Mon Jan 7 2019 11:07:34

A Seller Tests eBay Promoted Listing Ads to Boost Sales

By: Reader

I started using eBay Promoted Listings a few months ago. The number of sales have increased approximately 25%.

I started Promoted Listing fee at 4%, and each time I did a new promotion, I lowered the fee 1/2% or so until I reached 1%.

I sold just many items at 1% as I did at 4%... food for thought.
Martin

Note from the Editor: Martin's experience shows the value of running tests when exploring paid advertising, especially given the fact results will vary depending on many variables, including the category of the item you're marketing.

Perminate Link for A Seller Tests eBay Promoted Listing Ads to Boost   A Seller Tests eBay Promoted Listing Ads to Boost

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Jan 10 01:09:37 2019

I don't think Sponsored Listings are the same as Promoted Listings.  I think Sponsored Listings are labeled as such, are charged a fee separately, and paid for whether the item sells or not.  Like an ad.

No one seems to know the magic formula behind promoted listings.  It's supposed to be advantageous placement in search, but no way to quantify if it is happening, how often, etc.  You pay an agreed % when the listing sells only.  If any of that is wrong and can be clarified, please feel free.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 01:48:00 2019

Sponsored listings are promoted listings.  One does not pay anything for them unless the item sells with a buyer clicking on the sponsored listing.  When seller does a promoted listing, the item is listed twice, with no extra fees at all.  If promoted at 1% a $20 sale would cost an extra 20¢.  If sold from the regular listing, no extra charge.  No sale = no cost for promoted listings.  I have sold several items through promoted listings but I cannot say that they have increased my level of sales.

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 08:51:46 2019

@Martin, @Paul W

Thanks for the info. Useful info is always welcome and appreciated.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 08:51:47 2019

I recently realized that my 3% had somehow gone to 7 and 8% which I would never, ever do AND my best sellers suddenly had this promo on them and the last time I listed on a promo I never even had some of these Christmas items yet so I have no idea how they got promoted.  My promos were all on clearance type stuff.  I do not list from ebay so I know I didn't do a sell similar and have a promo carry over.
Apparently, nothing was selling that didn't have a promo on it.  But at an extra 7-8% I have probably lost big time on everything that sold.
Check your items!

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 09:52:34 2019

I sell mostly unique older vintage and antique. Most often the only one like it listed on eBay. I try auction 7 days at minimum price I would not loose $ at. If it fails to get a bid I wait a few week and relist it BIN now at higher price. It often sells at that BIN with the higher price, sound crazy logic but it works.

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 09:53:36 2019

I’ve never buy ever sold 1 item out of hundred on promoted listings and yet ebay charges the fee for up to 30 days if someone had clicked on my listing and then puchased after my promotion but before the 30 days is up. I haven’t seen anyone here acknowledge the 30 day window.

I have also seen promoted listings “photos” shown beside each other like watching the same commercial back to back. I found it odd.

And do we really know if our promoted item is visibly being seen by others or just ourselves? Sort of like ebay showing us our own listed items because we clicked on our own link at some point.

I do not think we should have to pay more for unguaranteed and unproven “supposed” visibility.

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 10:20:09 2019

I meant to say that I’ve never had more then 1 item out of a hundred in the promotion sell when set at 4%.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bidonmine

Thu Jan 10 10:22:17 2019

Last year, in October, I was selling a new Harry Potter play book. I had 300 new books. I listed them as a match to the lowest price on Ebay and sold a couple over a week... I changed the listing by raising the price $4 per book (to $14.95) and adding a 6.6% promoted listing (99-cents per book). I sold out of the books in 2-weeks and made a much better profit. I have been trying various levels with promoted listings, always increasing the price of the item so I did not lose what I originally wanted... Selling has been a little better than in the previous 6 months.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 11:26:35 2019

Somehow, I can't make myself give them MORE money for a job they aren't doing that I have paid them to. It's just feels wrong. No promoted listings here.

by: jdbok This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 12:29:50 2019

I started using it as soon as it rolled out
I end up spending approx 10% and sell promoted listings daily. I am not endorsing paying ebay extra for the visibility my fees are supposed to get me-- I just know that without promoted listing my items don't show in search
I sell used clothing that has a lot of competition and also gets buried under cheap chinese knockoffs.
I use the trending % option and have set my listing to just above trending sometimes and I think I got more sales but I'm not that good at analyzing.
I will definitely be trying lowering my % and see if I get the similar results as the OP
I sure hope so
but its not a big price to pay IMO for search exposure.
I use etsy promotions as well and ebay is much fairer pricing
on esty you pay per click and I have paid much higher % but, as on ebay, a big % of my sales come from promotions. on etsy you can see a lot more stats for your clicks and sales
on ebay you can see your impressions which are quite high then clicks and sales
what I have noticed on ebay is that the trending % has gone steadily up which I think means more and more sellers are using it so its becoming more competitive and I think sellers should prepare for this being the norm.

by: Jim Y This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 10 23:26:49 2019

My sales were slow, so I tried promoted listings.  It did help and I have sold items that were in inventory for a long time.

by: bpm This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 11 15:45:28 2019

Promoted Listings = extreme danger; off the back of this posters experience having a 25% rise in sales I tried putting my whole store on promoted listings on 9th January (I did have 10 items out of 200 on promoted listings for the last couple of months, made no difference, but hey, I'll try anything).

My sales have collapsed to nothing in the last 3 days; I just checked my promoted listings 'Listing Impressions' graph on the seller dashboard just minutes ago - my Listing Impressions ranged from, eg, 6619 on 12th Dec
7840 on 16th Dec
3955 on 25th Dec (kind of what you would expect)
4990 on 27th
6473 on 30th
5637 on 2nd Jan
4760 on 7th Jan
51 (yes, 51 - not a typo) on 9th Jan (the start date for my Promoted Listings)
52 on the 10th

and so far on the 11th, today, 23 impressions. So, use Promoted Listings at your peril, and check the stats daily. I'm sure this is another one of Ebays $500-a-month-Indian-IT-guy glitches (Ebay get what they pay for, dont they?) which will never be fixed.

I've cancelled my Promoted Listings scheme, and will never try it again. Done. Wish I could post a pic of the graph here, it's quite enlightening - and scary.

1 2