Sat June 2 2018 13:55:39

eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging

By: Reader

I was wondering if anyone has mentioned to you that when you are researching sold items on eBay that more often than not when you click on the listing it takes you to an active item and it will say on the upper left side "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."

The sold listing you wanted to see is suppressed. You can find it, but you have to click on "listing" in order to do so; needless clicking once again.

Also, I discovered that on some items it will take you to eBay's product page and not even take you to the sold item.

So this makes me wonder, once an item is affiliated with the product page/ eBay's buy box we will no longer be able to extract and research information for that sold item. Maybe this will be another way for them to generate revenue in the future, once all items are in the catalog?

Another money grab, by taking something away from us and making us pay for utilizing sold information via TeraPeak??

I bet this will be a new feature, oh I mean an experience, in the Fall Seller downdate.
A.

Perminate Link for eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging   eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging

by: connie t This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 12:32:52 2018

There was a glitch last week for sellers that probably went unnotiiced. I relisted some 30 lisitngs that had expired and after relisting I went in to three or four of them to make changes. I had not noticed the fees as these were free listings and when  submitted it showed $0.00 fees. After I did the changes and corrections to these listing and submitted the items changes the system showed fees of $0.60 for the listings or 0.20 per listing for the changes for three listings. I called ebay and the CSR said they were aware of this and that there was not supposed to be charges generated  when a seller changes the listing. And ebay was aware of the glitch and their software engineers were working to correct the problem and fix the glitch. She told me it had been reported by a few other sellers and had been a problem for 2 days. Ebay was working hard to correct it. It was live "this glitch" for 2 more days. I am sure many sellers made changes to listings and never bothered to see the fees that were added and charged as it is something that did not exist previously and so most sellers are not aware and alert enough to look for it. How much revenue did this unannounced and unaware glitch generate system wide for ebay over this time period?

by: leathermermaid8 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 12:46:58 2018

Add me to the list, I had the same experience as the others.  The item shown as "similar" to mine wasn't even close and I couldn't access the closed listing.

In my case, the seller has relisted the items and I was able to buy it a couple of days later.

Oh and the option to "see seller's other items" is gone.  You MUST enter the store to see anything else they have listed.

I  liked that particular option since you see other seller's items on the same page and if you couldn't find anything else you wanted, you could ust click "see all others (sellers) listings" and continue to shop.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Jun 4 12:54:56 2018

@leathermermaid8

I noticed that change yesterday.  You can get around going to the STORE view (if you like the way the list is presented better) by clicking on the seller's username or feedback.  That brings you to the typical generic user profile that we are familiar with.  The link to "view items for sale" is there (for now).

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Mon Jun 4 19:04:26 2018

If you are encountering the extra steps and clicks for viewing the actual original listing page for sold items (and find it annoying), you can keep an extra browser tab open with the following parameters (113004154779 is simply a sample item number):

www.ebay.com/itm/113004154779?nordt=true

When you wish to conduct a search for multiple original completed listings, perform the search, then select the item number from each search result and paste into the item number in the URL (item numbers need to be set to show in search results).

This will vary a bit, but most Windows/Chrome users will be able to quickly double-click the item number from search results, Ctrl-C to copy, then again double-click the item number in the browser URL bar, Ctrl-V to paste, and hit enter to view the original listing.

Make no mistake, this is _not_  an elegant workaround. It is highly suboptimal and introduces unnecessary wasted time and effort.

These additional steps and clicks are intentionally architected by eBay to deliver (or “surface” in SV parlance) additional ad and promoted listings impressions.

The “?nordt=true” URL parameter is what keeps the original listing set to display (at least as of this writing).

by: Ichabod This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 19:46:22 2018

You are exactly correct, @connie t. This is just ebay lying as usual and passing the blame with some oblique reference to the mythological "glitch".  With all of the websites that all of you have dealt with and all of the software that we all deal with, has anyone, anywhere ever encountered glitches on the scale and with the predictability that ebay has, proving once again, as if it were necessary, that ebay is run by lying, cheating, ethically bankrupt, two legged stool samples.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 5 04:34:31 2018

it's been happening for over a week at least - best case scenario is price your stuff where it should be - you know what your cost is - you know PP/eb/shipping is going to be at least 33% - then let it go - if it doesn't sell you know your too high.  If your willing to participate in the race to the bottom keep marking it down till your bankrupt

by: HardWorkingSeller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 5 09:54:33 2018

Good.  Maybe fewer people will be cutting and pasting my content and having - god forbid - actually to create their own.

if you know your category, then you will know what price you can achieve.  At last something that is to the advantage of the serious seller.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Jun 5 18:36:56 2018

Thanks for the tip @Lightning!

by: thriftyone This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 5 20:14:26 2018

@ Hardworkingseller, not everyone sells in one niche...most of mine are one offs and researching sold's is a very valuable commodity for me and many others. I am hardworking and serious, and do not copy other people's descriptions....

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jun 6 18:16:35 2018

OMG!

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!

eBay is losing it

I went to see a friends completed listing and eBay wouldn't show it to me!

He sold a group of rivet shaver bits i wanted to look at, eBay wanted me to see a riv-nut puller from another seller!

THE END IS NEAR

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jun 6 19:25:52 2018

eBay's next move?

Removing the sellers ID completely from any and all transactions. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Wed Jun 6 23:37:04 2018

Now it is happening to me, too! This is frustrating!

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Jun 6 23:44:18 2018

eBay is really falling apart. I assume that they are removing things to save on server space.
The whole site is completely bloated and what they should be doing is setting it up so that things are easy to find and get rid of the dead wood they have laying around in the old inscription but that means spending money to get good code writers and buying more server space.
The big boys don't want to do that because they are running short of free cash which they need to buy back shares of stock to keep the price up so they can then dump their shares that they got as bonuses and make a killing.

eBay = Dead Man Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Wed Jun 6 23:51:18 2018

Per @Lightning's suggestion, click on "listing" in the blue bar and it will link you to the sold listing. You can still link to the sold listing...it's just more work.

Note to eBay: the suggesting new listing is *nothing* like the sold listing.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Thu Jun 7 09:59:25 2018

I noticed someone complained to @askeBay Twitter support about this yesterday (afternoon I think if you want to scroll for it).

They responded that it was intended change geared towards providing buyers alternatives once an item sells out but they "understood the value" of having the (sold) listings available and were "working on a solution." Maybe they said "$olution", I can't recall.

by: markfromholland This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 9 07:57:03 2018

With this change eBay has found a brand new way to manipulate their users. I find it disgusting.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue Jun 12 23:56:20 2018

Yesterday I wanted to look at an auction I did not win and sure enough it gave me some other page that was not even relative to the auction.
I did not want to see another item I wanted to see that one and eBay's AI is really screwed up.
And they wonder why buyers are leaving in droves.

eBay = Dead Man Walking