Fri Sept 28 2012 17:17:01

Yet Another Case of eBay Shipping-Label Fraud

By: Reader

Hello Ina,
I am another person who has lost about at least $1,700 plus from fraudulent shipping charges from eBay.

The funny thing is that when I investigated I noticed that my sales I made thru eBay and shipped out were duplicated over and over again for the same sale at a much higher shipping price. You would think that eBay would notice this. But instead they said I had to have been in another country making shipping labels.

I called my bank and restricted PayPal from removing more money from my back account and made disputes with PayPal because the eBay reps were no help at all. Thanks to my bank who contacted me and told me there were more shipping purchases trying to go thru I caught the last try.

After they rejected them I had PayPal start to investigating, since then they have started refunding me for a lot of the money.

This all started on Sept. 12th and I have all the reports to show it. I changed my wifi password and all my passwords from every site I am associated with since the 12th. Then they still tried to charge more!

I have lost several hundreds of dollars with my bank because of overdraft charges. Please let me know if others have gone through the same as me and I am more then willing to get to help with getting to the bottom of this.

Since this happened I have ceased my selling on eBay until I receive all the money that has been stolen from my accounts and will no longer use eBay shipping for my future shipping responsibilities.

Something tells me it may be an inside thing or hackers on the eBay web site since I have done everything to secure myself from the start. I have gotten some of my money back but not everything I am still missing.

Darlene

Note from the Editor: I contacted eBay on September 26 to follow-up on the increasing number of reports we're getting about this costly problem. eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore wrote, "We appreciate your readers flagging this. I'll look into it and keep you posted."

EcommerceBytes Letters to the Editor:

Beware of New eBay Shipping-Label Fraud

More Shipping-Label Fraud on eBay

eBay Discussion Boards:

Fraudulent Shipping Label Charges

HACKER USED MY EBAY ACCOUNT TO SHIP EXPRESS MAIL LABELS

Perminate Link for Yet Another Case of eBay Shipping-Label Fraud   Yet Another Case of eBay Shipping-Label Fraud

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Sep 28 17:51:38 2012

Is there any way for sellers to PERMANENTLY opt-out of printing labels using eBay/PP?

And by ''permanently'' I mean more than just a checkbox that a hacker could re-check after they broke in to the account.

Once a seller opts out, the ''service'' could only be re-enabled with a phone call, security questions, faxes, voiceprint verification, iris-scan, retina-scan, fingerprints, and a hand-written note from your mother.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Sep 28 19:53:37 2012

Not to belabor a theme but...

eBay seems to be playing fast and loose with the facts.

Multiple reports of shipping label abuse have been made yet eBay seemingly is in denial over these reports.

Either this IS a case of hacking which eBay is reluctant to admit or this is a bug in the eBay/PayPal shipping flow.

If it is a bug, it is causing sellers to be charged for labels with payments deducted from their accounts, but are the payments being transferred to USPS or is the 'lost' revenue lurking in PayPal accounts and inflating cash on hand balances?

An eBay spokesperson stated they would get back to Ina over 48 hours ago, yet no such contact has been made. In other words, eBay either has nothing to say, or they are delaying any statement and action until the books close on eBay's third quarter.

Either eBay has a hacking problem which they are fearful of disclosing publicly due to the potential downside of their image so close to the end of a reporting period, or, eBay may be intentionally creating and leveraging this "glitch" to give themselves interest free loans designed at sellers expense to inflate their books and deceive investors.

Either way, the slow response by eBay to these cases reflects a casual disregard for their customers while they play fast and loose with facts in order to conceal deeper issues from investors.

It appears likely that eBay's 'investigation' will not be complete until after the third quarter closes and then effected sellers will suddenly see refunds back to their accounts complete with the obligatory apologies from eBay.

Regardless, eBay will have the book balances they need to appease Wall Street by technically seizing seller funds under the disguise of yet another "glitch".

These deceptions should not be allowed to stand or continue going forward.

It is time for an investigation of eBay business and accounting practices by an outside auditor, as well as regulation of PayPal so that they are held to the standards for practices and accountability they have been avoiding for over a decade.

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Fri Sep 28 20:41:56 2012

The real issue here is WHY doesn't USPS finally update their antequated systems and allow anyone to print postage online directly through them.

Enough already of eBay/Paypal/Stamps.com, etc

USPS needs to step up to the plate. USPS keeps crying they are in financial trouble. Hello, get your freaking services online already, It's only 2012.

No need for merchants to have to interact with FeeBay, Preypay and other third party companies to print a darn shipping label.

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Fri Sep 28 20:45:58 2012

Postage is yet another shining example of how small merchants trying to do business are getting screwed. Of course it impacts the economy.

It's not Obama, Bush, Republican, Democrat, Christian, Jew, Muslim or whatever, it's these slimy corporations who make shady deals that screw everybody.

In my opinion, if USPS is providing the underlying service, they should accept responsibility for every facet of merchants/consumers interfacing their service.

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 29 07:54:55 2012

Can this happen to you if you have never used ebay shipping? I noticed they mention previous labels being reprinted with changes.

by: unusual1 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 29 17:28:53 2012

Why is anyone using ebay shipping?? It is more money than anywhere else and ebay gets another cut of your money.I use Endicia for regular items (under $100) and Transgardian for the expensive things. I get a receipt when I give it to the post office or UPS so it can be traced from the beginning. I NEVER use paypal, and if you are foolish enough to use it never leave more than $5.00 in the account.

by: trickstunt This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 30 03:23:43 2012

According to 2 different posters, you don't need to have ever sold a thing or have used their shipping.

It's hacked, clearly. but ebay is wanting to keep a lid on things, at your peril. They have zero regard for you or your well being.

God forbid the precious shareholders and general public finds out, but ebay members are just marks or noise without rights.

They need to be called out bigtime.

Victims getting the runaround may want to try this:

E-mail: haggler@nytimes.com

"Keep it brief and family-friendly, and go easy on the caps-lock key. Letters may be edited for clarity and length...."

Also the consumerist consumerist.com
@consumerist on twitter

The best plan however, may be to get as far away from the ebay paypal clownshow as possibly can.

Just look, they don't even know what day it is-- !

Talk about failure!

by: JoJo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 30 23:04:46 2012

Maybe this is why they wanted to have you unable to file class action law suits against them.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 1 00:20:08 2012

I often use www.usps.com to print labels.

by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 1 00:23:34 2012

From day ONE I have NEVER used PP or eBay but USPS for all my shipping needs. I don't want to give them one more cent than I have too. That is horrible OP having your money stolen via the supposedly SECURE site as eBay and PP.

And for this comment,Moore needs to be fired.
Ryan Moore wrote, ''We appreciate your readers flagging this. I'll look into it and keep you posted.''

by: Thetruthplease This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 1 03:50:20 2012

We have the same problem. Here's how the crooks do it! (It took me a week to get this out of paypal!) Most of the people this happens to have clicked on a harmless link at some point in the near term of when this happens. The crooks get a report that you clicked on it and in the middle of the night they go into your pc and generate the lables. They then send the lables to themselves. They then release your system. It's automated and it happens very fast with the lables already set up in the crooks software to pump them to your machine. Then they ship the items with their addresses (Usually overseas and most of the time to Russia or the Ukraine) from their location by dropping them in the bin at the local post office. It already has a lable and the post office doesn't care where the return address is (that would be your address) and it gets sent from the area the crooks are in and you get charged for it. When you go to fight it with paypal, they tell you that the lables were printed at YOUR IP ADDRESS and they make YOU look like the crook by printing and trying to call them to get out of paying! If your IP comes up on their systems, they will not give back the money since as far as they are concerned, YOU DID IT! We lost over $3700 in 2 weeks due to this and we got nothing back at all except attitude when we tried everything. We even called the postmaster generals office and ended up with nothing as well! You have to make sure that you have a computer that NEVER does anything except go to paypal to address lables! That's it! Otherwise you run a chance of clicking on whatever it was out there in internet land and it will happen all over again! We have a system now that only goes to paypal and USPS. If anyone is caught trying to surf the web or if anything ends up in the history folder other than those two locations, the camera monitoring that pc will show us which employee and they will be fired instantly, the pc formated to brand new again, and we start again. It's sad we have to take this out on employees that don't listen, since most do but we have had 2 people that got terminated, just because some scumbags are trying to get free postage. They also do it for no more money then 49 dollars if you are a company and 25-29 dollars if you are a small individual. They know your shipping habits once they gain access. That's my two sense on it and that's what we learned directly from someone at paypal that felt about as bad as we did about it!

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 1 11:40:58 2012

I've been selling on eBay for a little over three years and never ONCE considered using eBay to ship. I have always used Stamps.com and have never experienced any issues.  eBay takes enough of my hard earned money. And then they want me to use them so their name is plastered on the shipping label as free advertising?? I don't think so.

by: mrsc5inla This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 1 14:05:20 2012

I refuse to use eBay or PayPal to print shipping labels.

I refuse to jump thru any more hoops for either of them especially when there is a problem with their system(s).

Been using Stamps.com for the past two years and if there is a problem, they resolve it ASAP.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 2 01:05:58 2012

Never used ebay OR PreyPal to print ANY postage.

Never have and never will.

Don't use Stamps.com either despite the Tech Guy trying nightly to entice me to with the "free" scale offer.

Nope.

Paid for my own scale--under $20----and I use the POST OFFICE to ship my POSTAL MAIL.  Even tho I live in a very rural location I still pass by several post office's in the course of a week and I stop at which ever one is handy.

And oddly enough some are better at handling some items (out of country;  large bulky items) than others!  So I make my "rounds" accordingly.

Now I know this will not be possible for all others to do but I ALSO feel I am supporting the local people who WORK at our LOCAL Post Offices and DEPEND on these jobs to feed their families.

Have they been talking about closing YOUR Post Office?  Did you know---a minimum of a $25,000 PAYOUT to the Postal Employee to agree to LEAVE quietly is being paid out---

Now WHERE did THAT money come from?  Thought they were going BROKE and HAD NO MONEY.

Multiply the number of Post Offices that the PO wants to close by that $25,000 and UP figure times how many employees in EACH Office and the sum is STAGGERING.

Many many questions on THAT topic and no one is talking about it.

But ebay stealing revenue from these people is once again a way for them to screw the small folk.