Tue Nov 6 2018 20:51:55

Did eBay Make Changes to Customer Service for Stores?

By: Reader

I have an eBay Anchor store. When I call Customer Service, I try and do it when they first open. I am familiar with the "we are not open yet" message. Normally it tells me when they open in terms of Pacific time. I think it was 8am Pacific time.

Today I got a different message. It's now Mountain time instead of Pacific time and its 6 am.

I could be mistaken and/or you may not care. I thought it was something not everyone will notice and I thought you might like to know.
Thanks,
C.

Perminate Link for Did eBay Make Changes to Customer Service for Stor   Did eBay Make Changes to Customer Service for Stor

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Tue Nov 6 21:33:01 2018

I don't think you were mistaken and with an anchor store with concierge US-based service I'll hazard an educated guess that what you experienced was likely a result of eBay moving to a distributed customer service model as part of their eBay@home G&A cost-cutting initiative (eBay will likely spin it as an enhanced customer experience yadda-yadda, but it's a pretty standard cost-saving measure - Call centers cost a lot to run and work-from-home agents can scale up and down seasonally much quicker. Unfortunately training can be a challenge and is often a weakness unless it's a simpler task such as order-entry).

Last I heard eBay was hiring remote workers in Akron (along with their retail revival initiative - some nice Ohio tax and employee training incentives I'm sure) as well as the Draper/Salt Lake City UT(Mountain time) area and Austin TX. ECB I believe reported on this.

When you called your call was likely routed to whatever eBay had programed for that time of day and call volume. Typically companies keep a consistent messaging (usually in Pacific/Eastern times) to keep any behind-the-scenes routing invisible to the consumer.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 7 05:19:48 2018

"EBay is new to this so I expect a few more kinks before they get things worked out."

Universal headline tag of the year nominee.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 7 06:30:49 2018

"eBay customer service"  HA!  Ranks right up there with military "intelligence".

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 00:33:02 2018

Don't remember it ever being 8am PDT start time.....it was 5am PDT opening time, I believe.

5am-10pm PDT.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 01:46:13 2018

When I call for my anchor store I have consistently gotten a CSR in Utah who is knowledgeable and helpful.  Lot of eBay stuff to grumble about but I am happy with CS.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 06:53:35 2018

OP, they have new CSRs working from home, so they could be from anywhere in the US.  However, EB should have a message explaining this.  You're usually put on home while they roam to find an available CSR.  I don't like the new CSRs compared to the overseas CSRs who I felt were more professional and spoke eloquently.  The 2 CSRs US Based that I've dealt with stumbled through the answer and wasn't much help.  "yeh" "okay" "that sounds good"....I don't think they went through training and were just put in place.  PLUS, we can't rate them after the call.   And there's no "supervisor" you can escalate to.

by: JWsax This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 08:03:37 2018

Credit where it is due, I've needed to call customer service recently on a couple of issues. I got native english speakers with good listening skills who got my problems resolved. Maybe because I was calling as a buyer in these cases, but at least they didn't make a hash of it.

One case had very odd circumstances that I'd never seen in twenty years on ebay. Neither had the rep and he admitted it but he told me what to do to get my refund as quickly as possible and I liked the pragmatic approach.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 8 08:39:38 2018

When I was looking for a home job for my son 2 years ago, I noticed ebay mentioned as a client for one of them. It was right there, in color on the providers website along with lots of other well known companies. I don't know for sure, but it seems this probably is true to some scale. Furthermore, it makes sense to me, for the sheer number of times over the years I got someone telling me things that made no sense at all (before the anchor store) and asked for a supervisor only to be told there is none. There is none because the person is at his house alone and works for a company that is not providing any support.
Since I started paying for it, the service it better, great for a while, it is worse now (but this is probably not the fault of the CS rep but ebay policies), but never the level of incompetence of the past.