Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Jan 18 2023 16:03:11

eBay Says It Bears All Responsibility for EIS Shipments

Sellers have questions as eBay transitions more of them from its Global Shipping Program (GSP) to the new eBay International Shipping program, known as EIS (which is not to be confused with eBay International Standard Delivery).

In a thread on the eBay discussion boards, a seller said all of their active listings had changed to offering international shipping through EIS, "including things that I would never want to ship overseas such as very fragile, large, or high value items!"

The seller said the only way they found to turn it off for a specific listing was to open the Excluded Countries page in the listing and check off every single country that was not excluded, which was time-consuming.

The seller explained, "I had a tea set listed that could take up to 3 boxes to pack - I would never want to ship it internationally - the auction for it just ended and I noticed that it has international shipping on it now, which I had definitely turned off when I originally listed it. I guess I'm going to have to opt out of international shipping until this is changed. Too scary for me."

A seller immediately replied with advice to use shipping policies. "Since the roll out of the new listing tool eBay wants sellers to utilize shipping polices," they said. "So in order to change your shipping preferences they need to be changed in shipping polices. You should create a shipping policy for the heavy items you don't want to ship internationally."

An eBay moderator joined the conversation (without commenting on that advice) but answering a question from another seller about how the EIS program handled certain fees imposed by countries like Germany and its recycling/packing fees.

He responded as follows:

"That's a great question. As part of eBay International Shipping, we will assume all responsibilities associated with the export of your item. This means eBay will be responsible for filing all documentation and complying with US export regulations on your behalf. We also will be covering sellers on the Germany packaging act, so sellers will not be required to provide a Lucid ID.

"I also ran this question by one of our colleagues on the shipping team and here was their response:

""The recycling/packaging fees are related to the Germany packaging act so it is correct that EIS handles those.  The seller is not responsible for anything that happens or is required after proper delivery to the shipping hub.""

In a story on Monday, we highlighted eBay's international shipping programs (it actually has three) with a chart eBay published comparing the features of each.

If you're one of the sellers who has already been migrated from eBay's Global Shipping Program to the new eBay International Shipping program, let us know your experience and if you have any questions that need answering. Are there things you miss about GSP, or things you like about EIS?

Perminate Link for eBay Says It Bears All Responsibility for EIS Shipments   eBay Says It Bears All Responsibility for EIS Shipments

by: GetAGrip This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 18 18:05:33 2023

Yea right. Its the fine print that causes all of the problems. Ebay loves fine print. Its their way out of sticky refunds.

This user has validated their user name. by: COVID-19

Wed Jan 18 20:52:57 2023

Sounds like a big headache. No thank you!

by: Gumball This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 19 00:34:39 2023

Shipping large and fragile items just cannot be done. The cost is too high and I doubt many pieces are ever delivered without breakage as Ebay's shipping center unpacks and removes packing material. Then shoves the item(s) back in the box or a padded envelope or bag to lighten weight. Nightmare for sellers as they will be held responsible for that damage, the lack of packing and shipping care, the shipping costs, and the refund. Then much to their dismay, they will get dinged for the negative given by the buyer who has no way of knowing it was the not the seller that caused the damage.

by: Nonesuch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 19 01:06:31 2023

''As part of eBay International Shipping, we will assume all responsibilities associated with the export of your item.''

''All responsibilities''?   That's quite a statement.  So when a foreign buyer claims non receipt, Ebay will swallow the entire refund itself and not extract the funds from me?  I'll believe that when / if I ever see it.  And I am pretty sure I never will.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 19 02:37:43 2023

"I had a tea set listed that could take up to 3 boxes to pack"
^^This must have been one helluva tea set.

by: Marty2020 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 19 07:03:36 2023

They take all responsibilities and then what? I don't trust ebay at all.  If they had an automated process whereby I would automatically get refunded, perhaps I would try. Otherwise, no way. I sell around 350 orders internationally (fortunately, nothing complicated—something like photographs) old fashion way, via Pirateship. Their partnership with Asendia is outstanding. Fast delivery, and 99% delivery confirmation, and problemless insurance.

As one other mentioned, change the setting in Shipping preferences at:

by: Mr. Doc This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 19 07:52:14 2023

I have been transitioned into this program and the biggest issue is the one
described in the article where all listings are opted in.  I also have heavy items which I do not wish to sell outside the US.  I'm opting out until this is clarified or I have time to figure out how to deal with this.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 19 21:46:33 2023

All responsibility? So what happened when the buyer wants to return the item? Who pays the return shipping? How does an American seller purchase a return label from England, Germany or Japan? No way this has been thought out by eBay, they have never introduced anything smoothly ever.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jan 20 01:43:28 2023

Ebay pays return shipping.

eller/terms/

by: ZombieComponents This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 20 02:37:50 2023

The biggest problems with ebay shipping is time and lost boxes. They take too long and they lose too many.

40% of my business is export. The documentation is actually quite easy. There are only a couple of forms that include a POA so the carrier can file on your behalf, a couple copies of the invoice with a few added notes like "used", "made in the wherever", "incoterms: ex works" and the harmonized code and any licensing exceptions (only apply if your sale is over $2500.) on the shippers export declaration

I could walk anyone through it in 5 minuets ... feel free to contact me

next buy some double walled bozes from uline and some instapak quick rt.  and some spray glue adhesive for the boxes. Anything you are shipping will surive the journey, even crystal or china. Also tape on two additional address labels to the boxes incase they get separated from their paperwork

I ship a lot of inexpensive items as well as oders that are in the tens of thousands of dollars.  Exporting really starts to be worth it once you start exceeding $100 in value. Then its worth your time and your time is maybe 5 minutes extra on the paperwork

Shipstation recently negotiated a rate plan with ups that is actualy cheaper than ebays option in many cases. I sent a package to israel today, it will get there monday, it was only $35 through shipstation

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 21 12:11:24 2023

The max length for EIS is 27". I sell golf clubs...ALL are over 27".
What's the 1st autochecked option when I go to print an intl label?
EIS...even though eBay KNOWS my box dimensions.
What happens if I blindly click OK?
More eBay lunacy.

by: Allen1853 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 23 23:01:28 2023

You cannot trust ANYTHING anyone at eBay says, especially these moderators on the Selling Community Board. When you call them on any such promises or bold misrepresentsations they just claim they will "discipline" whoever said that.

by: Real Patriot? This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 25 16:30:40 2023

I opted out of the 'Global Shipping' program years ago when a buyer left negative positive feedback, saying my shipping charges were too high. My shipping charges were actually lower than the norm. Big surprise, Feebay over-charged my buyer for the international shipping. Corporate greed at it's finest!