Sat Sept 11 2021 16:27:33

Seller Who Fought Fakes Shattered by Treatment from eBay

By: Reader

I've been selling since the start, I was in on the Alpha eBay, spoke to Pierre on several occasions, so I've been here the whole time.

I sell many things, but one of them is US Coins. Also I've fought for decades all the fakes on eBay. I used to have my own contact person in the President's office and I would feed him all the fakes. Submitted a lot of them to counterfeitreport.com. So imagine my surprise today when three auctions for US Silver coins were removed as "replicas".

I called them, big mistake. That led to some horrible person at eBay taking it upon himself to review ALL my over 200 auctions right now while he asked me to wait. Took over 30 minutes, he'd come back on every so often and assure me he was still working.

He said he didn't find anything wrong. I asked him why he took it upon himself to review all my auctions, he refused to say.

I asked to speak to someone in the policies department (or whatever it's called nowadays) to explain to them they took down my auctions in error. Of course he wouldn't let me talk to anyone else. He just kept re-reading something about "Replica bullions or coins".

You know, it just hurt me so much after all these years of fighting, and totally failing, to stop all the fakes on eBay, and here they are wrongfully convicting me of selling replicas.

I have 6 accounts I use, all linked and allowed. He checked the auctions of all of them. He treated me like I was a criminal, some damn punk kid in the Philippines. It's hurtful. So many times I've been through nightmares with eBay. I've won every case I've ever had. But this one today, even though it's a minor issue, it just hurt and it's very stressful. eBay = stressful and for no good reason. It's STILL a horribly run big corporation that doesn't care about the people, buyers, sellers and employees, at all. Not sure you can use any of this but I used to love eBay, and now I've come to truly hate eBay.
Tom

Perminate Link for Seller Who Fought Fakes Shattered by Treatment fro   Seller Who Fought Fakes Shattered by Treatment fro

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 11 18:41:45 2021

Coins are such a niche market that surely there has to be other sites out there that can compete with eBay. Sellers need to learn to leave eBay

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Sep 11 22:14:50 2021

@Tom (the OP) - Check out this article:

ins-online

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 13 02:13:24 2021

Tom

Are you expecting every CSR to know who you are and your history of working with Ebay on certain subjects.  If you do, that is an unrealistic expectation.  I'm not trying to dismiss the value of the work you did with Ebay.  I'm simply talking with you about the reality of the situation.  There is no way for a regular CSR to even have access to that information.

by: christy s This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 03:00:44 2021

yup- been there, done that!

by: Stickyunit2 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 08:21:20 2021

Yeah, this is a common way ebay handles this and many other problems. Ebay typically has no interest in following its own TOS, but they can't say that. So, when you try to press them to correct problems, you'll often receive a response that is a veiled threat. By going over your listing, he is implying there will be retaliation if you actually make them correct the mistake. I'd advise not talking to them at all. Almost all listing I've had removed have been incorrect.  Just resist the item and move on.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 10:21:56 2021

Tom, you did it wrong from the beginning, you should have become a paid shill on eBay's forum and other online platforms, then all of eBay's CS would know who you are and protect you from anything on their site.

by: Mango This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 10:29:55 2021

"I have 6 accounts I use, all linked..."

How does one link eBay accounts?

by: trader_chris This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 10:47:02 2021

A long time ago, I came to the realization that sometimes, things just weren't going to always go my way selling on eBay. As much as the company and some of the buyers can drive you crazy sometimes, you can still make a pretty decent living working out of your home, you don't have to worry about maintaining a huge inventory all the time, keeping regular store hours, dealing with flaky customers in person, or the myriad of other problems that retail stores have to put up with. The occasional hassle is simply the cost of doing business online. If you're a longtime seller and haven't come to that same conclusion yet, maybe you should find a different line of work...

by: Valaset This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 10:52:20 2021

@Tom

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with customer service.  But I would tell you not to make rash judgements about EBAY based on one person who clearly did not know what they were doing.  I would have called back and found someone else to talk to.

by: zvicki This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 14:02:36 2021

I just wanted to say: Hang Up, get someone else that knows WTH they are talking about on the line instead!
You are beyond patient, letting some punk kid treat you as a suspect! I'd of told him off in a quick second!
Bless you anyways, hoping things improve for you.

by: kevindsm This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 14:47:04 2021

Sounds like this agent decided if he was going to handle a question, he was going to have a fishing expedition.  With eBay, it is never about the sellers, even though the sellers pay the bills by paying the fees.

by: 4yourinfo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 16:18:32 2021

I'm amazed after all these years it's your first time getting insulted by one of the customer service reps. You can give ebay thousands of dollars a month don't expect any special treatment the agents have their own agendas and it's a hopeless battle that you just have to avoid getting into. I've been selling for like 5 years giving them a ton of money I get treated like I never made a sale...

by: BackOff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 23:27:41 2021

This isn’t surprising. Ebay blocked me on their official Instagram when I informed them that a US seller was hawking terrorist materials and antisemitic flags. Only a few blogs had the courage to publish my story:
-to-person-who-complained-about-hizbullah-items-being-sold/

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 14 11:27:43 2021

“ The occasional hassle is simply the cost of doing business online. If you're a longtime seller and haven't come to that same conclusion yet, maybe you should find a different line of work...”

This issue, along with the countless others that constitute “the occasional hassle” isn’t about what an on-line seller should be prepared to absorb as CODB. Those things are intrinsic to the industry.

This is about how those sellers (this one for example) are treated as eBay’s customers themselves.  For which there should BE no hassle-related ‘surcharges’.

That treatment, backed by evidence across those countless descriptions of said “hassles”, resolves to requiring a compulsory tolerance for eBay’s demonstrated dishonesty, gross operational and customer support incompetence, hypocrisy, inventory manipulation, unfair and unethical economic disadvantage, micromanagement, improper withholding of funds bordering on criminal theft, complicity to fraud, lack of due process, intimidation and retaliation.

And many of those factors are pretty clearly indicated in the OP’s complaint.  They are not an account, or a source, they’re a client.

Seems as if anybody should be seeking “..a different lie of work”, it should be eBay.  Because the CODB with them - on top of what any reasonably ‘seasoned’ seller should expect - will eventually send everybody to the seek life elsewhere queue.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 14 12:04:55 2021

“ Are you expecting every CSR to know who you are and your history of working with Ebay on certain subjects.  If you do, that is an unrealistic expectation.”

Are there really no means imaginable of annotating a seller’s experience base and contact history summary that could be made visible to ANY CSR - and no means imaginable that a CSR would be trained to review that history presented ‘at-a-glance’ at minimum, that would have made it more realistic to expect better customer ‘service’ from a self appointed world class IT anchored enterprise?

Not for eBay it seems.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 14 14:09:23 2021

Firstly, I see you and raise you one on Mercari (eBay comes later on in this reply) ....

I was the BUYER (shocking I know) of a Casio G-Shock watch on Mercari.

I received a FAKE item. Fake because the items back plate was wrong, the packaging was wrong, the instruction book was in Chinese (Casio Japan NEVER EVER prints Chinese in manuals and on the back of a manual) and more.

Mercari made me submit 20 + photos and LONG explanations, had to go through 6+ emails and FINALLY I was refunded.

The seller of course is still there selling fake watches, with Mercari smiling all the way to the bank.

Now back to this issue and eBay.

Being someone who has been accused of selling fakes (damn those original manufacturers invoices!) and having to deal with the mentally incapacitated CS people and the criminals over at VERO - I have first hand experience with dealing with the San Jose mafia.

A certain persons "advise" about eBay CS agents not knowing your history is ... mildly exaggerated - as your history is attached to your user name.

When I call - they all know me too well. My ENTIRE history is there - I know 'cause they read it back to me". They know how many times Ive called, who Ive spoken to , and all my entanglements. Am I special ? hardly. Am I enemy #1 - maybe.

You also have to remember that virtually NO ONE on eBay knows anything about online selling. They dont understand the horrors or what people here seem to think is simply the cost of doing business a multi-billion dollar company can do to you if they so choose.

Most of us - unlike some here try to MINIMIZE those costs - we just dont absorb them and say "OK it happens".

eBay wont change - you can have 6 counts or 60, doesnt matter.

eBay does what it wants, it lies cheats and steals - all while conning Wall Street into thinking theres platform growth. The stock goes up, the bonus's go up and all that count are happy - truth be damned.

Thats why people like myself call eBay the San Jose Mafia - plain and simple