Thu June 23 2016 20:16:38

What Do You Do When Online Sales Take a Nosedive?

By: Reader

Hello Ina,
Since early May I have experienced a huge decrease in sales on eBay. My sales have dropped approximately 80%.

I expect sales to slow down for the summer months since more people are outside and not glued to their computers, but this is a frightening drop.

Conveniently, I also signed up for an eBay subscription in late March or early April so that I could list more items, and then my sales took a nose dive in May. Is this the result of poor marketing on eBay’s behalf or some kind of manipulation regarding how items are marketed and searched?

At the present time I am losing money, and I cannot cancel my subscription without paying a $130 cancellation fee.
What should I do?
K.

What Do You Do When Online Sales Take a Nosedive?   What Do You Do When Online Sales Take a Nosedive?

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 25 09:27:51 2016

>>@ moonwishes

16 items a month? That doesn't work! >In the last 31 days I've sold 108 items on eBay.

And I consider that to be slow! <<

And many ebay sellers would consider 108 orders a month to be slow. I have had many months were I have sold much more that 108 orders on ecrater. This is not a competition. It is each seller doing the best they can and being successful in their own way.

My circumstances are unlike yours and I have limited time and energy and do this on a part time basis, yet my total orders from all sources this month is 56 at this point. Things went much better before google poked it's nose into small seller's business on other venues.

The reason I only mentioned it, is that Chicago48 has sold on ecrater under a different name and had the same attitude of NO sales. While they started selling there around the same time I did on ecrater, they are up to a whopping 99 sales in around 8 years while I am near 4800. I do get tired of people saying ecrater has no sales. It solely depends on what you sell and how hard you work for sales, etc. Many other sellers have had many thousands of sales as well. I sold the same inventory on ebay before I left and also went over 4000 in sales over the years, but when my sales slowed down enough that I wasn't even making back my store and FVF I left. Ecrater has no listing fees, so even if you focus on another site, you can still be picking up sales by listing your inventory there. It does have a very minor FVF at this point on any sales that come through their marketplace. I have never had to pay more than $12 in FVF/month. On ebay it wasn't unusual to have fees of over $800/month.

I'm happy to be on ecrater, but not wanting all my eggs in one basket, I sell elsewhere as well.

You love to scoff at sellers that don't like ebay or that aren't getting the sales they like, etc. I used to be an ebay cheerleader as well although I never implied that someone was an idiot as you seem to a lot, until ebay started manipulating search and every other way they could think of to collect fees and make small sellers miserable.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 25 10:19:51 2016

@ Moonwishes

16 sales a month is good if you sell Rolex's or Ferrari's.

I sell used tools

"You love to scoff at sellers that don't like ebay"

eBay's my team!

We're partners in crime! ~ LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Jun 25 13:11:24 2016

Toolguy says "We're partners in crime! ~ LOL"

Are you referring to your recent suggestion that buyer purchase new item from Amazon seller and return a broken item of the same back to the seller on Amazon?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 25 14:21:45 2016

@ Rexford

I never said to buy a "new" item.

And I didn't say to return a "broken" item.

Are we playing Chinese Whispers?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jun 25 19:22:26 2016

@toolguy

"eBay's my team! We're partners in crime! ~ LOL"

I think you are right on target with that statement.  Maybe without the "LOL" added on judging from your response on a different thread where you recommended committing Mail fraud and fraud against another seller as your answer to a problem.

****************************

On Ebay, for me, sales fell off significantly in March of 2014 and have yet to ever recover.  It happened for me when Ebay got hacked and when Google downgraded Ebay in the searches for spamming.

I have diversified more, I'm doing better than I was, but I'm not near my level of sales when Ebay was running better.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Sun Jun 26 01:26:24 2016

Just checking in for amusing @toolguy and pace306 repartee. As always, thank you gents.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jun 26 08:34:35 2016

Tool, it was perfectly clear what you wrote. Whether new or used, your point was crystal clear...MAIL FRAUD.  You can try to weasel out of what you said now but your comment lives on in the blogs.

Thank you Marie for reminding Tool of the comment his selective memory seems to have forgotten.

Truly a partner in crime.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jun 26 09:48:13 2016

@Rexford

I'm NOT trying to weasel out of anything and I stand by my statement.

If I sent in an item for Amazon to store and sell and they returned an item of lesser quality I would return it and order another one until I got an item equal to the one I sent in. NO FRAUD INTENDED

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 26 10:01:19 2016

LAS - I only posted in this thread to tease "clothing seller" about their post. I appreciated the Richard Wright deadpan answer about how she deals with slow eBay sales.

I try hard not to argue with TOOL these days, but sometimes "my evil inclinations" get the best of me and I cant hold back.

For what ever reason, Tool doesnt understand how eBay works. He sells items very few (if any) other sellers sell and therefore doesnt go through the torture the rest of us do - therefore in his mind - it never happens.

The majority of us here sell more common items and therefore we fall into the "ebay is the worst selling partner you could possibly ever have" routine, over and over again.

Tool (because hes not on an other major marketplace) doesnt understand how Amazon works, or even Jet or Walmart.

Its fine that he doesnt "get it" but his obtuseness that these things dont exist - is infuriating to us all.

I'd much rather talk to Marie (just using her SN as an example - not as a specific) about wall paper drying then Tool about how business works - it would be a much more informative conversation.

eBay this calendar year is down %35, and I've therefor spent more time on Amazon then ever (I started sending in TVs to FBA) and the results have been good :)

I've also had to go NO RETURNS on eBay - whos punishing me via Cassini because I REFUSE to be ripped off. But, thats how it goes on eBay - I expect nothing from them and get nothing from them.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jun 26 10:36:33 2016

@ pace306

I offer a 30 day return policy on eBay.

So far no one has used my "Free Rental" program ~ LOL

PS: I don't understand how eBay works, that's why I have almost 14,000 feedbacks. . .

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 26 12:16:11 2016

@printersmithcom2 - Thanks for the information in your post. I looked up the links you gave and while they all gave some excellent information, one in particular was a help for ideas of things to look for in my thrifting to source other products to resell even though I don't use ebay.

The interesting thing I noted about everyone's advice for using Cassini, is for the most part using best listing practices that have been around for a long time, not that many want to use them. I still remember a seller trying to sell photos of roses. Their titles was 'rose 1', then 'rose 2', and so on with maybe about a 10-20 character 'descrition. And they couldn't understand why no one was listing. Good titles and good descriptions will always help and using words that a buyer would use for search. Because really who would use L@@K, gorgeous, beautiful, great, lovely, etc. in their search paramters? Yes, the item may be all those things but a buyer wants to know WHAT you are selling. I ran into an ebay listing years ago for something selling for ~60-70 cents. The photo was too fuzzy to see what it was, the title didn't say what it was nor did the dscription! I studied the listing and studied it and couldn't figure out WHAT they were selling. In other words, wasted listing fees and no sales.

I do think that for those of us not using ebay or Cassini, many of the things about getting noticed would work on other venues as well. Thanks again.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Jun 26 18:20:42 2016

I used to make most of my sales during conventions with eBay to fill in the gaps.  Unfortunately, that's slowed down alot over the last year.  People are, incredibly, paying significant entry fees, then expecting me to not only beat pre-ship online prices but not collect sales tax either.  Organizers have a great racket, charging fees on both ends and standing back as patrons blame vendors for trying to make a buck after rent, travel, swipe fees, and taxes.  The only good part is that we can't be held hostage for 6 months by the venue.

Anyway, I like eCrater, but it's still only a trickle.  I don't blame them, the market is really lethargic and I don't do much marketing because of that.  Still, it's not unthinkable that I could end up doing better there than eBay.  But what I really need to do is get my own site up and running...

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 26 23:21:32 2016

TOOL - again - because your items are NOT main stream, you dont understand how "what happens in the real world" impacts the rest of us.

Its not ahout how many feedbacks you have, its not what they say - it WHAT you sell.

I DARE you to start selling clothing or shoes, or even electronics.

Try (like some here) seliing handmade items or vintage items - you will see how things change IN A NY MINUTE (as they say).

Of course - unless you can tell me about your experiences with eBay and the multitudes issues with Trust & Saftey and/or VERO ... can you?

Have you had to threaten eBay in court for allowing false VERO claims? I have.

Has Trust & Saftey not allowed you to sell items overseas based on a law that doesnt exist? (you cant because a law or laws DO exist - in my case the maker made them up and NOTHING I could say would convince T&S otherwise).

I have lots of stories about eBay and how they operate. YOU operate on the surface. You list items and then sell them - for me (and others here) the situations are DEEPER and way more complex .... hopefully you WONT ever have to "one day understand".

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 27 02:44:58 2016

@toolguy

You completely miss the point that Pace is making or intentionally choose to overlook it.

While 14,000 FB is a great accomplishment it doesn't mean you understand Ebay as a whole, which is extremely clear from some of your posts here.  You have a great understanding in the area in which you sell, but are completely myopic about the real problems that exist in other categories.

FYI, I have more than twice the FB you state you have.  Now that doesn't make me a better seller than you, but it does give me a little more experience.  And I don't always sell in the same categories.  I have a range of things that I do on Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jun 27 06:58:09 2016

Tool, when you stated "I stand by my statement" I'm not sure why the image of Richard Nixon stating "I am not a crook" popped into my head. Thanks for the laugh.

by: RLS This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 08:02:54 2016

@toolguy

Could you please post your ebay store name or website? While I sell a different category you seem to be very successful selling on ebay and would like to study your site. I am sure I am not the only one. We all may be able to pickup some of your traits for. Running a successful ebay biz

Rls

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Jun 30 09:45:44 2016

@ RLS

My eBay ID is: z50com

I just fired up my old account: vw

For items priced $12 & under.

I'm not a rich guy but have been a full time seller for 16 years running. Had a few tough years 2008-2013 but things are getting better.

1 2