Tue Dec 24 2019 13:00:53

Seller Says eBay Turned on Global Shipping without Notification

By: Reader

Please alert your readers to a recent concern about eBay Global Shipping Program (GSP).

eBay without notifying us, opted us into the GSP for high value items that were designated as USA delivery only. Items that were already designated for International shipping (not GSP) were not affected.

We turned "off" the GSP after discovering this unacceptable eBay meddling in our business.
Bruce

Perminate Link for Seller Says eBay Turned on Global Shipping without   Seller Says eBay Turned on Global Shipping without

by: bpm This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 24 13:42:37 2019

This happened to me a few months ago; I've always sold everything to everywhere (with just a very very few exceptions due to size, weight and low value). I sold an item and noticed it was GSP - never had GSP, although I do know perfectly well what it is, I just never needed it.

Checked my store - every single thing was now GSP; called CS to point this out, and cancelled GSP on all my items. No harm done (for once with an Ebay glitch - wish I could say the same right now about the latest glitch).

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 24 14:28:45 2019

Thankfully my listings were not opted in, but it did happen to me once a while back.  The condescending eBay associate I got on the phone had the audacity to suggest that it was my error.  I explained to her that this was not one listing, this was ALL of my listings (over 800).  She still stuck with her story that maybe I screwed up 800+ times.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 24 15:11:51 2019

As often as these types of "glitches" happen, I have to think it's not by mistake.

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 25 09:14:36 2019

the eBay GSP is a total ripoff in addition to everything else. This week I spoke to a man who sold some Chinese cups (4 of them for $350) to a man in SHanghai from the US.

The GSP cost for sending them was OVER $200, the seller checked with the USPS and the REAL Cost was under $80 sent via priority mail. The $120 disparity begs a few questions...

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Dec 25 10:41:31 2019

@plcombs - Unless eBay changed its procedures, don't all the GSP packages go first to Pitney Bowes' facilities, where the contents are inspected to be sure the item can be imported into that particular country, and then repackaged for the carrier that will handle the shipping? If that's still how the system works, then your "missing" $120 probably covers PB's costs (you know they aren't working for free), eBay's cut, and the higher cost of using DHL (or whoever they use) for delivery.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 26 07:00:33 2019

“ GSP packages go first to Pitney Bowes' ...“

Then this eBay ‘approved to enhance buyer experience’ Freight forwarder (and nothing more) is subjecting buyers to a 2.5 x multiplier markup on shipping. Which does not require repackaging, nor inspection, nor last mile costs beyond the US’s sandy beaches. Those last three things actually ARE ‘industry standard’ incidentally.

If it did cost near that, the other three quarter zillion parcels schlepped overseas would cost - bad as that is now - that much more too. And All that’s before customs!

No wonder the sellers find it distasteful to use (except for eBay’s expensive ‘promise’ to protect after PB’s ‘services rendered’). But that’s like asking the buyer to pay for seller protection FROM eBay, like some kind of warped buyer’s premium.

Pretty good money though for a no-bid contract that just happens to also increase the take for the grantor proportionately, eh?

Kinda explains eBay’s constant drama over ‘pricing’ too. Don’t have to look greedy to still be that way.

Which begs a question long pondered: why are the victims of this stuff always thought of by the perpetrators as “suckers”? Who’s doing the sucking?

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Dec 26 08:27:53 2019

Oh, and it's a laugh riot when Etsy Employees mess with my dash board...changing the order of my orders.....

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 27 02:20:24 2019

This happened to me, as well - AND they opted me into guaranteed delivery.  Both of these events happened in the same week (about 10 days ago).  I've always shipped almost everywhere and certainly don't need GSP to do it, and I have 2 day handling even if I often ship sooner - I had to opt out and remove both options from my listings - which I had to review anyway, because the item specifics are still messed up but...whatever.

It's wise to check both of those features if you don't want them.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 27 12:38:46 2019

I used Pitney Bowers three times and they failed twice. A pair of Levis jeans arrived in their center and was never seen again. A Disney VCR tape was packed in bubblewrap and arrived smashed in a paper envelope with no padding. Needless to say two out of three buyers were not happy with me or Ebay. I gave the buyer back her money for the tape. Ebay gave the Buyer back their money for the jeans, but I still had two unhappy buyers. So it is easier to just stick to five countries with tracking and do my packing.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Dec 27 12:50:06 2019

eBay opted us into Global Shipping once!

I had to make a call to their legal department and explain that US Military Surplus was NOT allowed to be sold overseas and I had agreed to that when I purchased the product from Boeing. . .My stuff is for US sales Only!

eBay never opted us back into the program. . . . .

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 28 21:42:43 2019

AKA the kill em all and let God sort it out maxim.

They got the idea from the motto on the back of every one of those gazillion dollar bills they get to float while the dust and debris from their forced global opt in grenade settles.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 29 00:19:20 2019

GSP used to be a ripoff, but in the last year found they could ship heavier items for far less than i can directly.

I have a 12lb item that will fit in a 12x10x10" box that the gsp quote is $27 to ship to the uk.

Priority mail is $95 at the post office to ship directly there. Is there something i'm missing? Can i somehow ship it myself to the uk for less than $27?

by: Denny This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 09:28:11 2019

I put all my listings on 0 inventory because I would not be around for the Xmas holiday period to ship anything and e-bay changed it to having inventory causing me to have a sale and then send me this crap below.

Shipping overdue - Ship by Dec 27
You didn't ship your order within your specified handling time. Ship it as soon as possible.
Estimated delivery date shown to buyer:Jan 2, 2020

by: MG Enterprises of WI,Inc This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 15 23:07:06 2020

This happens more times than I can count! It's another "eBay's way or the highway" policy we assume because it doesn't appear to be correctable! We watch that box on every listing or any time we make a change. We catch it checked many times each month! Not by us either!!!