different margins, different financial positions, different tolerance for fees, etc.

We are all in the dark as to what the actual impact Promoted Listings actually has on sales.  There is nowhere to refer to for empirical data.  Mamak offers some insight as to results obtained, and finds a 4% average upcharge to be tolerable.  There are reports that 1% is enough to get the same results, but a very small sample.  I don't think we have a prayer of sorting it out.