Fri Feb 9 2018 10:18:54

Has eBay Solved Deadbeat Bidder Problem?

By: Reader

I do believe eBay has solved the non-binding Auction bid problem.

I had 3 auctions this morning that did not require that I send an invoice or reminder to customer to pay. It looks like eBay may be charging the PayPal account at the time of highest bid.

Has anyone experienced this movement?
L.

Has eBay Solved Deadbeat Bidder Problem?   Has eBay Solved Deadbeat Bidder Problem?

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 9 14:12:50 2018

It seems more like vigilant buyers who were paying attention. If this is the new policy, it is a poor one. Although I always pay immediately (though I generally buy fixed-price), I do not want ebay to debit my PayPsl account without my authorization. If ebay has implemented such a policy, it did so without announcing it in advance; though such action is typical of ebay, it is not acceptable.

by: cardfinds This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 9 14:31:24 2018

I haven't found this to be the case. I'm still waiting for payment on an item sold 3 days ago. I send a payment reminder after 2 days and then initiate an unpaid item case after 3 days. It may have to do with your own payment settings set up on your ebay account.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 9 14:59:39 2018

According to Ebay there are no dead beat bidders. All their buyers are saints, the sellers not so much

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Feb 9 17:00:59 2018

Charging the high bidder's PayPal account at auction end would make too much sense for eBay to actually initiate such a policy. eBay always chooses to do the dumbest thing possible.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Feb 9 17:53:03 2018

As a buyer I would not like this!

If i'm buying from a seller who has multiple auctions ending in the same day but not at the same time they could not combine shipping and I would be overcharged. . .

Sorry, as a buyer I WOULDN'T go for it. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Feb 9 18:37:31 2018

@L

I assure you that isn't happening.  One clear reason I can say this is that we all have not had to sign a new users agreement recently.  Ebay would not be able to take it upon themselves to make this drastic change unless it was covered in the UA.  And that would be a significant change.

You just got lucky and that is a good thing.  I hope you luck continues to serve you well.  And I for one am glad you are having an easy time with payments at this time.  That is a good thing.

While Ebay does NOT say there are no dead beat bidders, they really don't do a great deal to support sellers that continue to have problems with such buyers.  That may change after Ebay has it's own payment processing program in place.  But only time will tell us the answer to that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Feb 9 23:35:35 2018

Had auctions close tonight and most buyers paid pretty quickly but a few did not so NO this is not happening at all.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 10 05:24:32 2018

''...only time will tell us the answer...''

Hope springs eternal, kumbaya.  But time's progeny is experience, a wise oracle with quiet voice.  And in this, year 10, P3YP (post three-year plan), here's what time's has whispered: eBay has no incentive to 'change' how it empowers 'high maintenance' buyers, no matter how it wields it's rake.

Because eBay neither own or invests in any of the crop it reaps.  Nary a clock, watch, pendulum or tuning fork.  And it's clearly cheaper for them to ozmosis the deadbeat risk to the 'seller' than it is to pay for any 'wall', amigo.

Pray for the seller sinners, Amen.  But ask not for whom the bay tolls, it tolls for thee.  Or maybe thee over there.  Don't matter to eBay in the end really, a tithe will acrue - someone will consummate the sale, if they stiff yours.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Feb 10 15:14:30 2018

Marie writes: "[W]e all have not had to sign a new users agreement recently."

I'm sure I don't need to remind you, of all people, that every time you log onto eBay you are "signing" and agreeing to their TOS. And it's been documented in the past that they change provisions of their policies without prior notification to the sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Feb 10 16:49:07 2018

@jack

Ebay has in the past required members to resign / agree to the UA when they make a significant change to it.  They did so at least twice.  The one that comes to mind is when they added the clause that they can hide listings.  If you wanted to continue to sell on Ebay you had to agree to the new changes.  I think the other time was when they added the clause about no class action suits, but I'm not sure.

You are correct.  They have, do and will continue to do what may be deemed as minor changes to the UA just as they do to the rules and policies of Ebay.  I did not intend for what I posted to sound like they didn't.  But they have only done a few major changes to the UA and when they have done that in the past, they have required us to agree to the UA again formally for a lack of a better word.

by: Lightning This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 12 00:46:17 2018

Wow, by chance a whole 3 auctions got paid for promptly.  Sounds like a big enough sample to suspect that ebay made a massive, global change in its methods - NOT.  I find this hysteria hysterical.  In similar news, it rained here today, so it must be raining throughout the entire US.

by: walkinwillie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 12 07:53:16 2018

I have had very few deadbeat bidders in the past five or so years. I don't know what eBay has done like putting more pressure on buyers that haven't paid for an item. My problem is that I will have 80% to 90% pay very quickly but then the rest will straggle in during the week and since my warehouse is 8 miles away it causes an extra one to two trips a week in order to maintain the top seller status. Starting to wonder if it is worth it but 10% off FV fees is still a good chunk of money over time. Bottom line is that I wish buyers would pay immediately like we all do when we checkout at Amazon or our local grocery store.

by: Diogenes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 12 08:28:04 2018

Deadbeats continue to be a problem on sites like Ruby Lane where so-called buyers make ''offers'' or purchase items and then do not pay. Seller sends numerous time-wasting reminders and meanwhile a precious stock item is tied up as ''sale pending'' so genuine buyers cant purchase it.

I'm always willing to give non payers a second chance if they have the courtesy to contact me and explain why they had to withdraw (loss of job, unexpected expenses, etc). In the case of overwhelming silence I block that member from my shop and from all my shops on every platform. Ruby Lane has a very robust blocking facility. If a buyer is blocked by four separate sellers they may have difficulty in buying from many of the other sellers on the site even if they have never done business with them.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 12 09:29:35 2018

I love 'best offer' low-ballers, who, after you accept their pittance, ignore you & never pay... I've seen bold sellers leave 'did not pay' in pos. feedback and there are 10, 12 or more... and the 'buyer' is still active... NOTHING is being done.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Feb 12 16:20:36 2018

@snapped

My statement "But only time will tell us the answer to that."  Was not meant as a "hopeful" comment, but more of a factual one.  It was also a statement I made specifically on Ebay's upcoming payment processing program, NOT deadbeat bidders.

Many of the particulars of how this new upcoming policy will work, we can only guess at this point as the details have not yet been released.  Most likely there will be some good and some bad.  But until they apply the program and give us the details, we just don't know.  No "kumbaya" here, just the desire for more specifics from Ebay.

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 12 16:47:31 2018

It is not possible to charge buyer at time of purchase.  Buyers do not have any payment agreement with Ebay to allow them to take money from their Paypal accounts and they have no Credit Cards on file to back it up.  OP has just been lucky. I currently have 2 ended auctions past 4 days that I am still waiting for payment on.