Sat June 30 2018 08:36:26

eBay Sellers Challenged by Numerous Technical Issues

By: Readers

I am sure you are getting so many questions about eBay issues...have you heard anything about all the issues?

1. Markdown Manager supposed to be new items can't put on sale for 14 days...now it's all items...100's of responses in forums about it...one eBay rep said not new items its 1 day but that is NOT working...my sales have plummeted.....average 10-15 a day....my sale ended yesterday and it wouldn't let me put up another and I had 3 sales...and woke up today to ZERO

2. Not receiving eBay Sold notifications...stopped about a week ago...started getting them again I believe on the 26th for a few hours but stopped and not getting any since

3. Page views on items showing 0

4. Pictures going missing from active items...I have had to fix around 30 so far...still going through them.

For a company that is publicly saying that they want to help the small seller now they are not doing a very good job of it
Scott

***

Seriously. Can eBay do NOTHING Right? For at least the past two days attempts to reach ALREADY PAID buyers with updates on their order and encouragements for them to BUY MORE the FOOL eBay "Contact Buyer" button SEEMS to work, but ... it's a BIG BUT ... the Destination is to MY OWN EMAIL ADDRESS.  I cannot Get it to Shift to the Buyer's eBay Name.

How on Earth do these 26,000 eBay employees find ways to make the FEW things that have worked smoothly for YEARS magically go off the rails with such (capricious) regularity.  PS: I was on my iPhone 8 when this happened.
Greg

Note from the Editor: Also see Ecommerce EKG to read about and report issues for all ecommerce websites.

eBay Sellers Challenged by Numerous Technical Issu   eBay Sellers Challenged by Numerous Technical Issu

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 1 00:16:15 2018

Unfortunately, Ebay management consists of lawyers who could never accomplish anything in life so they wound up at Ebay.  There they write rules that people agree to but many of them are completely illegal and Ebay knows it.  They also know that they have enough money to fight off almost anybody that fights them.

But one of these days they are going to get caught with their hand in the cookie jar selling off the IP from a listing that somebody put up for $.35 and the owner of that IP is going to go after them like there is no tomorrow  and they will not let up with some little negotiated settlement, they will go after blood and all the potential lost sales in the future that Ebay may have cost them due to negligently and illegally selling their IP or other copyrighted or trademarked item.  I would love nothing better than to see them accidentally step on Carl Icahns toes with that UA and see how that plays out since he knows a lot of the inner workings:)

A person can dream you know !!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jul 1 01:43:41 2018

@jack

I know you have been off Ebay for awhile, but most sellers that have been selling for years do not have an excuse for not knowing this.  When Ebay added it to the UA, they made EVERY seller re-approve their acceptance of the UA.  For those that weren't willing, they weren't allowed to sell on Ebay anymore.

It had much chatter on the subject here on this site.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else does and I think it is wrong.  But that doesn't mean anything other than it is my personal opinion.

by: papertrail This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 1 01:54:23 2018

I have been selling on eBay only for 18 years now. Two years ago I started on Etsy and have been slowly moving eBay items over to my Etsy shop and putting all of my new listings onto Etsy only. My Etsy sales are now on a par with my eBay sales and I expect Etsy to now start taking over in the next 6 months.
There appear to be two reasons for eBay's self inflicted problems in my mind - the first is that nobody at eBay actually understands how the eBay platform has been used by both sellers and buyers. They have failed to understand the eBay internal economy - where small sellers use the money they earn from selling items on eBay to then buy items on eBay. None of the big sellers on eBay buy from eBay.
The top execs at eBay, including Wenig, simply don't care - their only aim is to keep the eBay share price up and to do so, they need to keep giving shareholders earnings, hence the new 4% grab. If they can hold the eBay share price to current levels or higher, then when they move on, including Wenig, they cash in their own parcels of shares they receive as part of their employment terms and also ensure that there is money to be paid for their own golden parachutes.
Criminal, I know, but it is what happens in our modern world unfortunately.

IMO, the now defunct seller defect system is what did the most damage to eBay and they have never recovered from that disastrous mistake and implementation. The 4% is a short term fix to try and put money into shareholders pockets and keep the share price up for Wenig to leave with his own golden parachute intact. The 4% will have exactly the same effect on eBay as the now defunct seller defect system did.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 1 02:19:14 2018

Let’s be honest....both sites (EBay and Amazon) are having major issues right now. Trust me, go on the Amazon forums and read all the people saying it’s so bad there that they are moving more inventory to EBay. Go to EBay forums and you hear the opposites. Both sites are basically trying to out do one another right now (common theme seems to be who can one up the other when it comes to returns). This is costing sellers tons of money per month because now we have to foot the bill for returns, extra fees, etc.

Glitches are running rampant on both sites, too, in the last month. EBay at least will acknowledge them half the time...Amazon just keeps all their stuff secret and you have to guess what is going on or try to piece together policy.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 1 06:47:13 2018

Yikes Marie, I thought I was on the eBay Community forum for a second. Scared the you know what out of me. User Agreement. Of course I've read that drivel and it's updates. Ebay's version of the ten commandments. It's a joke, written by jokers. They don't even know what buyer experience is but that term sure is dotted through it. It's a "punishment" just to have to read the darn thing.

Anyway, no offence, but whether I've read it or not, is none of your concern.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jul 1 07:44:17 2018

Iheartjacksparrow writes "It is beyond ludicrous that anyone would assume that they would have to pay to not be seen. "

That User Agreement is no more than, as CanBrit says, drivel.  Only written to protect eBay from lawsuits.  Get the right cadre of attorneys and that UA will be proven to be worthless.  When you pay for a service you expect to receive a service.  I'm surprised that they've gotten away with it as long as they have.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 1 09:53:39 2018

eBay considers its TOS/UA to be a shrinkwrap license and its written in a crafty way and its ON PURPOSE.

eBay rarely mentions SALES/MAKING SALES/PLATFORM FOR SALES - and the reason is - because the rules for "sales" are totally different then "using eBays software platform" - which is what eBay says in its TOS/UA.

Thats also why eBay calls itself a "tech company" and NOT an ecommerce company. eBay rewrote the TOS (read Maries reply when eBay made everyone "reup" on its acceptance) to reword it to be a shrinkwrap license - which are MUCH harder to get out of then a simple UA.

If you read eBays SEC 10k form it too mentions eBays "software" - and its there on purpose.

Those people in San Jose arent that dumb. They knew that if it was just a standard UA, people would take them to court for fraud or coercion. You cant tell people that you are "just a venue" and then force crap rules down their throats.

So you become "something else", something where you know the rules are almost always going to be in your favor so that you cant get sued aka turn eBay into one giant software license.

eBays board isnt full of lawyers for nothing. They were hired to turn eBay into a cash cow. Just keep on stealing, keep on abusing, keep the gravy train running - cause there isnt much you can do about it. Its either join up - and they will then let you make money WHEN THEY FEEL ITS OK , or .... not. The rest belongs "to them". Its easy to see the arrogance when they speak and when you have an issue.

Sellers are called every name in the book, they are called criminals 24/7 - with the outcomes prejudged by eBay before the issue(s) even start.

The %4 %40 - is just the crime syndicate deciding to take even more of your money - just like the Mafia. Just up the VIG as you please ... and when theres no more to be had ..... burn the business (the seller) down to the ground and start over with the next sucker (seller).

At least the "mafia" has some morals .....

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 1 09:59:36 2018

eBay's latest series of problems and screw-ups go far beyond things mentioned above. In their anxiety to make the site more competitive they've made numerous bad decisions, some of which they've abandoned including the NEW LANDING page. (A fisaco) after some testing. The watch list Green Check mark has been eliminated, the new shipping/postage module is very user unfriendly and doesn't work much of the time. The Item Search has been totally screwed up, sold items on watch lists are now being redicted to other items by default, so checking back is more difficult.

The site's Affiliates are cutting back (including us) on linking, and instead focussing more on Amazon and Alibaba due to lost/late and screwed up payment data. eBay needs to fire a lot of people, and they won't.  After Meg WHitman left, it's been an incremental spiral downward.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jul 1 11:37:04 2018

@Marie - I just looked on eBay to see what they tell new sellers. Their big scam, I mean promotion , is "List It! Ship It! Get paid!" Nowhere do they tell new sellers to read the TOS, nor do they warn them that there is a strong possibility that since their items won't be seen, they will never ship anything.

I am aware that we have discussed this absurd policy for some time, but not every seller reads the eBay Forums or this blog to see what other sellers are complaining about. I would imagine a huge portion of the current sellers aren't aware that they are paying listing fees for a promise of nothing. I would imagine if the mainstream and/or financial media were aware of this, eBay would find themselves the target of unwanted bad publicity, if not lawsuits.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 1 11:40:42 2018

@pace306.
Your last line. Just to say that speaks a thousand words on what eBay has become. Took me by surprise but it's a very good point.
eBay today is a narcissistic cult. There is almost a clueless madness. megamania going on, all the way down from the top. I imagine the recent cull, probably more than not were people who should have been kept and the other 99% fired. Wishful thinking.
You hear it on the boards all the time. The blue's, the ebay plants, all touting eBay and it's strengths. They used to turn every comment around. These days, they haven't been quite able to be so positive under the circumstances. Now instead of saying eBay is doing everything right, and you the seller are wrong, the they  have to say things like  "I don't like it anymore than anyone else does and I think it is wrong", or "they are having an awful lot of glitches these days".

Next, you watch. They'll all have shaved their heads and will be carrying around a laminated UA chanting FVF.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 1 11:49:34 2018

There is one other thought I had however it would be extremely hard to mobilize.

What if........
Determine which platform is left that is similar to eBay's original structure, but lower in pricing of course, and not quite so maniacal. Now, maybe they don't have the views of eBay, but when you're not selling, it really doesn't matter where you are.  So anyway that would be the first step.

Contact that platform with the idea to create a mass migration of small sellers from eBay to their platform. They could  help with advertising. I'd love to see a two page spread in a national paper. Maybe the platform could offer some special incentive(s) to those eBay sellers who migrate.

eCrater does have a wonderful capacity to load the platform with eBay items with very little effort, but I really don't know anything about it.

Anyway, what ever platform seems the best.

This is just a starting thought. Many thousands of sellers are really ready at this point for relief.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jul 1 12:15:21 2018

@CanBrit - eCrater is the most like eBay was in the beginning, minus the auction aspect. eCrater truly is "just a venue." A seller opens a store, and has zero interference from the site.

I first heard about eCrater with the initial large exodus of small sellers in February 2008 when the first wave of anti-small seller policies were introduced on eBay.

Since eCrater doesn't charge sellers outrageous fees, they probably don't have the funds to do large-scale advertising. I often wish someone with money would give eCrater a few million to advertise their site. I already have a commercial designed:

An animated stick figure (have to keep costs down) is sitting on a dock holding a fishing rod. At the end of the rod is a buoy with the word "eBay" on it. A voice over says, "Tired of listing on the bay with minimal sales?" Then the next scene is the same stick figure in a rocket flying to, and landing on, the moon. He steps out of the rocket, and masses of stick figures run over waving money at him. Voice over: "Then move to eCrater and join our successful sellers." And we finish with their web site URL.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 1 12:36:12 2018

Nice little advertising schtick stick there Jack....lol. Well done. Wouldn't it just be nice to be able to assist all those small stores that built eBay with an choice.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 1 12:50:37 2018

good thing fleecebay is the "best tech" company in the universe.

if they were not the best, there would be a lot more glitches.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jul 1 12:56:44 2018

@canbrit

You are absolutely right.  The UA is a mess and full of all kinds of junk.  And you are further correct in saying it is none of my concern if you have read it or not.  I don't disagree with any of that.

My earlier comments about the UA was in response to your comments about how Ebay hides listings.  To be more accurate, this is what inspired my earlier posting, you stated: "I decided to do another search for my items, picked a dozen and then searched for the complete title. None showed up.  That truly is the definition of throttling and it certainly is illegal. Isn't it a shame, that they can do whatever they want outside of the law because we are not richer or stronger than they are."

Your response to my posting was: "Don't have time. I'm too busy moving my stuff."

While the UA may be "drivel", it is hard to argue with that, but we still have to abide by it if we are to sell on Ebay.  So drivel or not, it is important to understand what it says.

by: E4Fam This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 1 12:58:09 2018

@canbrit you wrote you are moving some listings to Etsy  Have you by chance checked out the forums on Etsy? Etsy is having issues. I don't want to discourage you. I just want you to be aware. I've been a seller there for7 yrs and eBay  for 10 yes. Sales have plummeted for MANY seasoned Etsy sellers who had successful shops for years. Ever since Silverman came on board there have been problems. Search algorithms have been a huge issue and he's turning Etsy into feeBay now by increasing transaction fees to 5% fees incuding on shipping! Many sellers are reporting their stats showing literally a 75% to 100+ % drop in views and visits to their shops. Mine included. Its like someone literally flipped a  switch & turned off a lot of shops. I'm talking about good sellers, with 100% glowing  positive feedback, good  product and they're dead in the water at etsy. Theres also banter about Etsy "rotating" shops. Also, you have to buy Etsy promo ads and google shopping ads to be found if you don't have a strong social media presence and direct customer traffic following. Silverman needs to realize Etsy is a "handmade" market and we are not commercial junk sellers. But he's turning etsy into that. He thinks he's going to turn Etsy into Amazon. A lot of sellers are leaving or threatening to. I closed one of my two shops and have limited listings in the existing shop. I actually took some of my business to eBay because of the issues at Etsy. I recommend searching etsy forums "slow sales", no news, no traffic", "disgusted with Etsy", no sales", etc... I wish you luck.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jul 1 13:04:26 2018

@jack

I could not agree with you more.  That page in the Ebay policies that is suppose to help a new seller is ridiculous.  I've tried many time to get them to change it as they have step 2 and 3 flipped.  There have been new sellers on the forums saying they did as Ebay said to do, but they never got paid.

Certainly no surprise to the experienced seller, but it sure is to the new seller and that fault lands squarely in Ebay's lap because of how that stupid page is written.

There are better pages for new sellers or a seller trying to brush up on the rules.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 1 13:22:35 2018

@marie
I have my own set of standards and they are much, much higher than eBay's. I don't break rules, but I don't follow stupid ones either, I follow my own and there is not a single thing in my rules that could be misinterpreted as wrong or negative to eBay.

They talk about the buyer experience. Well if they really believed that, they'd show excellent items at excellent prices to buyers instead of pushing nickel crap down their throats.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 1 13:36:41 2018

@E4Fam
I am well aware of the issues at Etsy, but in comparison to what I've gone through with eBay these past two years, this will be a walk in the park. I have my own customers who have followed me from eBay to Ruby Lane, To Etsy and back to eBay. Now they are going on another journey with me. I am also setting up on Shopify, the new platform out of Canada. They have just announced they have over 1 million users and have sold 64 billion dollars. They are up and coming for sure.

Eventually I will have my own site and I'll let someone else manage it. I'll just stick with what I do best. Hunting.

If I can show an example: I purchased an 18K 1920's hand ring. Gorgeous piece with a diamond on the ring finger and the hand is holding (not a garnet that the seller thought it was) but could very well be a padparadscha. Even it's not that stone, it is a mighty nice piece.
I purchased it for $104, free shipping 30 day returns. Thanks eBay!

I literally spend up to 80 hours a week finding these deals. They will sell, whether on a platform, Craigslist, a notice in a grocery store, will they will sell.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 1 14:26:05 2018

@E4FAM

Of course Etsy is becoming just like Ebay, that is why they hired an Ex Ebay executive to take over as the CEO.  They wanted to be more like Ebay while completely ignoring all the articles and reviews that raved about what a great up and coming site they were by avoiding all of the pitfalls that Ebay kept falling into.  Now they are getting what they wanted, to be just like Ebay.

Unfortunately they are still showing significant growth compared to Ebay and other sites so while there may be a lot of sellers upset and leaving, there appear to be more buyers visiting the site and buying on it than are leaving, unlike Ebay.  I do not sell on Etsy as what i sell just does not belong there at this point in time as it is not vintage enough nor handmade, otherwise I would give it a shot as Ebay just cannot stop shooting themselves and their customers , the sellers, in the foot.

As for the UA, when the sellers set up a new Selling account or convert the account they have into a selling account, they are forced to check a box stating that they have read the UA.  Of course Ebay expects that nobody will ever bother to do so just as other companies count on that, and someday that might actually be the part that comes back to bite them with items not being shown.  The fact that people are getting lazier and lazier and will not take the time to read all the legalese does seem to be something that is of more and more concern as the companies are taking advantage of it and throwing things in that are unconscionable into these long UA agreements.  I do believe that in the near future the Supreme Court is going to wind up with a case dealing with this and these companies are not going to like the way it resolves itself, even if they win as it will draw a lot more attention to what they are doing and counting on people not reading.  I do believe that at some point there is going to be a adverse reaction to the companies that do this and that everyday people are not going to be held accountable for reading and UNDERSTANDING all the crap that is put into these online agreements.  Unlike a contract that you can take to an attorney to review and possibly change, these terms are very one sided and there is no chance for an attorney to review it unless they stop what they are doing, print it out and then go to an attorney.  I may be wrong but i can just see public opinion changing on these things more and more and then the courts using that as a reason to not enforce it.

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]