Thu Mar 13 2014 10:57:45

Merchant Complaints about Delays in USPS Acceptance Scan Dates

By: Reader

A few weeks ago I noticed that my local USPS was "processing" packages 5 to 7 days after the packages were being dropped. The acceptance scan showed up to a week late, customers were not happy and were accusing me of shipping very late. Delivery was taking 12 days on average, after the "acceptance" date. It was either packages were being sent ground shipping or something else.

All I found so far is that post offices have rating system (like eBay DSRs), a delivery score system per post office, I guess masking the real acceptance date may have played a role on all this.

Because I requested a solution to that issue a few times, I was told that it was all my fault, that I was printing postage let's say on a Saturday or Sunday and dropping it Monday or Tuesday on long weekends. Not only I was told this after 4,000 packages later and weeks of communicating with the post office managers, but I was told that printing a label on a weekend or a day or two before the day I drop the packages was a federal fraud and that all the packages were going to be returned at the very least.

I drop with scan form and I print and drop same day every single item now. After a few weeks, the acceptance date problem is still happening.

I found it strange that they have no issue with the use of normal stamps, which have no date (but have no tracking and are more expensive), and no issue delivering a package 2 or 3 days late.

I have been searching online and on the USPS website, I found nothing about that federal postage law. I did ask USPS district managers and city post masters who are helping me to investigate that post office and they told me that they never heard of such a law and that it was up to the local post master discretion.

I also notice that many people are having the same issue in different cities. If the USPS is struggling to make some money, attacking small businesses is not the answer. Many small sellers have a job and print postage in the evening or on weekends.

Can you please publish this letter and to ask your readers if they can help me find a law or written policy regarding the label printing/drop date.
Best Regards,
Joe

Perminate Link for Merchant Complaints about Delays in USPS Acceptanc   Merchant Complaints about Delays in USPS Acceptanc

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Mar 14 16:03:48 2014

Well, there you have it, someone (Theresa, who appears to know what she is talking about) has finally explained the logic behind postage "dating" ...

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Mar 14 16:17:05 2014

I have always shipped on the date printed on the label. Several years ago my not-so-friendly at the time post office told me all packages have to be sent out on the shipping date or risk having the package returned. I always voided labels if not shipped on the date. I think what causes confusion is none of the reasons given to void the label mention the shipping date.

@the hosst
Both items were sold on ebay but the form is only on the USPS site. I put in the ebay item number and submitted documentation at the same time online. There is a USPS phone number if you need to follow up on the status. It was all pretty smooth and hassle free. Wish the post office had this feature years ago because collecting on claims was a real pain.

Nowhere on ebay (at least I couldn't find it) and buried deep on the USPS site is there information on the priority mail insurance coverage. If you do have a claim, you will have to hunt to find it but once there it is a pretty simple process.

by: That Guy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 15 12:02:43 2014

When I use Ebay's 'bulk shipping', it doesn't give me the option to change the shipping date.  Maybe it's hidden somewhere and I just don't see it?

Regardless... I've never had a package returned because of the date on the label.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 15 14:36:48 2014

I think you have the right to print a postage label, and to drop that mailpiece in any mailbox, even one that won't be picked up until Monday.

So it is easily possible for you to print a label on Friday at 11 AM, after your mail is picked up, and leave it for the next time you see the mailman, which could be Saturday or even Monday.

Or you can post the mail in a mailbox that won't be picked up until Monday.

I think you have the right to do all this, and no one can tell you not to do it.

It is completely improper for anyone to complain about any of this, especially since they are not paying for better service.

If a buyer wants express service and immediate tracking the buyer should be prepared to pay for FedEx express.  It's a premier service at premier prices. You mostly get what you pay for.

That ebay has made a system where people can whine and complain about things all the time is ridiculous, and it should just be stressed that there are different service levels available and that these are customer paid services. You get what you pay for.

If you don't pay for it you don't get it and shouldn't complain about what you didn't pay for.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 07:34:26 2014

All of the rules all of the policies and the USPS never takes blame for lost packages and slow delivery.
Now we add in a bunch of stock market tycoons trying to run ebay and they can't. They have a a fancy business degree from a big fancy school that their wealthy parents bought for them and they cannot tie their own shoes let alone make sound business policies.
All of this about the scans are sellers trying to game the dsr system which is evil just like the dsr system itself.
I print my labels and sometimes late in the daily I forget to change the date, so what.
I do not think this is that big of a problem if your honest. The real problem is the defect rate, and the 100% buyer guarantee, and the fake report a buyer program.

by: Sheshells This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 16 10:00:57 2014

My labels are printed on ebay,I stand in line with each and every package and get it scanned, every day..'while it takes some time, I have no hassles in proving when I got it to the PO, I use third party insurance so this is also important to also prove that the package actually was accepted. Mostly my scanned packages get there super fast...And yes, I make cookies for my post office workers, they are actually great!

by: beverly This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 17 08:08:29 2014

I have a phone number to the national post office

once I sent a package to Canada with the wrong address (my mistake) and they could tell me exacting where the package was and what to do

also, it is helpful to become friendly with your post office workers..my husband gives all 4 employees Xmas gifts and gives them pens..Yes pens..our post officer works do not get free pens Through the post office system..so they never have enough pens at the out post office

here is the National number