Fri Nov 17 2017 14:25:37

eBay Charges Seller with Improper Use of Keywords

By: Reader

eBay sent this reader a warning about her use of keywords, but she said her title was an accurate description of the product she was selling. Does it signify a new crackdown (or a new glitch)? Let us know if you've experienced anything similar.

This is a heads up that eBay appears to suddenly be cracking down on sellers for "keyword spamming."

I had a doll listed. The item title was an accurate description of the product I was selling, not keyword spam. eBay sent me a warning note threatening me with banishment etc. if I continued to "keyword spam".

I have never been tagged like this on any of the 3 accounts I have had over the span of 19 years on eBay, so I can only surmise that this is a new thing.
Amy

eBay Charges Seller with Improper Use of Keywords   eBay Charges Seller with Improper Use of Keywords

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Nov 20 12:33:45 2017

@acgreen

The link was in my posting.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 20 12:33:59 2017

We got nailed with "NO HD" when describing a laptop that didn't have the hard drive included.We didn't want to waste a buyers time clicking through to a listing where you needed to install a hard drive to use it.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 20 14:07:45 2017

> We got nailed with ''NO HD'' when describing a laptop that
> didn't have the hard drive included.We didn't want to waste
> a buyers time clicking through to a listing where you needed
> to install a hard drive to use it.

It probably panicked over the word ''NO'' in your title. The word ''NOT'' is equally fraught, because it can be followed by some keyword that will lead to results that are the exact opposite of what's intended, such as an item that's ''Not Samsung'' getting swept up in someone's search for Samsung items.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Nov 20 20:51:07 2017

I would call eBay and ask for a manual override (I'm not too optimistic though).

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 20 23:57:23 2017

I am the OP. I take offense to my reporting of this issue being called "BS" simply because I did not list the title. Seeing it was a rather odd item, and not particularly common, it would be an identifying factor and I don't need trouble makers to find me.

I was simply offering a heads up.

1 2