Thu July 12 2018 12:39:03

Seller Questions eBay Commitment to Stores Feature

By: Reader

The July update has ushered in many unannounced changes to eBay's stores. Banner headers and seller defined categories have disappeared from most stores except for a chosen few.

The store search box is gone, making it impossible to navigate inside a store. If you reorder item from a known seller they are no doubt losing business. The little colored store door under the seller's name is being phased out and replaced with a bland "Visit Store" link.

It would have been nice of eBay to warn its sellers that these drastic changes were being made while they had the chance to end their subscriptions penalty free in May. Instead they are slowly and discourteously making dramatic changes which are creating havoc with seller business models.

Even though eBay is the big dog of ecommerce and so many people depend on them for their survival, that is no excuse for the condescending way in which sellers are being treated. I am convinced eBay seller complaint boards are dominated by paid trolls who demoralise sellers and gently remind them that eBay does not need them and they won't be missed if they go.
Regards,
C.

Perminate Link for Seller Questions eBay Commitment to Stores Feature   Seller Questions eBay Commitment to Stores Feature

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 12:44:06 2018

Ebay is not the big dog..ots not even the little dog anymore.

They are just another wish dot com now

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 13:00:38 2018

Ebay could not let sellers know about any changes because they needed the revenue from the stores to continue while their sales flounder.  Ebay stated that things were going to get tougher while this transition took place and they made sure they were taken care of, once again at the expense of their so called partners.

Ebay is determined that Seller identity is going to disappear and that all that will remain is the Ebay name, but they are going to find that the reason they have always done so well is that they do have so many GOOD sellers that they buyers keep coming back for.  When the buyers cannot buy from the same sellers easily, they will leave Ebay and find them outside of Ebay which has always been Ebays nightmare.

But once again Ebay is its own worst enemy but their egos just cannot prevent them shooting themselves in the foot over and over and over.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 13:18:48 2018

"Even though eBay is the big dog of ecommerce"

thanks for that, I needed a good laugh!!

by: indomama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 13:53:59 2018

My buyers are finding my website and ecrater store. I have raised my ebay price by 15% in hopes that buyers will look else where. I do dominate my niche, so 9 times out of ten new customers  do find me, and old one will go to my website.
I am so over eBay, never thought I would see this day. But sales dropping because of multiple glitches and changes at eBay since May by a whooping 60% has me convinced.

Thankfully along with that drop, my website sales are increasing as well as ecrater, which basically runs on autopilot . So my eBay sales are dropping like a stone, but website increases are making up for it. A win for me. Thank you eBay for giving me and my unique merchandise the boot! You are losing over $2000 a month in fees from me.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 14:55:28 2018

Sellers you have to understand. THE ONLY COMMITMENT EBAY MAKES IS TO ITS BOTTOM LINE. They don't care what you think or what you do, its all about the bottom line.

You leaves and go somewhere else, always keep in mind there are others to take your place.

People can say all they want about the other sites but the one thing ebay does have going for it is the traffic. You as a seller have to figure out how to get them to your store.

Ebay is not your partner in anything. They will stab you in the back faster than a speeding bullet if they thought that they could profit from it.

by: Carol Is Here This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 15:08:21 2018

The seller discussion board on Ebay IS populated by some employees that operate as trolls.

Some however are just strange people who don't sell, but like to harass people.

Sellers who post about issues or complaints are usually harassed with a gang of several who team up and chase them off the board, often with threats toward their seller accounts.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 15:28:33 2018

I have discovered that the eBay Search Bar at the top of my eBay store home page will search just MY store, rather than all of eBay.

You guys might check that out and see if you have that capacity too.

And if you want to upgrade your links to various categories or your store home page, that you have on your listings, you don't need the html builder to do that.

You can  just replace the URL portion of your old link with the new URL shown when you click on each category. I've done that with my listings and the links work and go right to the category of my choosing in my eBay store.

Of course, that's only helpful if the buyer is using a desk top computer and actually looks at the item description. But I'm doing everything I can to get customers to my products. You might try it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 12 17:05:24 2018

Like what is true here is true for many of the Ebay threads.  If a person doesn't say that Ebay is evil or if a person can offer a solution and/or explanation for the problem at hand, they are called a "troll" or "Ebay employee".  Just because someone may say this about another poster does not make it true.  It simply is something some feel the need to throw out there from time to time when a poster isn't following what they feel they should be.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 12 17:11:32 2018

I too don't like all these unannounced changes.  They are disruptive and cause sellers additional work that isn't necessary.  But even though Kupbens says they are going to stop doing this, the unannounced changes continue.  His statement was proved wrong within minutes of his actual statement.

This may help some of you.  While the store search box is no longer where we are use to seeing it, it still exists.  It is now at the top of the page instead of in the side margin where the store categories appear.

While it is a change, I don't see a big deal in changing the store door icon with the words "visit store".  My only annoyance it is yet another unannounced change.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Jul 12 18:43:27 2018

The issue on the boards is not what is said many times, it's how it's said. Sure I am positive some of them are eBay employees. Others are just narcissists who get their jollies off insulting and berating sellers, especially the new ones that come to the board, or others who are successful. You can be pretty sure they are not.

The also do attack accounts.Gang up with a few of their buddies, make multiple purchases then return them, making sure everything is done as slow as eBay will allow. Nice way to lock up funds for an extended period of time. People really have to learn not to take their money out before the end of the return period. A very bad move.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 12 18:59:24 2018

@canbrit

I know that you have previously shared your horror story with us regarding your experiences on the Ebay threads.  And I'm sorry you had to go through all that.  Certainly no fun, very disruptive and harmful.  I don't understand people that behave that badly at all.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 12:06:01 2018

If a person doesn't say that Ebay is evil ......

Well they are - its not opinion - its fact. No idea who you mean - though if you mean ME - Im ok with that - since Ive threatened to sue them via lawyers letters for thier criminal behaviors a few times ....

or if a person can offer a solution and/or explanation for the problem at hand

Theres no solution for eBays bad behavior. As a 20 year sellers with 7000+ positive feedbacks at %100 - my experience(s) with the San Jose mafia, speaks for itself. There is no solution to eBay basically holding me at gunpoint (hence the mafia comparison) and forcing me to do it their way (arent they only a venue? or did they lie to the courts - that TOO is a crime)(damn eBay criminals) or hide my listings.

Why after 20 years am *I* the criminal? If you return something different then what I sent you OR you installed in backassward - then YOU are at fault not me and standing up and protecting liar buyer criminals (since thats theft and fraud) is just plain wrong.

they are called a "troll" or "Ebay employee".

they may be either, neither or both, but certainly a liar or a fool. Sometimes the emperor just doesnt have any new clothes.

As for eBays own boards (I was refering to comments here), eBay employees sanitize the boards to impress someone (dont know who), they ban people at the drop of a hat no matter what they say, and they of course to protect the Cupcake and all the other miscreant eBay employees (the blues that come in and make up rules to hurt sellers).

MY shoulders are broad enough to take that barb :) (after eBay does suck so ....)(and thats the fact, jack)

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 13 12:40:06 2018

@pace
My comment was not directed at your specifically, but your post above does prove the point.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 12:55:44 2018

Marie - do you have a "solution" to stop eBays theft-tastic ways ? Pray tell - please tell us!

Do u know/are you offering "testimony" on how/why eBay does what it does?

Does your "keen onsight at providing clarity on eBay rules and regulations" include a detailed explanation on why people who are effected by eBays criminal behaviors - when they speak about them - are labeled "trolls"?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 13 13:00:12 2018

I didn't and haven't called anyone a name other than their posting handle.  So your talking to the wrong person on that one.

I also did not say or suggest that I had any answers to your question regarding "...stop eBays theft-tastic ways", nor did I even bring it up.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Jul 13 14:16:33 2018

I'd have to get some time to run the numbers but my sales have hovered around 50/50 between eBay and everywhere else for years.  "Everywhere else" is predominantly live toy shows now (having dropped Scamazon, eCrater, Bonanza, iOffer, and WebStore), which take up barely a week over the course of a year.  What that tells me is that I can reduce my effort 98% and only take a ~50% hit to revenue.

I had a store for a little over a year (through two Christmas seasons) and it just never delivered.  It's very difficult to make any money selling new toys on eBay due to three factors:  manufacturer/distributor games, customer cheapness, and eBay's high commission rate.  In order for me to make as much as eBay on a sale, I basically have to sit on stuff for a few years.  Implicitly, that says my part in acquiring inventory, making listings, answering questions, and packing boxes is...worthless.  Even though there is _no_ share for eBay to take if I remove my "worthless" contribution from the process.

Talk about a recipe for resentment...combined with the dictates form on high, it makes you feel like you work for eBay as an employee rather than a independent business.

And, yet, if sellers of new items leave, eBay turns into exactly the sort of used junk flea market that eBay says it doesn't want to be.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 14:33:28 2018

RK

%101 spot on.

But eBay doesnt rely on us smaller sellers aka the noise. They have people like VM Innovations and Bida doo doo. THOSE guys are what keeps eBay afloat - and its to them directly that eBay tailors its policies.

Look at VM for example - they have 300-400 negatives per month. Sure in 2500 sales per month you will have some returns - but in their case its %80 or so INR cases NOT SNAD. Why they would be a posterboy for eBay is unclear - unless you only look at listing amounts and revenue. They are exactly who SHOULDNT be in the spot light - "dude, how hard is it to just ship the goods"????

eBay stores features are only worth it (these days) if "the perks" work for you aka fee listings, free supplies and what ever other stuff eBay throws you way.

eBay stores USED to be the place where you could "have your own spot on the internet to sell your goods", but (even as toolguy said himself) eBay is working VERY HARD to make "your brand, theirs".

OK the ebay brand is S_ it, but then again - its Wenig & The Cupcake again - but you cant TOTALLY fault them as its their gravy train they are protecting.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Jul 13 15:21:29 2018

@Marie

Thank you. I appreciate that you understand how devastating those types of attacks can be. But, it happens there and the why is clear. It is the environment that promotes it.

But I have to say, in two previous comments, you've used the term "Like here" meaning "Like the eCommerce board"  We are not discussing the eCommerce board. We are discussing eBay. I don't think it's correct to intimate that these boards are anything like eBay"s.

"Like what is true here is true for many of the Ebay threads"
"I certainly agree that there are posters on the Ebay threads that are often insulting and berate other members, just as there are here. "

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 13 15:56:14 2018

@canbrit

My opinion is that it happens for multiple reasons, so it may depend on the poster in which your are chatting with.  Some come to the threads to help, others to vent, others to share a story and some to ask a question.  Then there are those that post to stir things up, be confrontations, pass harmful gossip, etc.  For some it is a source of entertainment.

There are lots of threads on Ebay that do not get confrontational, but I agree, there are some that are very problematic.

I respect that you don't feel it happens here, I just happen to disagree.  No big deal.  We simply don't agree.  I don't have any issue with that.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Jul 13 16:09:01 2018

@Marie

I wasn't saying whether it does or doesn't happen on here. I was saying the thread is about eBay, not eCommerce.