Mon Nov 4 2019 23:07:34

eBay Seller Wins Appeal but Still Loses Top Rated Status

By: Reader

I thought you and your readers would be interested in hearing how eBay is manipulating their Seller Performance Policy to line their own pockets. We have a closed without seller resolution defect that I was able to appeal and get reversed and found in our favor. We have received the funds for the transaction via a payment from eBay.

However, the defect is still showing on our October evaluation while it has been removed from our future November evaluation. This one defect has pushed us below Top Rated and after multiple calls to eBay this morning, they are refusing to remove it from our October evaluation.

The reason eBay is refusing to remove the defect is because they can now keep more fees from us until we are evaluated next on November 20th.

I have asked each eBay customer service rep to point out where in their policy it states they can do this and nobody has been able to give me a straight answer so it's obvious this is a pathetic cash grab by a desperate company.
Thank you.
Upset seller

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Wins Appeal but Still Loses Top Rated   eBay Seller Wins Appeal but Still Loses Top Rated

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Nov 5 02:29:23 2019

When did they reverse / find the return request in your favor?  Maybe there is something in the date that is driving their issue of being able to help you.  Whatever their reason is I do agree with you in the respect that it is unacceptable.  I don't agree that it is to grab more fees from you.  But really that doesn't matter, they should be helping you.

To be clear, the one defect did not knock you out of TRS standing.  You had other defects, this one is just the icing on the cake that put you over the top.

I can't offer you any clever way to help you get this fixed.  However you may just get a better result if you go to Ebay for Business on Facebook.  Often times they seem to be a little better at assisting on issues.

I hope you will be able to find a way to get their attention and get this issue corrected.  Oh you can also try Ebay on Twitter if you prefer.  If social media isn't an option for you, I'd keep calling.  I know that isn't something you want to hear, but it is certainly what I'd do.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 5 09:16:22 2019

More to the story as one defect doesn't cost you your top rated seller carrot.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Nov 5 09:29:24 2019

@Upset Seller - Don't post to Facebook as they can delete anything they don't like. Do post to @AskeBay on Twitter as posts there cannot be removed. Good luck.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 5 12:12:05 2019

Morning Business Outlook: UPS is forecasting record-breaking online shopping returns this holiday season

LOL the 2 evil twins US & eBay

by: TFB12 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 5 12:49:13 2019

Good afternoon, this is the OP. The one defect was the "straw that broke the camels back." We had 3 other defects and this 4th one pushed us over the .30% limit. The other 3 defects were also Cases Closed without seller resolution. We are in a high fraud category "cell phones" and our returns manager tries to fight every fraudulent return (switched out phone, empty box, iCloud locked, etc) but never wins the cases. Moving forward, we are going to just issue 50% refunds under Free Returns and call it a day.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 5 13:24:04 2019

TFB - I feel your pain - which is why I more or less stopped selling RB Amazon Tablets.

Despite the words REFURBISHED, I get SNADs for them "not being in new perfect condition" - even though they come sealed and I cant see what minor scratches may be on them.

The open cases - even though I took them back or gave a discount to mollify them - didnt stop me from getting pushed over the limit.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Nov 5 16:31:59 2019

@TFB12

You need to stop trying to dispute a request for a return.  In the current Simplified return system you can't win no matter what evidence you have.  So you are only hurting the health of your selling account when you do this.

It isn't right and I'm firmly against the way Ebay handles these matters, but it is the reality of how they handle them we have to deal with.

Careful with taking advantage of the 50% return discount when you get that option back.  Make sure you are doing it within the rules Ebay has for that portion of the return policy or you again risk getting your selling account into trouble.

Did you happen to go to social media to see if you could get any remedy to your current issue?

by: Zeekzook This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 5 17:39:25 2019

What is refurbished? Take a used item, wipe it off and put it in a box, if customer complains keep half their money?

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 6 01:08:35 2019

Sounds like a perfect issue for your State Attorney General to handle on your behalf.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 6 08:40:55 2019

"What is refurbished?"

refurbished = manufactorer takes back DOA or damaged items, fixes them so that they work %100 and then resells them at a discount.

Physical condition varies, but they are all useable.

You can buy a $200 item for $75 - pretty good deal - but people have unrealistic expectations (on condition).

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Wed Nov 6 12:06:32 2019

@TFB
I'm glad you straightened that point out because I was certainly going to do that.
"This one defect has pushed us below Top Rated' You certainly didn't state that it was the only one you had. People are far too ready to jump on sellers sometimes.

I'm not sure this will help you but I was going to lose my top rated status this month. In September I was hospitalized for three days which caused 4 delayed shipping dings.

I called CS and explained the situation to them. At the time, that customer service rep said he had removed three of them. Not sure why not the fourth but at least it would leave me in good standing.

On the 21st, I was still top rated, but I still saw those late shipments on my record. Not sure how they pulled that one.

I called again on Friday and spoke to another rep who said he would remove the four late shipments??? Hmm. He kept me on the phone while he did all the documentation. 72 hours later, they are still there,so I guess that I'll just have to wait and see. Very confusion.

Today I did receive an email from Ebay, which states as follows:

"When you deliver on your service promises to create good buying experiences, we will protect you when a buyer falsely claims the item wasn’t described correctly or returns an item after using or damaging it.
Last Month
0 Feedback Removed
3 Defects Removed
$0 Return labels credit
$0 Partial Refund Credit. "

Well it didn't follow any of those protections but seemed decent enough to not damage my standing due to hospitalization.

Maybe it's a case they can't reverse the standing after it's already happened?

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Wed Nov 6 12:08:50 2019

@Marie

IMO, I think your advice is not a good one. Rolling onto one's back is not sound business advice.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 6 12:27:17 2019

"...the .30% limit."

eBay's line in the sand, their end of the pirate's plank before the abyss of the Cassini Sea. Cross it at cost.

eBay's published goal is to monitize take as means to create profit, even if it does 'minimally impact' sales. They have not repudiated it. Those are facts.

'Defects', used as means to draw that line may be reasonable as means to justify sanction when those defects are based on fact. On eBay however, defects are too often not based on fact. eBay nevertheless justifies including those in metric count as an 'acceptable' algorithmic variance that doesn't 'need' actual fact to be close enough for government purposes. It is not.

Those, too, are facts.

Also evidenced, eBay's hypocritical, unethically, inexplicably sporatic behavior to 'ajust' those defects which actually ARE fact based defects useful to record, to favor certain fee paying customers over others. Their swords seemed nimbly tolerant enough to preclude inducing an 'underserved' plunge then.

Even our host OP's (and how many uncountable others?) prodders admit to concience as they meekly 'follow orders'.

Orders that, in fact, increase eBay's take. Orders that can, at any 'time' in fact, be rescinded. Because there is no wrong time to do the right thing either.

Perhaps more a truth than a fact, that last.

by: TFB12 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 6 13:52:48 2019

Just to follow up, after countless calls I was able to get an eBay supervisor to manually remove the defect from last months report. We stopped selling high end refurbished iPhones (X and newer) a few months ago because we can't afford to keep issuing 50% refunds for all of the customers that return the phones iCloud locked, switched out for a different product or not at all. It would be nice if eBay actually reviewed evidence that we provide them but it's pretty clear they have no interest in doing that.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Wed Nov 6 14:33:23 2019

@TFB12

Congratulations and getting a correct response finally. Pretty sad to have to jump through hoops to get them to do the right thing.

As I said, rolling onto one's back is never Good Business Sense. Other's take note.

Well Done.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 6 16:58:04 2019

(awaiting the immanent arrival of the eBay cheerleaders)

But but but theres "Seller Protection"

"I pity the fool that thinks theres such a thing as seller protection"

TFB - you sadly figured out what most of us already knew (and what you knew in your heart already) that eBay doesnt care ..... about your account, what you sell, how much you loose - eBay cares only about itself, the perks slurping BOD, and the appearance that its a proper upstanding company.

As explained to me by some "jack@$$" from eBay CS many years ago ... "taking losses is part of business, and here you have experienced one. Its not new and not unique. We thank you for providing a positive selling experience ...but take the loss - its good for the "team".....

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 6 19:54:29 2019

OMG, Pace! Too bad you didn't record that conversation because that would have been a great piece of evidence.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 02:06:57 2019

If OP thinks this is illegal, he should write the BBB and California Secretary of State.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 02:13:17 2019

I was at B&N today and was unfortunately getting really tired so I can't remember the exact phrasing  of something I saw on their magazine racks at checkout which were moving as slow as molasses. The front of a business/finance headlined an article on companies uses of 'metrics' and with the subtitle saying something to the effect that companies need to look at more things than just the numbers. Many things can make a company terrific, and getting metric hits for getting sick and in the hospital, or being in the midst of a 2-week power outage due to a storm, etc. should not be numbers that destroy a business and cause it to be suspended, or lose a special status because of a one time event. If the seller has 5-20 years of good solid performance and has a one time 'oops' should not be thrown out to the curb. Life happens and it seems that everyone expects folks to have ways to keep their business covered through ever contingency. Not everyone has a friend or family member that is trusted enough to have the Password to someones account if needed to put it in vacation mode. And if your back-up person is your next door neighbor then they won't have any more ability to put your business in vacation mode than you do during a storm.

These big venues forget and do not take advantage of one of the really neat things that small 3P sellers have the ability to do and that to offer customized services as well as apologies when life happens. They take away our ability to communicate directly with customers so that we can't tell them directly "I',m sorry." When I have had to communicate directly with eCRATER customers, I have found them to be very understanding. What they don't understand is finding out long after the fact that their order was canceled and other things like that.The big venues need to not condemn a business for an infraction. Most of us want to do a good job and work very hard to satisfy our customers and grow our businesses. We don't need Amazon telling us we are doing a bad job with canceling orders For me last week 3 in a row due to 'ghost listings'! Items I had sold out on Amazon. After canceling the one order, I discovered that they still had me down for yet another item, so three in total even though I had only ever had one of that item! Yet even though an Amazon mistake, I get the metric hits.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 7 02:44:12 2019

@canbrit

I never never suggested anyone "roll on their back".  But hey you prefer to fight when to do so will only damage your account, you go for it.  Do it all you want.  It won't serve any purpose but to get your account in troubled waters.  But your choice to make.

For me.  I don't function with a short term view of my business.  While I am completely against how Ebay has the current return system set up it will do nothing but hurt my account to try and fight it when I've got an active return request going on.  So YES processing them is in the best interest of the seller.

Separately I voice my complaints everywhere on the subject, whenever I get the chance.  Not that it has done a lot of good, but at least I'm not self inflicting damage on my account.