Sat June 2 2018 13:55:39

eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging

By: Reader

I was wondering if anyone has mentioned to you that when you are researching sold items on eBay that more often than not when you click on the listing it takes you to an active item and it will say on the upper left side "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."

The sold listing you wanted to see is suppressed. You can find it, but you have to click on "listing" in order to do so; needless clicking once again.

Also, I discovered that on some items it will take you to eBay's product page and not even take you to the sold item.

So this makes me wonder, once an item is affiliated with the product page/ eBay's buy box we will no longer be able to extract and research information for that sold item. Maybe this will be another way for them to generate revenue in the future, once all items are in the catalog?

Another money grab, by taking something away from us and making us pay for utilizing sold information via TeraPeak??

I bet this will be a new feature, oh I mean an experience, in the Fall Seller downdate.
A.

Perminate Link for eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging   eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging

by: Vigilant Eye On eBay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 01:20:20 2018

Not confined to new product listings that may or may not be in eBay's catalog, the result of some previously sold, used item searches is a suggested alternative item, while the results from otter searches within the same category provided the desired previous listing information.

None of eBay's suggested items were remotely similar to the one that was originally researched.

And eBay wants to depend on AI to offer appropriate suggestions to buyers?

They might have much better luck using an Ouija board to provide suggestions to buyers.

Wonder how this newfangled idea is going to work when buyers need the original item description information for a purchase that they previously made?

by: jazzbaby73 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 01:38:53 2018

After 20 years on ebay...
I don't trust a thing they do.
It's all about profit for ebay, certainly not for us.
We purchase the merchandise, and do the hard work
And ebay gets a bigger profit.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Jun 4 01:40:27 2018

When I click on SOME sold listings, I get the blue bar that says ''The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.''  The word ''listing'' is a link in a lighter blue that takes you to the listing you originally were looking for.  At least for me, it is.  I'm wondering if this function is for items that recently ended, and will disappear after a certain amount of time, to become easily found as before.  I only tried it on recent stuff.

Just another stupid ebay thing, since I guarantee you that the suggested item will NEVER be the same as the one that was closed.  Maybe not even in the same category.

Gave Watchcount a try just now, use it a lot these days.  Nope, same problem.  I even tried viewing the listings from ebay Canada, same thing.  A sign of things to come for sure.  Lucky for me I am on a 1 year plan, and then out.  Just in time, I think.

by: Ichabod This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 02:14:14 2018

If ebay was a racehorse they would have shot it buried in the infield by now. They personify the old adage that "the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 02:16:13 2018

It’s their glitches and ineptitude that changes that hide seller data on sold items that create problems forcsellers. Data about listings disappearing is not cry babies. It was not announced in the seller update so it’s a screw up.  I have management software but ifvzi am on eBay As a seller, I should be able to see data from sold listings and photos.
Do you work for eBay? Insulting sellers and putting them down is a prerequisite for working for eBay when we notice a glitch. .

by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 02:17:01 2018

I ran into this today as well and found (early afternoon Pacific time) most closed listings did come up but some did not.  What struck me as odd was that I checked the same listing several times and was taken to the same active listing each time and then suddenly to the sold listing.

I use sold listings not only to check prices for identical items (and you often can't tell if it's identical just from the title), but also to see the category, the size, and other features.

I can't imagine why ebay would remove access as it should increase sales to have better quality listings.  I sell vintage, not commodity items.

by: margo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 02:30:37 2018

I was also having trouble with search and I called ebay and she told me I was the only one who had called to complain. of course I didn't believe her.

by: its_me This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 03:26:35 2018

not only can you NOT view a previous sale, which I discovered when I sold something, and could not view MY sale. It took me to a current item, at a lower price than my item, that was current. What an absolutely stupid new ''feature''. What's the point of this ?

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 06:56:39 2018

I would renew a subscription to Terapeak when they done away with seller id's.

However thankfully Zik Analytics came along and have taken a good bit of trade.  You can seller id's there recent sales,  sale thru rate,  their location and a lot of other things.

Such a dumb move not showing completed listings

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 07:00:22 2018

In my post about Terapeak i meant to say I would NOT renew

by: JWsax This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 07:31:31 2018

Leave it to ebay to make decisions that help absolutely nobody. Anyone who doubts their ineptitude and wants to put a positive spin on this is welcome to try...

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Jun 4 08:48:27 2018

@EyeFlipDaily
10 cents have been deposited to your account.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Jun 4 08:57:22 2018

I've been seeing that listing not available as well.  Most of these stupid changes don't really phase me.  There was a time I would've used them to determine a price but not anymore.  So nothing of value was lost.

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 09:31:01 2018

I am a buyer. I buy a bunch of items at one time that last me a year or more. I was desperate to find my supplier, no dice, not in her name search, not in her store name search, not in any way. Luckily, I had her email. She was still selling on ebay, but unaccessible in a search. Now this?! Yes, this will very much hurt sellers. I'm ready to unplug between ads in general and the push at our expense to make more money.

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 09:32:30 2018

@ichabod, ''If ebay was a racehorse they would have shot it buried in the infield by now. They personify the old adage that ''the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.''

😅😂🤣

by: treasureattic This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 09:56:08 2018

@EyeFlipDaily

If you think there are too many "crybabies" here, maybe you should close your browser and get back to work polishing Wenig's shoes.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 10:22:45 2018

eBay has shown incorrect 'sold' prices for years now.
First: UNPAID items continue to sell as 'sold'.
Second: FIXED PRICE:
Consider these scenarios:
A)
Item is $20.00 FP = sells/shows as $20.00
B)
Item is $20.00 FP w/ 'markdown' sale of 10% =
sells/shows as $18.00
C)
Item is $20.00 FP w/ 'best offer' =
sells/shows as "best offer accepted" w/ strike-thru *
D)
Item is $20.00 w/ 'markdown' of 10% PLUS, has a 'best offer' option =
sells/shows as $18.00
(when, in fact, seller ACCEPTED $15.00) !
* I -lost- a Consignor/Supplier...
as they were not AWARE of D)...
falsely believing the 'sale' was $18.00
and, that I cheated them.
Now, I DID make/send SCREEN SHOTS of the actual PAID invoice... but, the TRUST between me and my less saavy private person supplier, was now BROKEN.
? Question ?
WHICH figure does eBay SHOW in their reporting ?
1) Are unpaid items deducted from 'sold' ?
2) Are 'offers' properly accounted, or, only the orig. list price ?
3) How can one price that $20.00 widget ?
Is it 'worth' $20., $18., $15. ?

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 10:27:34 2018

Yeah, another pain in the arse change for, really, well, no good reason,  just to mess with people. We didn't start encountering it until Saturday.

We use the sold auctions to check for missing parts on items we plan to sell. So, now there are fewer chances to see a complete item (we sell toys, obviously) and get useful info. It does look like something else that they plan to find a way to monetize...

As for @EyeFlipDaily,  that statement just makes my head hurt...

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 4 12:06:22 2018

"And ebay gets a bigger profit."

eBay's take is 10% for most sellers.

If you're not making more then 10% you're not in the right business!

eBay makes 10% on my items, I make 25-100%

eBay NEVER makes more on an time then I do, I will never let that happen!

by: connie t This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 12:31:44 2018

This is not a glitch. None of these issues are ever glitches. They are purposeful changes in the software this enterprise uses to maximize their profit. A couple of months ago I was researching items I bought and landed on a page that showed my sold listings and the dates and confirmations that the item was shown as delivered. I found three items that were sold and not marked as delivered by ebay. Their system showed the items has not been delivered. I researched the tracking numbers on the three sold items and put traces on them thru post office. All were not delivered. I was unaware the items were not delivered as I was not contacted by the buyers and no cases had been filed. If they would have opened a case I would have had no recourse but to refund and lose the item as only one was insured. So if I could not find it as the seller I am guessing that the buyer would have had even more difficulty doing so. And especially as more and more buyers are just using their cell and mobile platforms to access ebay it is a much more cumbersome experience to do and after a short time if the monetary gain is not sufficient most will just drop the task. So the buyers have not filed or opened cases. Ebay protects and keep their fees. The buyer forgets the item that was ordered and not delivered as the data is either gone (deleted threads), unavailable thru ebay search or so difficult to find as to be essentially not accessible. As a seller I can ususally find the sold listing but it is a two or three step process to do so. The data is also hidden from seller.  And when you save an item you are looking at to buy in your email as a link (copy and paste the URL and save a draft) and go back to bid the item three or four days later the link does not take you back to the listing but more often than not to comparable listings. Why should ebay show a listing that already has bids when showing a different listing can be proffered and a new bid entered and fees generated. And even if you copy the listing URL, listing # and seller it is most difficult to find the listing without going thru a process. All these glitches are fully researched, tested and debugged (to make sure they operate properly as a glitch) and the software tampered with before ebay puts them out and takes the glitch live. I am surmising they have entire departments and software specialists working on glitches to their system that will go live for temporary periods and maximize their fees and also that they know what type of glitch and for how long it is needed to be live before they "fix it" so that they know what revenue it will generate and over what time and how long the glitch has to exist before "it is fixed" and for what amount of fee revenue it will generate. There are just too many of these things for it to be a coincidence. Millions of pages of code do not just temporarily change without any interference or change in the code for there to be all these glitches. They are changes and alterations done one way or another. It is Never a glitch. It is a software change done for and purposefully generated to maximize fees and revenue.

1 2 3  [Next Page]