Mon Oct 17 2016 08:45:02

eBay Extends Unpaid Item Period to Seller's Dismay

By: Reader

I use eBay’s Unpaid Item Assistant (UIA) to automatically file an unpaid claim 2 days after a sale. I noticed tonight an item I had sold 4 days ago was still unpaid and the UIA had not gone off.

When I checked my settings they were set to have UIA file after 8 days. I called eBay to ask if it was a glitch and was told that eBay is changing the minimum amount of time to file automatically to 8 days.

As far as I know, this was never announced to sellers. My other account is still set at 2 days and the rep explained that the 8-day wait is being gradually rolled out.

Sellers can still file the UIA manually, which is what I did in this instance. But I am annoyed this was never announced and that eBay thinks we should wait 8 days to get paid.
P.

Note from the Editor: The help page on eBay still says 4 days. We'll send an inquiry to eBay. Let us know what you are seeing.

Perminate Link for eBay Extends Unpaid Item Period to Seller's Dismay   eBay Extends Unpaid Item Period to Seller's Dismay

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 09:47:57 2016

I do all mine manually.
I send the initial invoice.
If still unpaid 2 days later I send another invoice.
Next day or more, still unpaid I send the unpaid notice.
This is when I will likely get a response. Half no answer, the others either an immediate payment or a request to cancel (you can no longer cancel after you send this notice - at least I can't due to system change).
I don't block the non paying unless I see them as an problem for some additional reason.
As soon as the ability to get my money back on the sales comes up I take it.
I was once told by the business helpers that kept calling me long ago that they were going to end all unpaid buying when they started that cart thing, LOL!
Ebay gets their money added to my bill right away, then I have to try to get it back. I do not have any sympathy for any buyer who does not contact me and say, I need a week or a few days to pay. I will wait, if asked, but this is not usual.  I cannot get my money back until the process is concluded so as soon as I can start the process is better for me.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 10:59:22 2016

As with everything eBay, there is a second face to this.

UPI's are the seller's problem, not eBay's, because eBay will immediately book any FVF due.  Even if the item closes unpaid and such fees aren't realized, that 'sale' will be recorded as such since no 'refund' is actually paid.

That item sale is also shown in any subsequent reseach return boosting the appearance of success.  All about the metrics in reports don'tcha know.

What that smokescreen obscures however, is the inherent human natural compulsion to want to be 'eligible' for that which is 'exclusive'.  Think about the lines that form around the block to enter the nightclubs that have a doorman deciding who is worthy, or to any other buyer discount club (which eBay surely qualifies as) that has similar membership qualifications.

Thus it is not, nor will it ever be, any concern of eBay to decrease the percentage of UPIs occurring on this epitome of unethical business practice venue.

Another 'strike' to the seller from the spitball that is eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 19 12:53:27 2016

Snapped says "As for eBay's ability to render payments more likely by securing buyer credit cards, they will tell you that such would 'scare away' customers."

Snapped, in my mind, those are the types of customers they SHOULD scare away. Very high risk customers.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 13:21:04 2016

@ Rex:

And thus, the absurdity of such an allegation, which either they don't see, or more likely, hope the unwashed masses won't.

Moreover, it's compounded by lumping in the willing with such an allegation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Oct 19 14:03:06 2016

@shesnotthere

Thank you.  I'm glad I could help you.  I'm also glad you took the extra step to re-verify your settings.  Often times that is where the problem stems from and we don't know how, why, when or by whom something got changed.  It just gives more support to why Sellers have a problem trusting Ebay.

by: darge This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 17:43:48 2016

I am a seller and a buyer. I wouldn't insist on payment within 2 days. Many of the sellers I buy from take much longer than that to post items. If sellers were obliged to post within 2 days of clicking the button then 2 days payment would be justifiable. I also have 25% of buyers who take longer then 2 days to pay and only about 0.001% non payers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Oct 19 18:34:05 2016

This thread really was not about who agreed or disagreed with filing a UID after 48 hrs had passed with no payment arriving.  That is just a decision each seller has to make in the best interest of their business and policies.  Some items purchased are time sensitive and others items aren't.  There isn't one right answer for everyone.

This thread brought out a problem they were having with the UIA.  And in further research by the OP they discovered that one of their site preferences was changed and it wasn't changed by them, which in turn caused them a problem with the UIA.

Some people use the UIA and others don't.  I'm one of the sellers that prefers to do it manually and maintain that control.  But that isn't the right answer for everyone.

by: darge This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 19:18:27 2016

Totally agree but was just blown away by a 2 day UID. I very much doubt that research would find a lot of support for this time frame.
I lodge a dispute manually on the very rare occasions I have to, after about 10 days. But as you say to each his/her own.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Oct 19 19:38:15 2016

Honestly it doesn't matter if there is support for it or not.  It isn't something anyone has to do unless they want to.  So it is there if you need it and can be ignored if you don't.

by: Tinker Belle This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 19:49:22 2016

@ Marie - You are incredible - you do seem to know eBay inside and out. You've helped me with several seemingly impossible to figure out situations!! I am so glad to see another in-depth explanation and knowledge. Good work (again)!!!!

@ shesnotthere - I'm glad this has been such an informative conversation. I have learned the hard way to check (re-check) my preference settings - eBay seems to be one of the worst offenders changing without my knowledge; but other sites have done that too. What a shame to waste our time having to play watchdog so unnecessarily. (Actually the Win10 update was T-H-E worst setting changer I have ever encountered! to the extent that my PC was not working properly since some post-update settings were now conflicting with each other!)

@Golddustwoman - you must have a store and it sounds like a terrific business but different than mine.

I can't do a standalone BIN. As a non-store I can offer it but only in conjunction with an auction (and eBay controls the minimum difference between the opening bid amount and BIN).

I have been selling on eBay since 1997 and cannot remember more than maybe 2 or 3 bidders who did not pay and I had to cancel. Maybe I am just lucky. I also sell on a private website and have had more non-payers there than on eBay (!)

I appreciate having more than two days to pay, because I usually can't pay instantly myself. I have no mobile devices at all, only a PC in my office. I don't have to rush things out the door and it doesn't bother me when a customer takes a few days to pay. On a rare occasion I will send a reminder after a few days and that has gotten results.

Obviously everyone must do what works for you. This has been an enlightening discussion and I hope I didn't get too far off topic.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Oct 19 20:10:29 2016

@tinker belle

Thank you, that is so kind of you to say.  I'm pleased I could help you.  I know it sounds corny, but I really do try on these threads to give accurate and useful information.  Sometimes I don't get it quite right, but my intentions are always good. And if I miss-state something I do try to get it corrected.

by: darge This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 22:38:31 2016

My intentions are also good Marie and I know the duration before sending a UID is simply a personal choice, not ebay's concern. I simply believe sellers are doing themselves a major disservice with short and automatic UIDs.
By "little support" I mean experienced sales professionals and guides would not recommend it as a strategy, it flies in the face of credible advice.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Oct 20 02:29:22 2016

This isn't a new thing.  They changed the rules for filing UIDs a long time ago.  I think most sellers use it responsibly.  If they weren't, we'd hear more about it.  I just don't see this as an issue to be concerned over.  In my mind we have bigger fish to fry with Ebay.  Besides, it isn't like it is a mandatory thing.  I have faith in my fellow sellers to do what is best for them in whatever circumstances they have.  We all don't sell the same stuff or have the same needs.

I don't think this was ever meant as a "strategy" for anything.  I'm not sure what it would be a "strategy" for?

This user has validated their user name. by: Jono

Thu Oct 20 07:46:17 2016

eBay have now enforced Immediate Payment on every account wether you like it or not! eBay agents had been telling me everyone has ticked the immediate payment box for months now but yesterday I got to the truth. Why has immediate payment been forced on us? The tick box for immediate payment was there for anyone to use…it still is there. Immediate payment does not stop non payment for auctions or accepted offers and in turn puts off any overseas buyers who feel cheated by having to pay postage on every single item. Why is there an option to create our own discounts when there is no way for the buyers to see the discounts due to a failure of the Shopping cart that has been ongoing for as long as the shopping cart was introduced? It’s just a waste of time creating any sales for overseas customers. As for the five year long shopping cart failure! Not a conspiracy? Why has it not been mentioned for years then? The markdown manager sales are no longer visible to overseas customers as well. eBay is a continuing contradiction and these gigantic problems damaging overseas trade are unforgivable. If they removed the shopping cart we could all go back to the days of overseas multiple sales. Then everybody wins. The very fact they have never publicly mentioned the shopping cart failure is gut wrenching. What is the point of a shopping cart that stifles overseas sales?  I was in a conversation with support via email asking WHY has it been forced upon all sellers? After ignorring my question 3 times in a row they then sent a message saying that emails to this address are not received! It’s like dealing with North Korea. Please try to get an answer from them. If this is not a ploy to make money from the global shipping programme then why has Immediate payment been forced upon us and no longer optional? I would love to know what they say.

1 2