Tue Jan 2 2018 15:00:31

eBay Buyer Returns LP Because It Does Not Fit

By: Reader

Buyers cite interesting reasons for returning products they purchased. This reader says an eBay buyer claimed his LP did not fit. What's the most unusual reason you've been given from a buyer wishing to return a purchase?

Just had an "authorized" forced eBay return for an LP phonograph record, for which the reason given and accepted by eBay, is:

"Reason for return - Doesn't fit"

So, this means you can return anything for any reason, valid or not, on eBay now?

Unless, of course, LP records are wearable clothing these days.
Nigel

eBay Buyer Returns LP Because It Does Not Fit   eBay Buyer Returns LP Because It Does Not Fit

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 2 15:12:58 2018

This is a BUYER REMORSE return.  So the buyer is going to have to pay the return shipping unless you decided you wanted to pay it.  And when you refund your buyer once the item arrives back, if you have separately stated shipping, you can withhold the original shipping amount from the refund.  And if you charge a restocking fee, Ebay will also allow you to withhold that from the return.

This is part of the new system.  ONLY on Buyer remorse returns are they auto approved.  If you want to possibly have some communication with your buyer before a BR is actually returned, go to your site preferences for returns and check the box that you require RMA number.  By doing this, you will have the opportunity to review the claim and communicate with your buyer if you want.  Then when you assign the RMA number, Ebay will proceed with providing the buyer a return label AT THE BUYER'S EXPENSE.

As to the reason for the return.  I must say that is very unusual, but consider yourself lucky, they could have filed a INAD.  While certainly they weren't completely honest, at least they filed it for a BR reason and therefore it will cost you much less to process.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 2 16:01:29 2018

Marie is correct about the whole process - which is why *I* go NO RETURNS ......

eBay 1) doesnt look at what happens "on thier system" - its like getting stupid VERO violations - they simply dont look/dont care  (LMAO "your partner at work) 2) they dont like telling buyers NO - just sellers.

Stupid eBay tricks ... funny but not new

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 2 16:29:28 2018

I disagree with Pace on the particular point regarding BR claims as a reason to have No Returns.  This new process started in October is a very good thing for sellers with return policies.  It takes some of the expense away from handling returns.

As for a no return policy, yes Pace is correct they would not have to honor a BR claim.  However INRs and INAS still apply.  So unless you have a high volume of BR claims, going No Return does not give you a lot of value.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 2 18:27:14 2018

When its the ONLY tool you have to protect yourself from the returns happy people that buy on eBay and run the company .... you take it.

True it provides little help in  the fake SNAD cases - but those cant be stopped in any case.

If eBay would SIMPLY role out a sane policy for returns, none of this would be needed - but they refuse to even abide by their OWN "conditions for returns" policy, so what can you expect?

The truth is that eBay is looking to offload WARRANTY issues on sellers. In electronics its use on vacation or use till it breaks then claim you got it that way (fake SNAD), and on other items - its simply use then return. eBay who doesnt care about sellers, pretends they know nothing (well isnt that the truth!) but here its about what you got and what you should have gotten.

Its all a scam by the people in San Jose.....

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 2 18:40:58 2018

The only thing that having a No Return policy protects you from are claims filed as Buyers Remorse.  And as you and I both know, most claims are filed as an INAD, which a no return policy does not help you with at all.

If you have a great deal of BR claims, then certainly, you might want to consider a No Return policy, otherwise I'm not sure what purpose a No Return policy has.

Seems to me that you would be better off having a return policy of either 14 or 30 days.  Check that buyer's pay return shipping, have a small restocking fee and then describe what your return policy is.  Also in your site preferences for returns, check off that you require an RMA.  But then this is just from my viewpoint which of course may be different than others.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 2 22:57:24 2018

I'm not sure what purpose a No Return policy has.

When you are out numbered and outgunned - you can either pick up rocks and throw them or wave the white flag - I prefer the former.

I dont get many returns (in general), those few that I do get are the ones where I get abused - and my "partner is no where to be found".

Since the only tool they give is NO RETURNS - Ill use it.

Of course as you said - it does ZERO for fake SNADS, but thats ONLY because eBay puts its thumb on the scale and cheats for buyers. Buyers can (like here) say ANYTHING.

eBay should have stepped in here and said to the buyer NO - REGARDLESS of what the seller chose - its obvious abuse - but abusing sellers is an eBay executive past time, so nothing will change.

If they cant even back up their own words (in the help section under returns) and @trinton's admitted that eBay will make up rules ON THE FLY to protect crooked buyers ... then really its ALL pointless isnt it?

Yes I understand your point - getting some money back (in a restocking fee) and not "forcing" the buyer to do a SNAD "just because", may be better for some - but for ME - I wont go down with out a fight - not when the pond scum in San Jose cheat their way to the top.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 3 01:39:40 2018

''LP Did not Fit''

This actually could have been a valid reason, some of those small 45 players won't fit 33's

plus  not too many people today even know what an LP is, it's plausible they might have thought it was a CD they were buying who knows,

People are nuts, Best to take all returns, don't ask questions, and move on to the next sale, much better for your sanity,

the

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jan 3 02:43:16 2018

@pace

I'm not sure where you get abuse from.  They filed a Buyer's remorse claim.  They did NOT file a INAD.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 3 04:45:58 2018

maxmad ... OK, but I see an even MORE LIKELY scenario whereby the BUYER bought an LP thinking that they were going to RECEIVE a CD.  Ebay in MEDIA categories is just PLAIN NUTZ and for example LUMP all VIDEO versions  of "Gone With the Wind" into the same CATEGORY and a Search for 'DVD Gone With the Wind' will RETURN HUNDREDS or even THOUSANDS of listings for DVD Blu-Ray HD-DVD Laserdisc VHS and even Beta.  More than once I've had a buyer click buy now on one of my DVD OR Blu-Ray listings believing they were buying what THEY SEARCHED FOR ----  then astonished that I shipped what the LISTING said I had vs. what that BUYER had searched for.  I see it over and over myself when I TRY to do Comparable PRICE comparison vs. RECENT actually PAID sales prices on a specific Movie TITLE.  My preference is to use the UPC to find those, but when I see a bizarrely LOW number of sales I know that for one reason or another the EXACT ONE that I have up for sale is likely an ODD variant on the "standard version" of that movie.  Like the Full Frame version of a WIDESCREEN movie, (Imagine if you will the Pan-and-Scan version of Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, ORIGINAL Cinerama release of Brothers Grimm) some anniversary release, 2-disc release, Criterion Version, extended release, UNrated release, etc.  Try it yourself.  Do a SEARCH for "DVD Gone With the Wind"... or Spider Man and see how many you get that ARE NOT DVDs.  How many DOZEN VHS listings did you get mixed in with the DVDs?

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 3 06:41:27 2018

@angryllama

yes, I agree the search is messed up with ebay, combined with all the ''other promotional'' listings they now show you, it can and does confuses a buyer,

ALSO ,,,,,,,,,,

The '' Autocomplete search suggestions  '' they have been using is a problem too, it has fooled me a few times ,  thought I was searching for what I typed in, but ebay had auto changed the search item, they really need to add a confirmation box when they do that,  because there must be a slight delay on some internet connections,  before you click the search icon.

I think human nature is to believe that what you typed in is actually what is being showed to you,

There are just way to many ways a buyer can make a mistake, especially on line, lots of distractions in the home or out with your phone,

We stopped fighting the buyer with returns many many years ago, we tell them to return the item, or whatever is left of it, and we refund the money,  sure we loose the sale / sometimes the item and a bit of money, but we save our sanity to go on to the next big sale.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 3 08:49:24 2018

So...the concensus seems to be that a likely cause for certain buyer remorse (or even SNAD) returns is eBay's proclivity for returning listings from a search that do not precisely 'match' a buyer's intent.

Meaning that any return cost, 'defective' sale status, and resulting 'feedback' (i.e., blame) will fall upon the seller to 'accept', and then live wth, even though the actual 'fault' is eBay's ineptness in those cases.

How.....fitting.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jan 3 12:51:33 2018

@snapped

I don't think this has anything to do with a "search" on Ebay.

With the new changes with the return process in October of 2017, on Buyer Remorse returns, sellers do NOT have to take on all the costs of a return anymore.  They may choose to, but they don't have to.  SNADs are basically the same.

Getting bad FB after a claim tends to be dependent upon how the claim went.  There are some protections there for sellers if the Request closes with a resolution accepted by both parties.  And if it is a claim that closes in the favor of the seller, then the FB is protected from negs or neutrals.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 3 13:26:33 2018

Toolguy will be coming along in a moment to say he NEVER gets returns because all his customers are happy and his 'partner' has his back! :)

'Doesn't fit'...  probably means it's a 12" disk and they were expecting a 10" disk and it won't fit.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jan 3 13:37:25 2018

@hopeforthebest

I have a return sitting right in front of me!

Customer said the item didn't work out for him.

I lost $4.30 shipping the item to him and he lost $7.75 shipping it back to me!

Neither of us went thru eBay so they still got their FVF on the item. . .

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 3 14:41:04 2018

@pace

So spending the time, money and effort to ship something (fragile), only to have a buyer (possibly) use it, scratch it, copy it - then claim something stupid and make the seller stop what they are doing to deal with it - isnt abuse?

How can an LP not "fit" ? its a bizarre statement on its face. True the guy was stupid enough to "accept returns" but should he be punished for his generosity?

I promise you this - if the seller got back %120 of the sale (with costs) - all of it would come to an end REAL quick ... its just that eBay doesnt care .... (since it doesnt cost them anything)

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 3 18:32:55 2018

Maybe the DOPE thought it was an 8ban record!

8ban - mini playable Vinyl Records from Japan

Dopes - welcome to selling on eBay !

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 4 00:20:22 2018

>The only thing that having a No Return policy protects you from are claims filed as Buyers Remorse.

I have a "no returns" policy because I would rather lose a sale than have to deal with a return. (I'd be happy to lose 15% of my sales to have a 75% reduction in returns). If a "return happy" buyer comes to my listing, I'd rather them hit the back button than to buy my item, find something wrong with it and force a return.

This user has validated their user name. by: DeathFromAbove

Thu Jan 4 02:57:08 2018

It did not "fit" their delicate entitled snowflake hipster sensibilities.  Therefore it must be cast off, even if the cost of return will exceed the final refund.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 4 03:41:37 2018

I'm in my 60's and vaguely remember on record players, some of them needed a round plastic gadget inserted in the middle of the record so it would fit on that skinny spindle. I think that is how it worked. so if that was the case and they didn't have that plastic piece, it wouldn't fit.

I've had two refund requests on patterns I sold on Amazon from buyers that thought they would be getting actual garments. This happens at least once every Christmas season. I don't know how I can make it any plainer to buyers that they are buying a sewing pattern not a garment for a ridiculously low price.

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 4 07:05:56 2018

Sometimes records are made with a smaller spindle hole. If the record is forced onto a spindle which is a tight fit the record can sometimes crack. When this happens some people will use a circular file to make the hole bigger but collectors would prefer a record that does not need to be altered as it may damage the label. If the record is valuable or bought as a future investment then this return is not as mad as it seems.