Fri Jan 4 2019 21:57:45

eBay Sellers on the Hook for Global Delivery Problems?

By: Reader

I just wanted to inform you and your readers that I just got off the phone with eBay customer service and was informed by 2 different customer service reps and also a supervisor that items sent to freight forwarding companies are now covered under buyer protection.

All 3 employees stated that the buyer has to now admit the item was either reshipped or that they live in a foreign country and this all has to come thru eBay messaging. If the buyer does not admit this eBay is claiming they have no proof item was ever reshipped.

This has never been this way for as long as I have sold on eBay and there is nothing in the user agreement about this, but it looks like this the sellers might be losing another protection.

It looks like the days of just having a delivery confirmation number showing delivered to freight forwarding address is not going to be satisfactory in their eyes anymore.
J.

Note from the editor: It's hard to believe eBay would hold a seller accountable if tracking shows item was delivered to customer's address - the customer being the freight forwarder (esp. if the seller specified no international shipments!). However, if there is no change in policy, that's some really bad information eBay customer service provided to the reader. Either way, a troubling letter.

Note that eBay doesn't provide a way for sellers to block freight forwarders as far as we know.

Perminate Link for eBay Sellers on the Hook for Global Delivery Probl   eBay Sellers on the Hook for Global Delivery Probl

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 5 02:44:46 2019

Hey Bob Kupbens,  I thought Ebay just said they were going to be helping Sellers with additional protections.  Looks like its just another year of how do you know when ebay is lying, the spokesman's lips are moving.  4 days into the new year and already we are now hearing of another Seller Protection that is being taken away.  So if i do not sell internationally, you are now putting me at risk for International Scams through the freight forwarders.  I guess Ebay must not have made their 4th quarter numbers and have already had to come up with another way to cheat their Sellers out of more money as i am sure Ebay will keep their FVF on these scams and force the Sellers to refund to buyers in countries we never agreed to sell to.

WTG Ebay - it took a whole 3 days after your Webinar to show that nothing has or will be changing.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 5 06:28:13 2019

My vote is that the OP received HORRIBLY WRONG INFORMATION from those THREE Customer Dis-Service folks.  3 as it was 2 Low-Level Clowns then 1 "Supervisor" Clown.

ALL 3 could be from Native-Born USA citizen Customer "Service", but far more likely that all 3 were perfectly intelligent, level-headed FOREIGN customer service folks who were baffled by the concept of  "Freight Forwarder" and just MADE UP this B.S. to cover their own confusion.

Personally, I've been on pins and needles for about a month as I received AND FULFILLED an order whereby the shipping address included a STRING of Letters and about a dozen Numbers then the EXACT street address of Pitney-Bowes/Global Shipping Program Center in Erlanger, KY.

To be CLEAR I am  NO FAN OF GSP Global Shipping Program.  Just the way eBay callously Press-Ganged me INTO that program .... TWICE would be enough to give me a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth, but this aversion is further amp'ed up as GSP has a reputation for OVERCHARGING honest, hard-working FOREIGN buyers by charging FULL VAT and/or Import Duty on purchases where the value in USD is BENEATH the price whereby one or BOTH of those "import taxes" should actually be levied.

The VAST majority of my own sales have a PURCHASE price below $10 usd and at least 10 times I've had Foreign Buyers buy from me where the COMMODITY cost was not just below $10, but actually BELOW $3.   Crazy enough that those foreign buyers elected to pay $16-ish for me to MAIL them a $3 DVD in an International First Class Package, but they would have had to be INSANE to have paid more like $30-$35 same exact item using for GSP shipping/handling/re-packaging/ local VAT/IMPORT taxed.

by: buffalochick This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 5 10:10:11 2019

I am also guessing that the CSR's lied to this OP. Ebay's own policies still state that forwarded items are not covered. The OP needs to call back and appeal this case, copy their own policy to ebay. Every single time you call ebay, you need to record the call and have them send you an email confirming their replies and "answers".

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sat Jan 5 10:28:49 2019

I don't think eBay has been able to keep up with updating their policies.

In the past they were supposed to contact sellers by internal or external email when the UA was changed. Now they change it on a whim and nobody knows.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 5 11:25:06 2019

Been selling on ebay for 20 years. Have transacted well north of 500 international shipments, and have never had one lost.
I've never seen a rationale for using GSP for items under $200. Run a discounted label thru ebay (up to $10 savings for 2 lbs to Canada), hand it to the mailman who scans it....then back to sleep.
Maybe some sellers are still under the impression that intl shipments must still be brought to the post office.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jan 5 11:42:00 2019

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

And only believe 1/2 of what you see with your own eyes. . .

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 5 12:21:55 2019

The letter writer has not given us enough information. Did the seller ship to an outside independent forwarding service, or was this shipped via eBay's Global Shipping Program?  I can see eBay not wanting to protect items shipped to independent forwarders - those services are competing with eBay's GSP.  I'll reserve anger and judgement until I have more facts.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 5 12:29:00 2019

That seller also needs to screen shot the current policy (buyer protection not offered for forwarded packages) and call eBay again and quote it to the CSR.
olicy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=4210

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sat Jan 5 13:56:42 2019

Even in a Buyer Protection case on eBay, isn't a seller's payment, received through PayPal (presumably), covered under the PayPal Seller Protection Policy?  You have to ship to the confirmed address, or Seller Protection Eligible address to be covered, but it will tell you in the payment.  So while eBay might reimburse the buyer, PayPal will protect your payment if you complied.  At least that's the way it used to work.  But if you sent something to a non-confirmed address or one specifically not eligible for Seller Protection, you were on your own as opposed to being covered.

Has anyone had a chargeback with Ebay Managed Payments, or any experience with SNAD, INR or similar claims through Managed Payments?  I'm curious as to how much the seller's interests are considered in the process.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Sat Jan 5 18:15:30 2019

Fake news from the Philippines.....again.

ebay has the buyer's actual address in their own database.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Sun Jan 6 00:48:50 2019

J, you got a bum scoop from eBay CS.

As to whether they were ''lying'', much more likely the reps either didn't understand what transpired due to language barrier or they were simply misinformed (as is often the case with eBay's service and support teams).

When eBay execs and department heads can't keep up with eBay's erratic and mercurial policy changes, how can front line support reps be expected to?

Without knowing how long ago this letter was sent and how big a loss we are talking, I would not roll over on this one. Call back, ask for a US-based rep, and get have the section of the policy val linked at the ready: ''Items shipped to another address after original delivery'' (not covered). Have info on the package forwarding company also at the ready.

Better yet, I recommend pinging eBay on Twitter at @AskeBay in order to ensure:
1) A record exists on a mainstream social media platform that eBay cannot delete or sanitize (like the eBay community forums and Facebook pages) AND,
2) The issue can be further forwarded and socialized publicly with media, market analysts, and others without eBay's interference.
3) The askeBay social support team is US-based and through understaffed and usually running a few days behind, I believe overall provides better customer service than offshore support (and newbie eBay@home reps).

by: thriftyattireandstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 7 00:42:57 2019

I've had this conversation before and actually got into a case with an IAND. I have no idea what foreign country they ended up in but I was told by eBay that the return shipping from Florida would be covered from that address and that a full refund would have to be issued. I had already explained to the buyer that they would have to cover their shipping to the forwarder. "No problem, they will work with me" Negative feedback left next day, then a message 4 days later that they gave the shoes that were supposively in poor condition to a friend who LOVED them. All one big scam IMHO.  I wish I had a list of these forwarders and that there was a way to exclude these addresses.  I actually specifically asked whether I could state in my listings that I would not deal with forwarders and was told NO. That I was required to ship to any US address and that making a statement like that would be violation of TOS.

It's evident like others have said that the CS did not understand the forwarding process. The problem is once it gets there they can't prove its gone anywhere else. Even through PayPal they are using these forwarder addresses as their own.  All in all though as i said the protection responsibility only applies to you->forwarder and forwarder back to you. Not whatever they actually paid.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 7 01:21:18 2019

I've shipped 100s of items to freight forwarders with no problems. For me it's a non-issue.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 7 02:26:42 2019

Personally, I will no longer deal with buyers who use freight forwarding. I gave up on International sales long ago because of the rampant fraud.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 7 05:59:48 2019

First, I never ship overseas, only to Canada and PR.  If the item shipped is that valuable and profitable, seller will have to find an alternative to Ebay to sell.  Is seller a drop shipper?  Seller can start his own website and bypass Ebay shipping. Period.  Surely, there's an alternative to this shipping method.

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 7 16:07:45 2019

when using Global shipping , you do NOT receive the buyers address or country! Thus, your ONLY responsible for the delivery to ebays global shipping address.