Wed Apr 17 2019 11:11:30

The Dawn of the New Era of eBay GTC

By: Reader

Of note is that today, 4/17, is the dawn of the "new era". The last of the non-GTC listings should have cleared the decks by now. The last opportunity a seller had to post a non-GTC was 3/17, as the new mandate took effect 3/18. So a 30-day listing posted on 3/17 expired yesterday, 4/16. Now we see how things compare in the 2 parallel universes.

As a seller, I am not happy about losing the choices of duration, or ending time, etc. We don't get to be in control of much on eBay, and there goes that little slice of freedom we enjoyed.

I used to like to analyze my expired listings, figure out which ones I had room to discount, or what I could do to update them. Gone now. Might not matter, since we are talking about fictional, invisible listings, mostly. But one always holds out hope.

I buy on eBay roughly the same quantity as I sell. One thing I am looking forward to is waving good-bye to the many repetitive listings that used to parade along when I did a search filtered by Most Recent (new listings). Yup, same listing group I saw 7 days ago. Yup, same prices. Or 30 days ago, and ago, and ago, ad infinitum. I have seen some groups of listings at the same price, same 30-day renewal for over 3 years straight.

It will be interesting to see how much the "new" listing count drops now that recycled listings don't exist. Except those that are manually ended and then restarted. Hopefully that practice will get old quickly, and go away.

I have been tracking the numbers of new listings posted each week in the categories I buy in. I should be able to see how things compare under the new rules. I'll let you know if there is any significant change.

Have to go list some stuff now. eBay has offered me 25% off FVF's on my next 50 NEW invisible listings. Easy for them to make that offer, as they will never have to ante up. People can't see it, I can't sell it, no commission to discount. Looks good on paper, though. Very benevolent.
All the best,
Lightning

Perminate Link for The Dawn of the New Era of eBay GTC   The Dawn of the New Era of eBay GTC

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 18 09:37:36 2019

Concerning sellers who have been blocked by ebay or warned that their performance is substandard, one must understand that ebay WANTS TO GET RID OF YOU! Ebay management is shortsighted, delusional, dishonest, and just plain dumb. Their chickens will come home to roost. Ebay is beyond salvage.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Thu Apr 18 10:04:30 2019

@Lightning

Open an InPrivate window in Microsoft Edge or an incognito window in Chrome and search for your listings Best Match sort. Try other sort orders to determine if the count changes. In the Stamps category, eBay search may return so many spurious results that buyers won't find relevant listings, even if they are in plain sight somewhere in the list.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 18 10:59:32 2019

Since this shake up of things, I have 9 sales all month.  And knowing that my brand new listings or my ready to expire are the ones that sell - you can see how I feel about this mandatory change. It stinks!!

by: rfmtm This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 18 11:23:43 2019

Ebay does indeed control what results are shown from a search by various means, often even ignoring the actual search parameters and filters.  Whether this is influenced by location or other unknown rolling criteria, is unclear, but it does seem plausible considering my own and other’s observations.

Ebay’s more obvious overiding controls over what is seen include, “Best Match”, “Most Relevant Listings”,  “Most Relevant Category”, and “Expanded Search”.  Less obvious, is the misdirection due to apparent problems with the “Catalog” and “ePID’s”, incorrectly linking items, which also control search results.

Call it hiding listings or whatever, it often obscures even an exact match or lowest priced item the buyer is looking for.  While this doesn’t appear to happen when only a very small number of similar items are listed, it increasingly does as the number of listings for that item goes up.

I have yet to decide why eBay does any of this, as it is certainly not fair to sellers, and also sends frustrated buyers elsewhere.  Now with GTC only, it appears to be getting worse.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Apr 18 11:29:36 2019

100 free listings

Nothing on eBay is free!

We all know it's a trap for insertion fee's

What bothers me the most is that eBay thinks it's sellers are stupid

We are far from it, in fact I bet we have more selling experience then 99% of the ebay employees do. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Thu Apr 18 12:35:52 2019

@toolguy

I belive I've showed you just how screwed up ebay search is before. Here it is again.

All categories

apple ipod green - 511 results

green apple ipod - 305 results

There are 10s of thousands of other variations in every category. The lost sales daily just for this must be in the millions. Just because one says ebay works great, doesn't make it so.

by: Happy Cat This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 18 12:42:12 2019

Rexford, sadly I fear it isn't by choice that your Obiwan is refraining from posting. Nor do I think it kind or fair to passive-aggressively blame Toolguy for the apparent departure of many previously daily posters.
Some of us don't come here for the stories, news, or E-commerce reporting or even have any idea what GTC is or what the fuss is all about. Some of us visit this site expressly to be entertained by Toolguy and to keep up to date on what gun parts he is selling and looking for, and to see him for the 100th time lure some unsuspecting mark into another another debate about visibility of his stuff on eBay.
At least Toolguy is entertaining, and I can't say I have ever seen that from any of your posts, let alone actually helpful or informative, which all appear the same sad, dull, and boring rehash like Eeorye to Toolguys fun and lively Tigger, it's the wonderful thing about Toolguy! Go Toolguy!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Apr 18 13:09:20 2019

@Happy Cat (aka Mrs. Toolguy) - You can add me to the group that does not think Toolguy is amusing or entertaining. In the space of one day, on different blog posts, he either loves eBay, hates eBay, loves Amazon, or hates Amazon. I've decided he has split personalities like Sybil. I would much rather read what Rexford is thinking than have to endure the constant promotion of Toolguy's products. Ina should start charging Toolguy for advertising on this site.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Apr 18 14:17:14 2019

@Happy Cat ~ :-)

@iheartjacksparrow

My wife has NEVER posted on this forum.

I've mentioned it to her but she has no idea what the domain ID is. . . .

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 18 15:16:56 2019

Tool

"eBay needs to buy 10 tons of junk and have their inside people sell the stuff and see what the real world selling experience is. I bet it would open some eyes to the problems we face daily."

And you know what? You're %100 correct. Shocking that I agree - but I do.

I would add that eBay honestly believes that sellers are expendable. If you loose some then "no worries" theres always more.

Its like government (any - local, state, federal) when it comes to spending - just keep going - its only tax payer money - theres ALWAYS more.

DW and the upper crust of eBay have no idea what selling is like. Some here - live off it - and thats scary when a seller has ZERO control over any part of the process.

Which is what eBay wants ... but why do "that" to your "partner" ??????

Stupid thing is - that if a seller is profitable then eBay would be as well. But such thinking is beyond eBay rational.

ebay also "isnt stupid". They know quite well that some sellers have no choice BUT to use eBay - and take advantage of that fact.

Fully 2/3 of the items and categories (in my case) are blocked for various reasons. Nothing I can do about it - so if I want to sell any of those items - its eBay.

THAT, eBay knows - and they extract their pound of flesh.

Thats what was changes when JD took over from Meg (whom I never had any issue with). A new VENGEANCE happened when he took over ..... and while not all sellers felt that change - I know I did. The fake VEROs, the fake returns issues - it all started under JD.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 18 15:40:03 2019

So now censoring occurs on this site....my post was taken down....nice.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Apr 18 15:46:35 2019

@Scotty

Sometimes we all need a little censoring for our own good.

David & Ina have taken my foot out of my mouth more then a few times. . . .I'm OK with it, it's their site and I'm just happy I can post here.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 18 19:35:31 2019

''My question is why would you sell something that 10,000 other sellers are selling?''

That would be an even more interesting question to ask - in Mandarin.  Perhaps recalling how eBay actively solicited their favored foreign 'partners' to actively manufacture 'copies' of many of those very same ''10,000'' items precisely BECAUSE they were in demand would also add further interest.  Funny how THOSE ''sellers'' somehow found that advantageous - somehow overcame the 'apparently obvious' competition concern.

But let us - for argument sake - go ahead and pretend that glaring counterpoint doesn't exist.  Even so, there's still logic to overcome in the question of what comprises 'rare'.  It's very definition also implies limited finite quantity.  In other words, there is only so much 'rare' to be had in total aggregate across ALL categories.

And in 'Tool Terms' - what might be supposed would comprise an 'answer' were all sellers to attempt to sell 'rare' used aircraft tools?  *Poof* goes 'rarity', that's what.  Extrapolate for any category - same result.

Meaning that not only is Pace spot on with noting a clearly logical 'inability' for all sellers to source and sell 'rarity', but that the question itself is thus logically rendered absurd to ask.

And even if all THAT can somehow be ignored, consider this.  How many sellers might one suppose who were expressly NOT retailers - who DID offer items of relative 'rarity' -  AKA 'OOAK' items - across the board in many or even all categories - in multi-quantities of listings - as a BUSINESS specifically modeled to do such - and WERE sucessfully profiting until eBay decided to manipulate, disadvantage, compel, criminally collude and quash that form of entreprenureship - and are now made irrelevant to eBay's corporate vision, and are now thus gone?

Here's a hint: it's orders of magnitude more that ''10,000''.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Apr 18 21:31:13 2019

@Snapped

Let's substitute "rare" with "Made in the USA"

I say that with American PRIDE

The last thing I want to sell is something made in china!

I'm in the US not china, I like Quality over cheap price!

As far as sourcing good American made product, if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

The low hanging fruit of eBay was picked 10 years ago.

You have to very competitive to survive now days as a seller on eBay. . .Unless you want to sell $5 items at .10 cents profit. . .

I like selling $5 items I paid .02 cents for

You don't make your money when you sell an item, you make your money when you buy it right. . . . .

by: ThisGuy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 24 18:12:41 2019

Does anyone remember the Good Ole' Days of Ebay, when if you searched misspelled words, it gave you only the exact data for what you input?

Example.  You searched "Chevy Camaro", it gave you 100,000 listings.  You searched "Chevy Camero", it gave you 5 listings.

Because those items were misspelled, you either sold it at a loss, or you got a great deal, all because no one saw it.

That's when the search worked as it should.

1 2