Thu Nov 7 2019 12:01:29

Some Guy Just Dropped Off a UPS Package

By: Reader

Thought it was weird, some guy in his personal car just dropped off a UPS package. He said they are hiring seasonal drivers that use their own vehicles.

UPS must be taking a page from Amazon's playbook. I have never seen UPS do this before.
Christine

Note from the Editor: The reader is referring to Amazon Flex, launched in 2015.

Perminate Link for Some Guy Just Dropped Off a UPS Package   Some Guy Just Dropped Off a UPS Package

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Nov 7 13:32:21 2019

That isn't good......

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 21:20:23 2019

NOT a good idea, from an ID / security standpoint in particular, but we have had this happen on rare occasions.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 06:23:07 2019

I don't understand what the problem is. You got your package didn't you. Our mailman drives what seems like a different vehicle each day. A replacement on some days drives a different vehicle. No markings on any of them. Thats life no everyone drives something with decorations on their vehicle. As long as we get our mail without having to redeliver it in the neighborhood I don't care if the fool drives a scooter pulled by four barking dogs.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Nov 8 10:55:25 2019

I buy a lot on Amazon (probably too much....), and the packages I get with Prime next day delivery are almost always by a person driving their own vehicle. I've only seen one individual driving a van with a "smile" on the side. I've never had a problem with a package being tampered with, or any other issue regarding the contents. I imagine the people making the deliveries are either not qualified for a more lucrative job, or it's a second job because they need the extra money, so why would they jeopardize their job by stealing packages? UPS and Amazon know who's working for them and would most likely terminate those individuals immediately if they were doing something wrong.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 12:01:44 2019

My own experience makes me LESS SURPRISED by this than the several of the posters above.
I owned my own REAL company for 20 years and ALL of my employees and ESPECIALLY MYSELF made deliveries to Local Louisiana customers from time to time.  The closest to SHOCKED buyers were the times I made the deliveries myself in either my Porsche or my Very Own Class C AMBULANCE that still had the emergency lights and NAME of the Hospital on both sides of the body.
My other example of "some guy" deliveries is that 40 years ago my then-wife worked at the DownTown "Main" Macy's store.  There were 3 OTHER full-line Macy's spread out around K.C. in "major malls".  She was especially in the Leased-In Shoe department.  When there came to be NEED for size 6-1/2 AA in some specific shoe color the company thought NOTHING about making up a Multiple pair package and calling YELLOW CAB company to pick up at Macy's shipping/receiving D.T. for delivery to the MALL store that needed them.  Price was some NOW-KOOKIE seeming $10 for the entire package when using UPS for ONE pair would have been $5-ish AND UPS could NOT have make the pickup/delivery the SAME day.

by: Cargo11 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 18:49:26 2019

Actually - the use of your own car helps in some - not so great areas - theft cars follow UPS/Fed Ex trucks at times and help themselves to dropped off packages - but an unmarked car does not lead anyone to think - wow a mail vehicle - follow that car.  Actually the two that dropped off Amazon in their own vans had the handheld to show a picture of where the package was left and they said "hello and thank you for shopping..." and they were - GONE!

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 20:45:01 2019

Good point, Cargo. I've actually gotten used to seeing my postal peeps driving their own cars on occasion, particularly during the busy season. These days, most of what I order for the folks online comes from Amazon and they have their own vans in our area now. Haven't seen any drone deliveries, yet. LOL

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 22:10:29 2019

The message here though, is be careful who you open the door for - if they're asking for a 'signature' for example.

Remember too, that anybody can deliver a package. But not everybody can deliver hundreds, every day, accurately, efficiently, on a clock. Even with practice. Or there wouldn't be so many WIMP* complaints.

*Where Is My Package???

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 9 04:32:08 2019

I have an insurance policy on my collectibles that also includes automatic coverage for all packages that I send or are sent to me BUT they will not cover any packages delivered by UPS. They cover every other carrier except UPS.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 10 11:33:22 2019

slowly slipping away into 3rd world status - these corporations don't want to pay all the benefits of regular help. can they squeeze a few more bucks out of the common mans pocket? these poor people need a job and are willing to utilize their own vehicles just to have one - is anyone getting it yet?

by: ElectronixRecyclers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 11 11:42:52 2019

Whatever,

Apparently, there are people willing to take the job and use their own vehicle.  Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.  If UPS told existing drivers they had to start using their own vehicles, you'd have a point.  But, when you're competing for employment, the fact that Guy A is more willing than Gal B to use a private vehicle makes Guy A the better candidate.  To suggest anything else is anti-competition and anti-free market.

by: Zarzuella This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 12 03:05:04 2019

this

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 12 05:01:55 2019

AMZ, UPS and Fedex are using whatever services and people they can to deliver packages.  As long as they don't come into your home or building, I think it's OK.  The Drivers should also have badges or jackets that say UPS.  I wouldn't want a STRANGER with no markings dropping off packages.  If the OP is very concerned, he should contact UPS and demand that the drivers have ID or jackets that ID them.
I'm sure these gig economy people are grateful to get the work.  But they need to be ID'd.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 12 09:09:18 2019

It happens around here too especially around the holidays but I've seen it all summer long. They are suppose to have a vest and a badge around their neck with their id badge.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 12 13:11:37 2019

UPS doe NOT subcontract. It is more likely the package was someone mis delivered and the person was correcting an error. I have dome the same on my street.

by: DebraD This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 13 11:41:08 2019

Ok, so the individuals that UPS has hired are "seasonal personal vehicle" delivery drivers and are temporary employees of the company, who have to submit to criminal background checks, drug and alcohol testing, motor vehicle check, etc. They are not contract drivers, however they are paid a mileage reimbursement at the federal rate of $.58 per mile. This is peak delivery season, a usual delivery route may have 100+ stops per day, between now and Christmas that number can reach 300+ per day, or more. It makes sense that delivery companies must hire additional help. These drivers are being paid $20+ per hour depending on location. Obviously, no benefits are paid, but covered by workers comp and liability insurance. They drive their own vehicles because the local UPS terminal may not have enough trucks to handle the package volumn, but the packages must still be delivered on time. There is nothing shady going on here. I used to own a Fedex Home delivery route, trust me, this time of year is Crazy!