Wed Oct 1 2014 14:12:20

eBay Customer Service Wait Times Enough to Make You Cry

By: Reader

I would like to see you post this list of Customer service complaints taken directly from our community boards...this is from the last two days.

I am hoping that you might be able to send this list of comments to some executive/or frankly a few executives within eBay or some other key places in your bailiwick as I truly believe that they have no clue how bad it is.

They are not sellers and generally not buyers and so their need to phone CS on a regular basis is not allowing them to see the denigration of this part of the company.
Anonymous

Note from the Editor: We received this letter on September 26. (Please let us know if things have improved in your experience.)

********

I will not bother trying to call again. They have some nerve talking about anyone's customer service. They need to look in the mirror.

********

Well, I just hung up after a 40 minute wait time. How in the world is that good customer service?

********

Tried to call Friday and gave up at one hour hold time. Tried again today, Tuesday, and after an one and a half hold time, I gave up again.

This is EXTREMELY poor customer support and I am totally exasperated by the whole thing.

********

I waited on hold for 1 hour and 41 minutes today and then my phone battery died.

********

Well, it's two days later than when you wrote your post, but I tried for an hour last night to get Support and finally had to give up. Today I gave up after 1/2 hour, because I just don't have time to waste like that. I have to put the phone on Speaker, and their very loud music and voice interruptions just drive me crazy while I am trying to get work done while I wait. It's been this way for awhile, but never so bad as this.

********

I'm trying to reach customer service since yesterday morning, I've been waiting for more than 1 hr two different times and the do not respond, does somebody know what is happening?

********

My name is jay, from Boston, Ma. I'm trying to resolve a crazy mixup (on eBay's behalf) and I've been on hold for 4 hours! Did I mention I have 3 lines going?!?! This is nuts! I've gotten 2 live ppl who then tell me I need to talk to someone in usa. Can anyone help? I've called 4 times in 30 days on the same problem. I'm ready to rip my hair out!

********

I have been trying for days to get through to CS. On hold for an hour or more each time and then I hang up. eBay...PLEASE answer the phones!

********

I'm looking at the boards while at the 40 minute mark waiting on hold. No company is this bad with customer service.

********

I'm going to cry. 55 minutes on hold, spoke to an American who transferred me to India where I had no idea what they were saying, now back on hold.

********

Make sure you have your charger ready. I charged my phone 3 times, the bad part was nothing accomplished.

********

eBay's customer service process is an epic failure.

********

"eBay's customer service process is an epic failure." In our eyes, yes. In eBay's eyes, it's exactly what it's supposed to be.

********

Sadly, I completely agree, if eBay management was concerned in any way, they would not let this amateurish low level customer service debacle to continue, however, Wall Street does not care if customer service stinks so management does not even have the problems on their radar.

********

I have called 4 different times over 3 days and each time hung up after 90 minute waits. I might be on a list to never answer the phone. Are others having long wait time for eBay seller customer support? Is eBay customer support going downhill? Waited on line for over an hour today. I finally gave up and hung up.

Perminate Link for eBay Customer Service Wait Times Enough to Make Yo   eBay Customer Service Wait Times Enough to Make Yo

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 09:34:04 2014

A week ago I was on hold for 1 hour and then put on and off hold for another hour.Part of the problem for me is every time I call, ebay promises to do something but they don't follow through. Prompting me to have to call again.

You can have ebay call you. I wonder if that helps or not.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 10:17:12 2014

Most hated?  I think whoever said that was right--how do you take one of the best ideas ever conceived and kill it in less then 15 years?  JD and company proved it was possible.  I bet his mother always told him he was g-d's gift--and he believed it.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 11:23:16 2014

YES ^^^^ some one told the Ho that he was cute once and he never got over it.  Probably when he was 5.

I was on hold being "Triple Teamed"  for well OVER two hours after my first call was hung up on.  IF you DO manage to get to speak to someone--off shore pretty much--then you get YESSED to death and told how VALUABLE you are as a long time ebay member--and ONE CSR decided to go ballistic on me because I was both a BUYER and a SELLER--apparently they only want--buyers?

Well anyways--after almost an HOUR on hold I got ANOTHER offshire person who ditto'ed the first and then told me I had to speak to THE TOP GUY--who was an American--so I waited.  AGAIN.

Surely this TOP GUY could solve these problems---right?

Nope.  Instead of trying to do ANYTHING to help me he castigated me for daring to think that ebay gave a Sugar Honey Ice Tea about ME and or my problems;  told me that NEITHER of the former CSR's had any idea what they were TALKING about--and basically to STFU.

This is NOT customer "service"  it is customer ABUSE and at any NORMAL company would be grounds for firing the CSR's.

At ebay it is SOP and altho I DO feel sorry for the CSR's---and I am sure that jobs are hard to come by in--where ever it is they are---I have DONE that job and if I had done it like THEY did--I WOULD have been canned.  On  the spot.

Not popping any JiffyPop just yet to celebrate Wenig but I can mutter a little wish now can't I????

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 11:55:25 2014

Quite frankly, I've been surprised they even HAVE the ability to call a number. Expect that change to a "ticket" system sometime soon.

by: fancypants This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 12:08:51 2014

Dr Shock:  My understanding is that ''call back'' is no longer available.  The last 3 times I called, probably 5 or 6 weeks ago, it was not offered.  I have seen on eBay forums that they haven't had it offered to them either.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 12:25:03 2014

Yes forgot to mention--the "Call back"  seems to have up and left town.

Last 5-6 times I had to call this was NOT AN OPTION

Please to compare ebay "Customer DIS-Service"  with that of Amazon where yu can get a knowledgeable "Live Chat" person within a few monutes AND you can call and get a LIVE English speaker in a few moments also. They also have the ABILITY TO FIX things while you are on the line with them.  I have not had to do this often but they were polite and understanding and wait times while on hold with them were minimal. On par with other service calls.

ETSY  offers ONLY a Call Back System and the one time I had an issue--as a BUYER mind you---I WAS called back very promptly altho they DO tell you that it could be a day or more. Also you have to PROVE to them you are WORTHY of a Call Back!!!    AND the person DID follow up when they said they were going to.  Now---I didn't LIKE the ETSY system as a buyer as the seller holds ALL the cards and there seems to be NO SUCH THING as Buyer Protection---or at least not in my case where what I paid for was NOT the precious metal I was SOLD.  The seller was allowed---no;  ENCOURAGED- to be nasty and unprofessional.

But the CSR part worked.

For better or worse for NOW these ARE the Big Three.

Ebay had better step up it's game.  Once Jackie MA moves in----

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Oct 2 12:36:41 2014

The call back option is available. I use it frequently and eBay calls back within a minute or two after hanging up. I just tried it and it claims a 3 minute wait, but they usually call within a minute. I don't believe I have ever spoken with a customer service representative offshore. Also, with all my grievances with eBay, customer service has been exemplary and has been for many years.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Oct 2 12:47:03 2014

Obviously, the "call back" button must be a further eBay selective option, otherwise how can anyone get a call back within in minutes while others wait hours hanging on ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 16:05:09 2014

I hate to sound like a cheerleader here. But they said they would remove that neg feedback soon as this case ended with a decision. so i called ebay cs, was on hold 20 min got through. said i wanted to speak with a superv.Got one, gave him the case # and within another 15 min got the neg removed. and he said if the buyer doesn't send the item back by oct 4th i can close the case and don't have to refund him 1 red cent. I just wanted to end ebay with all positives. i'm still done listing there and D O N E using paypig too. When calling ebay get the one time code to get through. calling ebay without  a situation code is a nightmare.

by: ItsALLAboutME This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 16:23:19 2014

I've called 3-4 times in the last few weeks and have had wait times up to an hour, but was routed to top customer care in Salt Lake City every time. I hung on to my TRS by upping my transaction count to 400-plus sales per 3 months, the minimum requirement for qualifying for the 3-month look-back. Under the 12-month look-back, I would have been downgraded to above standard. Incidentally, I upped my transaction count by adding approximately 20 low-cost items -- priced at cost. I consider the trouble to be worth it, but I'm still hoping the loss of Donahoe will result in changes that make this sort of game playing unnecessary.

by: ItsALLAboutME This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 16:25:25 2014

The call back option is only available for certain topics, notably buyer-focused. You can tell it whatever you want to get the call back, however, and they'll transfer you to the right department once you explain your problem.

by: Annne This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 19:22:07 2014

Why would ebay care if they answer anyones calls?  They already know they can treat their customers/sellers like crap and most of them will still stay.

by: DSR This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 2 22:19:13 2014

eBay removed my electric scooters claiming circumvention of fees.

I was conferenced in with eBay Motors and eBay Trade & Safety for two hours.

eBay Motors successfully convinced eBay my electric scooters belonged in eBay Outdoor Sports and not on eBay Motors.

I spent an entire night listing from new, since my removed listings no longer existed.

By 6 am my listings were removed again by eBay and I was restricted from selling for 3 days.

I spent 4 hours on the phone from 8 am to noon. eBay Motors could not convince eBay my electric scooters belonged in Outdoor Sports.

I waited 3 days and this time listed electric bicycles in Outdoor Sports and eBay restricted my account for 7 days.

I am done with eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Oct 2 22:30:50 2014

To get a call back choose the following:

Click 'selling' on the left side column, then click 'shipping' from the options on the right. The 'call me' option should be there under the 'call us' option. Let me know if this works for you.

by: Cloud This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 3 00:40:14 2014

The last time I tried to call was either August or early September. At that time my wait was under 10 minutes. I wonder if this has anything to do with the combination security breech, change of guard, and new extended returns policy, as well as the seller defect changes.

by: candyk This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 3 07:58:14 2014

After 1 1/2 hours, I got through last week-the CS assured me that the issue would be resolved in a couple of days. Didn't happen.. On 9/30 I waited 1 1/2 hours again (did laundry, fixed lunch,etc. while waiting) no answer. Gave up and decided to write a letter and send Snail Mail-Priority w/Signature confirmation to Customer Service - the $7.00 I spent was cheaper than my time waiting on the phone. The package was received on 10/2 and signed for by R. Molina - let's see if I get a response. If I do, maybe an avalanche of mail from others will wake them up - something has to - I never thought I would have to deal with a customer service department worse than AT&T - but this takes #1 in worst customer service.

by: ladykingel This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 3 11:09:32 2014

Greetings to all!
Not all of us are receiving the option to Let us Call you back.  I for one have not seen this option for over four months.

So, on this subject, I have found that I must schedule an extra 3-5 hours in my day just to handle INR *requests* wherein the item actually was received on time and the tracking shows this.

1. we must upload the applicable tracking into the resolution center.

2. we must then as a seller, phone CS immediately and wait for the first person to answer.  Of late, this is a minimum of 45-1.30' hold.  then we must get to the next person in resolution or member to member (i was told name of department was just changed again)
3.  this second wait is usually running 30-45''...
4. fortunately IF YOU GET TO THE CORRECT department (this is a 50/50% chance, you get a well informed, efficient person who can then immediately rule in your favor and remove your defect.

5.While you may be thrilled that you have succeeded...the real issue is:
a. the hugely long wait times
b. this sitation is likely to happen 2-3 times per week if you ship many items
c. the CS center is hugely understaffed and sadly undertrained.

My personal best to ll.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Sat Oct 4 19:10:34 2014

I signed into a dormant eBay account (9 feedbacks) and the 'call me' option was there. I also called using the passcode and got a wait time of 3 minutes. I repeated the steps for my active account and everything was the same. eBay picked up the phone in under 60 seconds.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Wed Oct 15 22:08:10 2014

I asked eBay today if they have different tiers of customer service. Their response: "yes." This would explain why some have long wait times.

by: Claim This This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 13 17:40:07 2014

Fyi, We are a Titanium seller and need to contact eBay 3-5 times a week. As of the the last month, the shortest wait time is 45 minutes. This is absolutely ridiculous and is very hard to do business. It seems as if there is little to no reward to be a Titanium seller any more. eBay offers shipping discounts, however due to the volume of business we do from our various channels are rate is a lot cheaper than that offered by eBay. I really hope things change this next year as it sure takes the wind out of expanding your business.

1 2