Wed Nov 15 2017 19:19:50

eBay Changes Search to Divert Shoppers to Cheaper Rivals

By: Readers

Two readers have concerns about a recent change to eBay search. Next to listings on the search results page, eBay now places links that divert shoppers to a different seller that offers a lower price.

Here is another thing that eBay is doing to their sellers that I think is impacting sales. As I sell mainly cosmetics, I recently came across this on the search page for many of my items. eBay is displaying the following for nail polish:

2 new & refurbished from $35.89

I have called eBay numerous times to ask why and how they can put something like this on a cosmetic as you cannot refurbish a cosmetic! The answers are mixed of course, no one knows, or it is a Beta test.

Now when I look at listing like this I wonder the following:

1) Is the item new?

2) Why buy here when I can buy cheaper somewhere else?

3) Why is eBay trying to take buyers away from my listings and sending them to sellers with questionable feedback, lower feedback numbers, etc?

The latest excuse I got from eBay is the Beta test is used on Experienced sellers like myself who have proven records of good service and authentic items.

Seriously I think they are taking what little traffic there is on eBay and bringing it to other sellers. Don't I pay my fees to advertise my own items and not others?

Needless to say I am more than a little peeved about this. Sadly no one at eBay really cares. Thanks for any insight if you publish this as I could use any info I can get.
Sandy

********

It would seem eBay is tweaking its search again. I noticed something completely different today when researching an item on eBay. A search for the item "Arnold Solenoid" produced a list of various offers as usual, however under each listing eBay is now copying Amazon by adding: for example- 6 new & refurbished from $14.61, as an active link tied to "eBay's Pick" listing.

This is not on the seller's listing page, but on the search page under the search results. When I clicked on that link under several different offers I found I was taken to one specific listing with the lowest price for a new product in all but one case - where in that case a "new other" item had a lower price.

If you have mentioned this recently I missed it in the newsletter. I only ran across this once today, but it looks like it could be the way listings are presented to buyers in the near future. It will be the equivalent of competing for the "buy box" on Amazon.
Regards,
Debra

eBay Changes Search to Divert Shoppers to Cheaper   eBay Changes Search to Divert Shoppers to Cheaper

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 15 20:26:18 2017

I've been aware of this issue for quite some time.  What bothers me most of all is that the cheaper items eBay is directing buyers to are NOT always the same as the item I have listed.  I believe eBay is basing these comparisons on UPC (or similar) numbers.  What they fail to understand is that not all products with the same UPC are identical!  I sell collectible vinyl records.  In many cases, there is a limited-edition version with the same UPC as the standard edition.  For example, I may be asking $100 for a limited edition pressing of such-and-such an album on blue vinyl.  eBay states that the item can be purchased from another seller for just $18!  A savings of $82 - what a deal!  Only when the buyer clicks on the link eBay provides, they see (at least in many cases), that this $18 record is the standard edition on black vinyl.  As eBay was quick to point out, if a buyer wants the limited collectible version, they won't purchase the standard $18 copy.  While this is true, the buyer has now navigated away from my item based on erroneous information, and now needs to find my item again.  This is nothing short of false advertising on eBay's part.  I opened up a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and they sent me a letter referring me to the California Attorney General.  I contacted that person and received a form letter saying that they would keep my complaint on-file but could not guarantee any action.  What eBay is doing is flat-out illegal, yet with what little money I make, I have absolutely no ability to take eBay to court.  eBay knows this so they continue to do whatever they please.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Nov 16 00:12:29 2017

eBay has a HUGE problem with counterfeit cosmetics at too good to be true prices. Why they would shift a buyer to that market is beyond me. Strike "beyond me."

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 04:52:15 2017

Wonder how long that piece of spaghetti stuck to the wall?

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 05:50:05 2017

I did a search for Lusti, which is a brand that I sell. I arbitrage it from the dollar store and resell it.  Here's the link to the products listed:
m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XLusti.TRS0&_nkw=Lusti&_sacat=0
This
is a new one with the New and used search.  It's obvious a copycat Amazon and it's going to cause a true race to the bottom.  Remember the 1c books on Amazon?  Same thing.
I don't understand how SOME items have competitive listings and some items don't.  To bypass this, you have to have a RARE / unusual / one of a kind item to not be placed in the swamp with the rest of the listings.
If Ebay wants to emulate anyone it should be Alibaba, which is bigger than amazon.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 06:56:18 2017

Better yet, if Ebay wants to emulate Amazon, it should just go buy Amazon.
I have so many complaints against Ebay, it's limitless.  I encourage everybody to tweet @askebay with their complaints.  Or write Devin.
Bob Kupbens seems to be the wizard behind the curtain, and I don't see where it's helping Ebay's revenues any.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 08:52:46 2017

Have to agree with LasVagueness. There are so many fake cosmetics coming in from other countries and for some buyers it is hard to tell the difference. They see cheap and they buy. I looked at numerous items and the ''cheap too good to be true sellers'' have so many negative fb yet buyers buy from them. Why risk putting something on your lips or worst yet your eyes because it is cheap? I think ebay buyers just love cheap and some even know that the cosmetics are knockoffs and will still risk their health in buying this garbage. Sadly when they buy an actual real brand they will even compare it to the cheap one and accuse the seller of selling fake items. Ebay doesn't care. They only care about the sales and that is the bottom line.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 10:09:17 2017

the amazon model... race to the bottom

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 10:20:06 2017

I don't have a degree in accounting but I'm mystified by this ''race to the bottom''  just what's the end game?  I'm blessed to have a huge supply of unique items but I carry the same things others do as well. Recently I've dropped my prices just a tad and just to get rid of them so I can get out of this stupid game - and just the commons. My unique items I'm holding my prices.  I too see suggestions on my listings but their NOTHING like the real deal - quality wise they can't be beat.  Until ebay entices good buyers back I fear it's only going to get worse.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 10:37:30 2017

each and every change the ceo proves he is a idiot that has no idea what he is doing.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 12:32:45 2017

The race to the bottom doesn't benefit the platform because they lose on dvd...right? they have to make it up in mass volume

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 12:35:43 2017

They lose on f v f

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 16 16:20:41 2017

No WAIT... eBay would NEVER do that !!!

Oh wait - is it a sleezy move designed to steal from sellers ... well then it MUST be true - since thats eBays modus operandi.

Except that the idiots in San Jose are doing it wrong.

On Amazon it on the product page NOT in the general listing section! DOH!

You can ALWAYS count on eBay to screw things up - its what they do ......

All it will do is cost eBay a FVF loss AND anger more sellers - but hey thats what eBay excels at!