Mon July 1 2019 22:06:59

eBay Seller Gobsmacked by Number of NARUs

By: Reader

I've been selling on eBay for 17 years. Just for fun I decided to look at my oldest feedback.

In what should certainly be a sobering sign for eBay management I was blown away by how many former buyers and sellers are designated as "no longer a registered user".

If you're a long time user take a look at your oldest feedback. It's a real eye opener. The number of ex-eBayers is astonishing!
Louis

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Gobsmacked by Number of NARUs   eBay Seller Gobsmacked by Number of NARUs

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jul 2 03:25:23 2019

WHOA!
You're not Kidding !
TONS of 'em !

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 2 06:15:34 2019

TWO pretty obvious scenarios:

1.)  VAST number of disappointed Buyers and Sellers who gave up on eBay, Moved ON, and never gave it a backward glance.

2.)  Alternative Theory of the CRIME... Along the same lines how eBay "LOST" millions of Seller Provided Photos for their own listings..... eBay INTENTIONALLY or ACCIDENTALLY deleted these buyers/sellers after a period of inactivity... OR if not DELETED their computer system was commanded to PURGED ITSELF of records beyond a given DATE and broke the LINKS to those Years Old transactions.

Given the ascendence of AMAZON and their Game Changing PRIME program.... the defection of so many BUYERS seems the most likely choice.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 2 09:47:14 2019

Well I seem to remember after they were hacked in ? 2014?  I think, there were a couple million people who never signed back in and changed their password as requested.

I'm sure some of those are the same folks you all are seeing as NARU now.  But the attrition is stunning when you actually look at it.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Tue Jul 2 09:55:21 2019

Wow! Pages filled with unregistered users. Lots have shooting star FB.

I believe that far more people have left this dump than anyone could imagine.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jul 2 10:23:26 2019

Looking back at page 95 of my feedback I see about 20% of my buyers are NARU

After 19 years that seems like a very acceptable number.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Jul 2 10:36:21 2019

I've mentioned this on the forum before. Of course it was only one person's feedback I was looking at, but by the time I reached page 10 over half of the people weren't there.

Of course I was sarcastically told that you cannot assume anything from one member. I beg to differ.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jul 2 11:38:48 2019

I checked my feedback, and there a number of NARUs, mostly low feedback sellers who probably couldn't handle the ever-changing policies. I did notice one seller with over 20K positives, and another with over 13K positives who are no longer registered.

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 2 12:49:07 2019

Incidentally, all of these unregistered users are likely still counted in eBay's data as "active" be it either sellers or buyers. How else do you think that their numbers such as "active buyers" continues to grow and grow when actual sellers everywhere say there are far less buyers? More eBay funny business, that's how.

by: leathermermaid8 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 2 13:21:20 2019

I've noticed quite a few of my saved sellers who are still around either stopped listing or no longer have stores, as well.  At least two have their own websites and others list across Amazon, etc.

The novelty of ecommerce has worn off, there's much more competition.  It's also much more complicated doing business with the constant changes and so on.    No point in hanging around if it's not fun anymore and not profitable.

by: Saintsteven This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 00:59:05 2019

Same here.  I didn't spend a lot of time on it, just looked at my last five pages or so, which would have been 1999, but lots of NARU's.  I also noticed something else-most transactions had the item number still displayed but a significant number had an item number of -0, which looked like it was lost.  I suppose that had something to do with some disruption of their database, but I don't remember anything massive like that.  Of course, there's lots of stuff I don't remember from 20 years ago :).  I also noticed that I had a lot of mentions of things I sold which I'd be unable to give away today..........

by: mastoyshop This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 01:26:22 2019

Tool Guy is right too, what Ive found is a lot of my buyers were sellers and a lot of them have passed away.. or just gotten too old to deal with ebay. One of my friends that I talked into joining ebay, Melbasgems passed several years ago w 20k or so feedback, Blooms and several other ebay cafe members have passed on.. at least 6 in last two years.. maybe more.. so yes some have left for Bonanza, Etsy, their own website or just retired.

by: mastoyshop This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 01:29:01 2019

oh and I was sick had surgery and just now recovering after 2 years so my store is there on hold and they owe me money.. Im hoping to dig back in soon. Have had some days of updating info in Auctiva, ebay, Bonanza, my website.. etc..

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 02:04:11 2019

17 years? I'm not surprised. I checked over the 18 years of FB I have on my main ID and see some NARUs but hardly an excessive amount. A  lot of people don't stay at a job for 18 years, why would they be selling on an internet venue that long, particularly when many don't make their living doing this, but are just selling part-time or occasionally?

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Wed Jul 3 02:39:40 2019

Going back to my first page in 2001 (out of 200 transactions) approximately 15% are NARU. Not bad.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 03:04:27 2019

I've been with eBay for 21 yrs now, with 640 pages of feedback. I make my living selling on eBay.

My business is the type that doesn't generate many repeat buyers, and at the early stage of eBay, 1998, some had low feedback counts but many had high counts for the early years.

What I see is mind blowing. On nearly every page, half or more are no longer registered.

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 07:20:48 2019

Since 98 when i joined ebay many sellers and buyers have passed on to the big flea market in the sky. Also many quit ebay because its a very hard place to do buisness on.

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 08:39:56 2019

After ebay reads this, ALL info past 90 days will completely disappear never again to expose the buyers gone bye bye...

This user has validated their user name. by: Bidonmine

Wed Jul 3 09:51:39 2019

Going back to 1998,,,, Looks like from 2008 to 1998 half the buyers are gone.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 11:13:14 2019

Not really - they seem to have worked hard at driving sellers away!

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 3 11:35:36 2019

I'm sure some of those accounts were closed because the  user wanted to change their user name. While it seems easy enough to do, some (many?) users may not realize it's an option.

Other sellers may have closed an account because they got too much (or even ONE) negative feedback, but they may still be active on eBay!