Mon June 10 2019 16:40:41

Time to Give Auction Site eBid Some Exposure

By: Reader

Love your EBytes. I recently closed my store on eBay and quite happy and at peace. My question - I have moved my listings to EBid. They still have the regular 1, 5, 7, 10 day listings.

I think a lot of folks need to know more of this marketplace. Sure they are a UK site but still let you decide if you list global. I just today moved my feedback # there and I can start making sales.

We need to also talk about them so people with auctions have another opportunity to sell like they are accustomed to with less fees. They have a great setup!

Remember, they have been around since 1999. I think it's time to give them some exposure don't you? Have a great week!!
Vicky

Perminate Link for Time to Give Auction Site eBid Some Exposure   Time to Give Auction Site eBid Some Exposure

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 19:27:48 2019

alternatives need to be discussed as a whole, once ebay starts collecting payment for people, there will be a large exodus.

ebids, ecrater, etc are good ideas..but both have some issues

If I were either one, i'd be optimizing their sites to utilize better marketing and get more buyers, thus taking the easy steal from ebay.

by: FLEbaySeller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 11 06:45:15 2019

I am continuously looking for alternative site. Ebay is pushing us away. Any information anyone can pass along will be greatly appreciated.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 11 08:09:57 2019

The only problem with Ebid is there are no buyers there... I think you'll find, as I did, that I can't get by on one sale a year... and after 5 years there I average less than that one sale per year...  :(

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Jun 11 17:11:01 2019

eCrater really needs a bulk editor, even if it's just to move items to different categories, toggle their visibility, and delete them.

eBid needs to support alternatives to PayPal.  Seriously, with the multitude of payment processors out there (Square, Stripe, Google, etc), why does every single new marketplace support PayPal and only PayPal?

by: Vicky This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 11 18:57:26 2019

Hopeforthebest: I'm also a buyer to. I became a lifetime seller over there. What the heck. I'm also on Bonanza, Marketplace, and my own Webstore. It's slow now with summer grads and vacas. I also for the most part Google compliant. I throw tweets out,Pinterest FB groups. You name it, I advertize. You choose your own setup and payments. The best thing I love about it is I'm just using 7 and 10 day listing lol just like old times the kicker Ebid has a auto relist of up to 10 times. I don't need to sit on my keyboard to end listings. Now I have more time for other things like inventory, more listings, estate sales and finding niche  source for the webstore. I'm retired lol I got time now. Watch their gross merch value and items for sale at bottom page. Beautiful day today!

by: Vicky This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 11 19:21:12 2019

RKTOYS They take suggestions. Now when you hit a search, you get what your looking for not a bunch of promoted stuff and nonsense. My guy set up the payment options. So I didnt see all what they had to offer. I did see a pppay for currency money orders CC. Ebid is like what Ebay used to be before Wall Street. Just riding their wave

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 12 08:44:01 2019

Ebid is a very good alternative to Ebay and from some comments in the forums a lot of new sellers are listing there.
If you use their lister to move your Inventory, you get a " cheaper than ebay " graphic as the inventory has moved and is listed on Ebid at a cheaper price. FVF can be either 0% or 2% for Seller Lifetime sellers.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 00:56:50 2019

I've been open to moving from eBay for a long time. The problem is no other venue seems to have the traffic that's driven to eBay. I've listed on eCrater, Bonanza & Etsy and simply didn't get the exposure that eBay offers. I've never heard much about eBids at all, so thanks to the writer for recommending them.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 02:27:49 2019

eCrater is the only alternative site I get sales on.  Not eBay volume, but still over 2000 transactions in the last 7 years.
Now if eCrater could implement volume pricing like eBay has, that would be a big improvement.

by: ySirTinLee This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 04:01:56 2019

I like webstore.com
It too lacks good traffic, but it's a full selling platform, not just a "buy now" platform.  Many good feature and it's free.  No fees whatsoever.  They ask for donations!  Check out webstore.com, you'll be glad you did.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 07:08:00 2019

@hopeforthebest - I tried Ebid and it was a mess.  Especially when it came to customer service and trying to close my account.
I do wish they would advertise and promo more, but nowhere on social media are they mentioned.  And Ebid MUST be mentioned on social media for people to try it.

by: FrankLancs This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 07:38:12 2019

I use to like Ebid Both sold and bought but over time its faded, I find the problem with Ebid as a UK seller, they don't advertise themselves. It cant be left to the Sellers to get the customers.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 08:19:59 2019

I've been on eBay since 1998. After my first year I tried getting away from eBay. Sites I've tried. Epier,ecrarer,etsy,ruby lane, I offer,5miles just to name a few. Dozens more that no longer exist trying to escape ebay. Always had to follow the traffic which remains on eBay 21 years later.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 08:24:15 2019

I too dream of finding an alt site to ebay.  As a seller of antiques/collectable etc I would never under any circumstances use Amazon.
I have tried Bonanza and Etsy and both bombed.
I am a Canadian seller and ship worldwide (with some blocked countries) so having an embedded shipping calculator on a site is  absolutely critical to me.  We have had dim calculation of postage for years now and since I have a huge variety of weights and sizes of items for sale there is no way I can estimate postage  for domestic let alone international & US.
Several times a year I send an email to any site I find that might be of interest and ask if they plan to add shipping calculators for Canada Post and the USPS.  So far not a one has said it is even being considered.
How hard can it be to add this  critical tool ????
I am sure that many sellers are in the same bind that I am........cannot sell on any site that does not have this feature.
I have been on ebay for 21 years so remember when buyers were willing to write and ask for a postage quote before bidding........those days are gone so potential alt sites need to get up to speed with offering necessary tools.
I eagerly await the chance to list elsewhere, but am chained to ebay as long as no one else meets my absolute need for calculated shipping.

by: Disgruntled_Seller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 09:22:59 2019

eBid! Might as well just retire

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Jun 13 09:56:39 2019

Bonanza, eBid, Etsy & eCcrater

All duds when it comes to sales

Those sites are for hobbyist, not those seeking to earn a living selling on line. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: VV

Thu Jun 13 10:04:15 2019

Surprised no on has mentioned Mercari. Started using it last October and have been pleasantly surprised. 10% fees are very helpful. Have been able to move some old stock from ebay that otherwise would have just sat or even been donated.

by: Judy F This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 10:10:20 2019

I've been on eBay since 1999, ready to leave it behind.
I've also tried other sites, ebid, ecrater, bonanza, but absolutely NO sales.  I think the issue is to learn and execute basic online advertising.  They don't do it for me.  Need to learn social media advertising.  I'm wondering if a YouTube channel could be used to show off my items.  Maybe that would bring customers..The payment issues are another concern.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 10:14:31 2019

unfortunately eBay has the antique collective vintage market all to themselves when it comes to auction listings. eBid has absolutely no bidders.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 13:46:55 2019

The problem with alternative sites is they don't advertise themselves - so people have no clue about them.  It's a vicious circle: no advertising = no listings = no buyers = no income to the site = inability to afford enough advertising = and round and round.

eBay made itself a household word. That is why it is the ''only'' place. There have been many hopeful competitors but they all fold because of the $$$$$ costs.

I check ebid and ecrater (quite a while ago and from time to time) and neither has any of the traffic for the items I sell.

I find one of the best uses of eBay is to keep contact information of my buyers and get them looking at my own site listings.

And re: payment, buyers can use just about any credit card through PayPal.