Wed Mar 13 2019 09:37:04

eBay Seller Baffled by Pattern of International Exposure

By: Reader

I wonder if you are having the same problem with eBay.co.uk as we are having here in UK, with eBay.com

For reasons unknown only 67 of my 616 listings on eBay UK show up on eBay.com. I have eBay friends here in UK with the same problem. It makes no difference if you have an eBay shop or sell privately.

All the other eBay sites show most of my items. So what is wrong with the mothership - eBay.com? I don't believe this is intentional.

I do not use the tick box for displaying on eBay.com so why do 67 items show up? I have asked eBay about this many times but they have never got back to me with an answer. This has been ongoing for almost 2 years now.

My account is in good standing and has never received a negative FB and no low DSR ratings. I have never incurred any sanctions and eBay agents have remarked that it is an impressive achievement over 7 years trading.

What happens when you test your "see other items" or "visit shop" links?

USA 67 show up on www.eBay.com
Poland 613 show up on www.eBay.pl
Hong Kong 604 show up on www.eBay.com.hk
Malaysia 604 show up on www.eBay.com.my
Philippines 604 show up on www.eBay.ph

Thanks,
Jon

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Baffled by Pattern of International Ex   eBay Seller Baffled by Pattern of International Ex

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 09:52:13 2019

Perhaps in the UK a lot more people are selling the same items you do than in Italy.

Therefore you get less exposure in the UK than in Italy, or the Philippines.

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 10:17:01 2019

@hopeforthebest

The OP states.... USA only 67 out of 616 listings appear for sale on www.eBay.com

All listings should still appear regardless of what is for sale.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 12:14:35 2019

''All listings should still appear regardless of what is for sale.''

Some categories have MILLIONS of active listings. Are you really going to page through 10,000 pages of listings looking for a widget?

Overall Ebay currently has over 1 BILLION active listings.

They've got to get the number of items they present during a search to something manageable.

The ''All listings should show all the time'' statement is why people don't get their products shown in search.

First you have to understand WHY things show up in search the first place, and why they are ranked where they are.

In the case of the UK seller, international shipping is very expensive right now. Plus it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.

Why would EBay show his listings over those with a comparable price but a far lower shipping charge by a local vendor that will arrive in a few days?

Answer: they won't.

Ebay's purpose is to SELL STUFF. Why would you promote a product that is less likely to sell over one that is highly sellable? You don't.

UNLESS there are no comparable products in the destination market. Which gets you a boost in search.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Mar 13 13:30:08 2019

I want all of my items to show on ebay.com

As far as all the other countries I sure hope they are NOT showing up as I only ship to US addresses. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Mar 13 14:10:48 2019

There are folks here pretending that they know how eBay search works.  They don't.  No one does.  And that is a big problem.

What most of us do know is that eBay takes our money and hides our listings.

by: bpm This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 16:00:59 2019

This is a well-known Ebay glitch; it also happens on my account, and has done since at least 2015 (when I first reported it to Ebay CS). I reported it again in 2017 through 2018 on a number of calls, including follow-ups where I was added to their IT ticket for this. You can all guess the outcome, cant you? No fix from Ebay, ever.

Eventually I did find that editing ads could force them to show on Ebay.com, and I am desperately wracking my brain to remember what exactly I did that worked (I've just checked my account on .com and less than a quarter of my items are showing there, so the issue is back for me).

Before anyone wastes their time looking, there were absolutely no common features to the ads that were showing on .com versus the ads that weren't showing; it appears to be random.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Mar 13 17:20:13 2019

@Rexford

I DON'T have to pretend to know how eBay works!

Why can I say that, because I find what I'm looking for and I buy it. . . .

My items aren't hidden, how can I say that?

I SOLD IT

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 14 01:16:38 2019

@Toolguy

It is going to be so interesting to see how  you respond to Ebay being such a great site when they force you into Managed Payments and will not send your money daily to PayPal but will ACH them to your bank account, which will take 2-5 days.  You know its coming and you also know as we all do that Ebays search has been broken for years but continues to get worse and worse with all of these untalented programmers trying to make it do all the different punishments that Wenig wants to push onto the Sellers who do not bow to his wishes immediately.

You may find what you need now because of what you happen to be looking for, but many buyers are not able to find what they want, only what Ebay wants to show them which is why Ebay no longer shows any type of real growth and has become dependent on non FVF revenue to survive.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Mar 14 03:41:26 2019

@hopeforthebest
I agree completely with @Jono77.  If you pay to have something listed, it should show on whatever sites you agree to ship to, and equally so.  The OP does not seem to be referring to a particular ''search'' for a specific item.  He is trying to find HIS items presented on all sites.  Any time you go to a seller's store, or his list of items for sale, EVERYTHING that seller has should show, without exception.  That's what you paid for.

As far as searches being truncated because there are too many results, that's wrong, too.  If there are 10,000 items at 100 per page, then there will be 100 pages.  Or should be, I would say.  EBay is getting PAID to show them.  If someone is crazy enough to still be scrolling through items on page 100, that's their prerogative.

If someone has that many results in their search, it just needs to be narrowed down.  No search can read the buyer's mind and locate exactly what they want, so they have to add some keywords or filter it.  But the buyer should be in control of that search, not eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Mar 14 03:55:47 2019

@Toolguy
You are comparing your experiences with others, and dismissing their issue because it doesn't affect you.  You can't feel the problem, the pain and frustration it causes, so you think it doesn't exist.  That's a pretty poor test, and very close-minded, as people have pointed out before.  But you aren't getting it.

You have the benefit of selling specialized tools and parts, a very narrow market.  Your items have a good chance of being visible ALL the time because they are not mass market items.  I have the same luxury, and even then there are times that my items are at the bottom of the search while less attractive items are above mine.  Just happens that way.

We should both be thankful we don't sell items that are flooded in the marketplace.  And at the same time, we should sympathize with those who struggle to get enough items seen and sold to survive amidst the giant sellers.

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 14 06:24:43 2019

@hopeforthebest

No I do not scroll through thousands of listings I use the link the OP suggests.

What happens when you test your "see other items" or "visit shop" links?

by: redheadedlady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 14 08:56:05 2019

@silver ice king
I was a test person for the managed payment.  NO ACH at all.  The money was transferred to my bank account every day without fail.  It was nice.  But, people did not understand that they could use a credit card and not paypal so sales went down.  I opted out with no problems and sales have picked up again.  During the two months I did the managed payments, I had no ebay fees to my account at all.  It was fast and easy.
Glad to hear everyone knows everything about everything.  Personally I liked the managed payments and would do it again.

by: WhatsUp2656 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 14 09:19:30 2019

They throttle. When I speak to CS and mention I’m over throttled, they do not deny it any time I have spoke about it. One thing I have figured out is if you watch your listings on the weekends, you will see very little activity. Why? In my opinion, the anchor stores paying lots of money need to sell theirs. I believe the anchor stores are hurting to pay fees at times. They have to keep these people happy. During the week I can sell some things. I had an account for about 5 years. Suddenly I was barely selling anything for months. I kept calling to ask why. Come to find out all of my items were showing up in other countries, but not the United States. Even the American reps could not figure out how to fix it. I couldn’t figure it out because they mirror your products. I had to close that store and use my buyer’s account and start all over. It went great for two months. It was coming Christmas, so I purchased products based upon the volume of sales.  I’m still waiting to sell many very nice items with the lowest prices. A couple of years ago (before the change of countries), I traveled about 3 hours away to care for my aunt who was ill. I searched for my products (about 120 listings) and only 40 were showing up! I have been so over throttled with great scores (100%). I also believe if you have to call CS, then you are throttled no matter the cause. What am I doing about it? Working hard on my Shopify store and though it’s a small volume of sales, I’m getting there.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 14 14:16:52 2019

OP ...  might it be tied to your RETURN preferences?  Are your listings OTHER than those 60 some set to a Different return Length of time/days?

I looked at  about 4 or 5  other eBay sites and  ONE was about 100 less than my 1,400-ish total withe the others varied by only about 20.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 14 23:27:29 2019

@redheadedlady,

I am glad that you loved dealing with Managed Payments.

How was the money transferred  to your account?  Having spent almost 13 years in the Credit Card Industry the standard method of sending the money to the customer is via ACH.  Wire transfers are to expensive for both parties and even though you may have gotten a deposit in your account every day I will bet that the money was NOT from the sales the day before, but from a few days earlier as Ebay only gets the money from  Adyen the day after they process the credit card batch.  Most banks take 2-4 days after the ACH is sent to them for it to settle in and the funds be available.  If you have daily sales then yes you would receive money daily, but for sales that you supposedly sent out to your buyer days earlier so the shipping cost as well as the cost of the item was all out of your pocket until Ebay processed the payment.

I am glad that you were happy with Ebays efforts, but Ebay has proven over and over that they have no idea what any change to their code is going to do and refuse to test it themselves as they do not want to spend the money, although they PROMISED to do so.  I have read comments by some sellers that there were issues with the processing and receiving payment was not always timely.  Unfortunately you chose a field that I do happen to know an awful lot about. I have no problems if Ebay decides to take their fee out when the payment is made to me, although i do prefer a monthly billing so I can look it over for mistakes, which Ebay is known to make.  I also like the added bonus of receiving the 1% back from my CC company for their charges.

You opted out because sales dropped as buyers did not like using their credit cards on Ebay instead of being able to use Paypal.  Even when they add Paypal back into the mix I will bet there will be a lot of unauthorized transactions filed due to the name that Ebay finally decides on using shows up as the Seller instead of who they bought it from.  When that happens Sellers will then have to bank on Ebay fighting those charges which means they will have to have a complete department to handle these issues which costs money.  Wenig has already shown that he will do everything on the cheap, especially since it will not cost Ebay any money when a Seller loses a case, in fact Ebay will make an additional $20 per chargeback, so there is no incentive to win the cases.   Base on historical moves Wenig will hire another croney or lackey to run the department and will staff it with personnel that are no threat to him and his yes men.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Mar 15 04:40:46 2019

In my experience :
The gremlins in the maintenance department like to hack, unhack and mess with our settings.
We need to make this intrusion a crime punishable by 3 years in prison.
DO TOUCH IT !

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Mar 15 04:42:26 2019

I mean....
DON'T TOUCH IT  :o)
It's early.......

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Mar 15 18:16:44 2019

10% of my sales used to be international. I haven't changed my settings. About 2% are and they are usually customers who have bought from me before.

This changed quite a while ago. And then throw on that stupid visibility for the UK site. I'm supposed to be visible there if I sell internationally. IDIOTS!