Sat June 29 2019 15:18:29

Should eBay Allow Buyers to Revise Feedback Unrestricted?

By: Reader

Long story short, an eBay buy left a negative feedback for me. I resolved the issue with the buyer which was very minor, and the buyer was happy.

The buyer sent me a message on eBay below which clearly tells eBay to remove my feedback. I spoke to at least 5 eBay reps and messaged them on Twitter, and they won't remove the negative. Even though the buyer clearly states to remove it.

I know the next question is do a revision. I'm out of revisions. I was given 5 for the year.

To put in perspective, I have been on eBay since 1999 and have 10k listings. I've sold nearly 1k items already year-to-date and have had to use revisions on random issues all which have been taken care of with positive results.

Those 5 revision requests account for half 1/2 a percent of my sales. So I don't want people to say wow you used all your revisions requests! Yes, I have, but I have sold 1,000 items and have had 5 of which were random issues popped up that were resolved and would have been resolved sooner if the buyer contacted me prior to leaving feedback.

In conclusion, this boils down to elementary school common sense. If a buyer says remove my feedback, then remove it. It's the easiest call an eBay rep should have all day.

Instead I speak to a real gem in customer service who puts in notes about the case basically saying under no circumstances remove this feedback because I essentially told her she doesn't have a shred of common sense.

Great job, eBay, you have listened to the request of the buyer and the seller that pays you tens of thousands of dollars every year.
Daniel

Note from the editor: Per the eBay policy (which applies to sellers, but impacts buyers): "You can only request a revision for feedback that is less than 30 days old, and can make 5 feedback revision requests per calendar year."

Perminate Link for Should eBay Allow Buyers to Revise Feedback Unrest   Should eBay Allow Buyers to Revise Feedback Unrest

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 29 20:29:22 2019

1000 sales and used 5 revisions. How about this We have had 74000 sales and no revisions.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 30 01:28:01 2019

Ebay are criminals. If the buyer wants it removed it should be unlimted like im sure big boxes and china gets.

This user has validated their user name. by: unsuckEBAY

Sun Jun 30 10:11:29 2019

The 11 million dollars in bonuses eBay threw their customer service and trust exec (Wendy Jones) last year could have staffed another 300+ jobs for US-based CSRs in the Draper call center (or funded a lot of other things that would have made a significant material difference, like a revamped help system).

Asinine policies like this reinforce rigidity and minimize CSR empowerment ensuring there aren't exceptions made that would set precedence for eBay.

But just like with stupid laws, stupid corporate policies can be changed, but only if the company cares.

If the buyer explicitly stated to eBay their desire for removing the neg, there is no reason, *especially* for a company that purports to be customer-oriented like eBay (yet fails miserably in that aspiration) to not remove the neg.

Rigidity is the antithesis of agile, and eBay needs to behave much more like an agile technology company, not the bloated, gluttonous embodiment of it's pirate-captain Wenig getting soused at his self-indulgent legacy landmark, Walker's West, gleefully rolling in his millions like Scrooge McDuck, whose wealth was funded and created by sellers like the OP.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sun Jun 30 14:51:36 2019

To ask for a revision, you first have to care about your feedback.  Now that it is NOT a metric that affects you directly financially, just your general reputation, a lot of sellers ignore it, can't be bothered with it, will spend their energies and resources elsewhere.  That's their choice, and they are free to do that.

My goal is not to have occasion to NEED to revise feedback.  So far, so good.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 30 15:29:34 2019

most of the time a "revised" feedback means the seller paid off the buyer for the revision.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jul 1 01:50:52 2019

Ina,

This is one of those Ebay policies that conflict with itself.  You are right.  It does say that you can have only 5 revisions in a year.  But it also says you can have 5 revisions per 1000 transactions.

Of course it could be clearer.  Now is it saying that you can only have 5 per year or is it saying that you can have 5 per year PLUS 5 extra for each 1000 transactions.

Beats me.  It could be read any one of those three ways.  Clarity would be good.  LOL

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 07:53:45 2019

Well, solution is eBay should discontinue the feedback system. Instead go to # of sales, Period. Only 20% of buyers leave feedback anyway for sellers! The feedback system is dishonest to small mom and pop operations and heavily favors huge eBay vendors. The error in the system lies in the math of the feedback % calculation. While i am at it, RETURNS policy is also causing eBay to lose billions per year, DISCONTINUE that and let you payment method vendor like PayPal handle it.No feedback, No returns!

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 09:48:21 2019

I have had 21 years of transactions well over 40K total and have maybe requested 2 or 3 revisions. Just live with it and stop obsessing

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jul 1 10:11:28 2019

Cut Daniel some slack as we don’t know what he sells. Some category of goods simply garner more return issues.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Jul 1 11:41:42 2019

When you can't leave necessary negative feedback for a buyer, that's wrong.
And underhanded.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 12:23:32 2019

Honestly, I thought eBay FB was forever - I didn't know about the forgiveness revisions because I haven't had the problem.

From another angle -- I don't pay much of any attention to feedback.  With sales in 5 figures (or even higher 4s) one or two make about as much difference as spitting a couple of times into a full bucket of water.

Also, my own experience from a couple of times I have had real trouble (with a SELLER, from whom I am buying) after we resolve everything, I have to agree to CANCEL the transaction -- so can't leave feedback on a bad deal where it would have been really important !!!

The last bad one was a purchase I made that I COULD have sent back as SNAD - but did not, taking what I thought was the high road that the seller was ignorant, and sending the item back to him at my expense. Whereupon he refunded the ITEM payment - but KEPT the original $25 postage I had paid (which should have been returned as part of the original purchase price - since he didn't pay the return shipping) !!

Happily, I did get refunded for it when I filed a complaint via PayPal, which upheld me and refunded me the $25.00 that Seller was keeping.

Was I able to file Feedback of ANY kind on this in eBay?  NO!!!  because it was CANCELED!!!

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 12:43:13 2019

I never even heard of revisions.  Every now and then a customer does a feedback that isn't warranted and I don't worry about it.  If they weren't happy, they weren't happy.  I still have feedback of 99.7%.

When buying, I figure any feedback of over 98% is fine and it doesn't affect whether I will buy from that person or not.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Mon Jul 1 13:37:01 2019

The ebay rep looked at his long document entitled "All avenues of income for ebay" He scrolled and scrolled and did not see FB removal and therefore denied the request.

He then went into his 'ways to monetize everything" spreadsheet and under suggestions entered  "All FB removals will be assessed a $5 handling fee."

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 17:58:12 2019

From the compare and contrast department -

Hope ya'll are following the thread in the other blog about how eBay lets their mega enablers get away with selling practices that mere mortal one-off sellers would be splayed alive for.

Apparently it's not all that difficult to have eBay 'sanitize' your feedback.  All you need to do is pony up a few Mil into the eBay 'New York-Like' piano bar tip jar (via PL), and you won't even NEED buyer agreement to have their words erased from the bg FB blackboard.  Especially if they're based on fact.  Because it simply boils down to this: eBay does not face fact, because eBay does not want fact.