Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu July 14 2022 10:50:33

eBay Open Announcement on Facebook Brings Harsh Reality Check

It's hard to imagine eBay executives think everything is fine and dandy for customers selling on the platform given the decline in sales and buyer growth. But if some executives are in denial, they need only go to its eBay for Business Facebook page for a reality check.

eBay is losing control of the message on Facebook as evidenced by its recent post announcing the upcoming eBay Open seller conference to be held virtually in September.

Mercari is way better than right now, one seller posted. "After eBay did updates and changed all the view counts it pretty much sucks over there."

eBay paid to promote the post so it would appear in Facebook users' feeds, which made the volume of negative posts more notable - and the fact the sellers posted using their names.

eBay's announcement featured a graphic for the eBay Open Conference, using confetti to convey excitement:

"We are BEYOND thrilled to announce the return of the biggest seller event of the year.

"Read our official announcement on eBay Open 2022—including details about this year’s exciting, virtual and in-person hybrid format. Registration opens July 20!"

The comments on the post were riddled with users complaining about slow sales, pining for the eBay Live conventions of old, or making announcements of their own: they were closing down their eBay sales and moving on. Among the negative comments on the eBay Facebook post were the following:

Jimmy Thornhill
Selling for 20+ years...I have absolutely no confidence in eBay. It's like you've developed a culture of, let's do whatever will run sellers away; how many hoops can we make a seller jump through to get an actual sell. Frankly, I'm tired of the hoops. Other platforms are coming along very well and I will soon be like many who once enjoyed selling on eBay, but will leave.

Jean Winn Mosteller
I loved going to ebay conventions. They slowly went down hill just like ebay.

Dean Hite
Ebay is a sinking ship been here since 1996 most changes you make hurts sellers!! The time invested jumping through hoops to sell is getting pointless. Marketplace will be the new ebay time will tell.

Paul Smith
We need to start organizing a vote of no confidence on all upper management at e bay.

Barb Callahan
The reduction of categories and addition of item specifics really hurt business, IMO. The categories are so broad that you needed item specifics to filter. BUT, so many of the specifics are nonsensical. It you sell vintage jewelry, there are several specifics about diamonds, most of which are irrelevant if you have “costume” jewelry. Vintage Lighting asks about energy ratings which didn’t exist for the vintage lighting you’re selling. It takes forever to fill in the specifics!

Ralph Deering
So it's not really about who creates the best description, title or pictures in ads anymore. So many hoops I've jumped thru over the years. Instead you tell everyone to use promoted listings and whomever gives you a higher percentage of the sale can be seen first in the search results. Why don't you just call yourself amazon and get yourselves some warehouses and sell your own stuff. Guess it's time to check out the competitors.

Interestingly, eBay made the same announcement on its own discussion board, but the post was closed to comments.

The eBay Open announcement on Facebook may have been a little more "open" than the company had anticipated. But maybe eBay executives need a harsh reality check.

Perminate Link for eBay Open Announcement on Facebook Brings Harsh Reality Check   eBay Open Announcement on Facebook Brings Harsh Reality Check

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jul 14 11:39:42 2022

Sellers have been complaining since JD took over and implemented all his anti-small seller rules. eBay (collectively) didn't listen then, so why should they listen now? After all, we're all just "noise" to them. Didn't one of the executives state that for every seller who left, ten more were waiting to start selling?

by: Ubiquitous Salmon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 12:12:01 2022

Don't worry--they'll find a way to sanitize those Facebook comments, just like they do on eBay's community website.

by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 12:24:38 2022

I took one look at the locations and I was disgusted. I live in the NKY (Cincinnati area) and a little over 71 million people live within 350 miles of here or 1/5 of the population of the United States. Instead they want me to travel, nearest is 650 miles (NY), next is over 1200 miles (Austin) and of course the West Coast. Unless you live on the coasts they basically said screw middle America.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jul 14 13:26:33 2022

"the eBay Live conventions of old"

Didn't they stop having those because the presenters were getting an ear full?

It seems like every move they make is self destructive.  When you think back on the good old days of selling on eBay and how happy sellers were and you compare that to today it is the complete opposite.  As far as I am concerned John Donahoe started the downhills spiral but every CEO since then has simply doubled down on it.   Not one of them choose to grasp what the secret saucer of eBay once was.  You remember....the platform where you could find "it".

by: BackOff This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 15:43:04 2022

I wonder how many people ebay will ban or block on Facebook. They did it to me on Instagram when I tried reporting illegal, foreign terrorist items that were being sold on their platform. I reported the illegal items for 6 months! Then I posted a comment on ebay's official Instagram page but they blocked my account. Several online blogs picked up my story, but for some reason Ecommercebytes didn't want to publish it. When blogs and websites picked up the story, readers complained on Facebook and elsewhere. Within days, the offending items were removed as was the seller. Two links below:
1 - https://www.israellycool.com/2021/06/23/ebay-removes-hizbullah-items-b
ut/

- https://www.israellycool.com/2021/06/21/ebays-disgraceful-response-to-
person-who-complained-about-hizbullah-items-being-sold/

by: terry55 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 16:12:23 2022

Haha I got block when I to wanted to know what they were doing about the USPS surcharges and called them out with the BS story they get the best shipping rates

by: Amberlin This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 18:36:53 2022

Boy, how I wish I could jump into that conversation and give them a piece of my mind after selling on their site for 23 years.

But I won't do it with my real name.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 14 18:55:09 2022

Listen, "Ebay",
GIVE US THE WHEEL.
We know what to do and YOU DON'T.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 20:05:45 2022

terry55,

I too got blocked on Facebook when I pointed out the great shipping rates a tiny company like Mercari can provide, while the behemoth eBay can't seem to use its volume to leverage better prices for its sellers. Of course they probably get great rates from all shippers, but refuse to pass any of that along to their sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Jul 14 21:02:37 2022

Can't wait until the day comes when the question is asked...."What was eBay?"

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 21:48:01 2022

5% fee on JUST the item...seems like centuries ago.
Maybe they need an Old-Timers Day...every day.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 21:58:44 2022

eBay seems to AVOID the obvious, correct solutions.
The mental problems go deep.

by: Amberlin This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 15 06:34:16 2022

Seriously? They are BLOCKING people??

How F-ing CHILDISH!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jul 15 13:03:18 2022

"Of course they probably get great rates from all shippers, but refuse to pass any of that along to their sellers."

I feel pretty strongly that this is a factual statement.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 15 13:46:26 2022

Clearly eBay is NOT “BEYOND thrilled” about the reaction from their ‘labor force’ to eBay’s annual dog and pony pretend to care-athon. What else could it be? They don’t need you, they won’t heed you.

They can hit the mute button, but turning their backs to the forest doesn’t keep the trees erect.  And a dead forest leads to firewood, then to ashes.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 15 14:18:43 2022

Went to the 2019 Open, it was great.  Was really looking forward to 2020 but they cancelled it (pre-Covid- they simply weren't having it any longer in Vegas- as I recall they were going to have some sort of one-day events at various venues around the country).  Great excuse for a trip to Vegas and I did learn quite a bit.  Let's bring that back- a three day event instead of short events on the coasts.  I'm sure it's difficult to pull off but it isn't like Vegas isn't used to hosting conventions.  Most people whom I've spoken with that attended the opens in the past would love to attend another one- bring them back the classic way!  (An aside, I note someone above was referencing people complaining after JD got in.  Trust me, Meg couldn't do anything right in the day per the boards- anyone who doesn't remember the vitriol hurled at her reign is practicing revisionist history).

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 15 17:16:02 2022

They know very well how deep the dissatisfaction runs. Ebay must work in partnership with sellers. There post meg whitman era of trying to profit from turning buyers on sellers has never showed a modicum of success.

As a seller of premium products I can say that there are now many alternatives for me and I am avidly pursuing them. The nickel and diming has not made me a more profitable customer to them.

The part of this that is truly sad is that I have a pretty big footprint and I am great to my buyers and they are great to me. My only obstacle is that ebay just won't get out of my way!

Newsflash....buyers don't want the generic garbage that are littering the sponsored listing slots just because the seller has a huge markup on trash they can afford to promote for an extra 10%. Buys don't search for Gucci and buy generic flea market suede. Unfortunately the Gucci sellers aren't going to have the room to offer autunitic product at a 10% sponsored fee on top of FVF. When the buyer sees the flea market trash then they go to therealreal and make their purchase.

Also just a heads up to the ebay crew that will never bother to read this. Most sellers still don't understand managed payments processing time and are waiting for the funds to go to their bank before shipping. I like to use ebay to buy still and I just can't do it anymore because no one will ship my items.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 15 18:58:58 2022

"People commented on the post openly expressed their dissatisfaction with what they say eBay has become and the drop in sales they've experienced."

The emperor STILL doesnt have new clothes

As a business, I understand that theres a constant need for new revenue, a constant need to be doing and trying NEW things, new ideas to try and new functions to take on - but eBay 2022 has become the symbol of biting the hand that feeds you.

Not one of their many "innovations" has been good for sellers, not one, and so sales and buyers go down.

Theres nothing to buy if you chase away good sellers. Buyers know where to go. People talk, rumors spread - the crowd goes where the action is, but eBay pretends none of this exists.

We can run our sellers INTO THE GROUND and it doesnt matter cause 1) they have no other better choice 2) theres always MORE to fill that void.

THAT BS - has come home to roost.

Yes, eBay is huge, yes even during "lean times" - eBay rakes in the $$$ - but when you stock drops by almost %50 - you'de better do something QUICK!

eBays cs stinks, eBays policies stink, its management are basically useless tu_ds, and they do almost anything to NOT help you - even when they KNOW you are right .... so what does this say about you as a company?

Why would I go to eBayUseless ?? I can be ripped off from HERE for free!

"You need to promote your listings" ....ummm no thank you
"You need better listings" ....complete specs and 4+ pics arent enough?
"You need unlimited/30 day returns" ..... umm no Im not a rental agency

thats eBayClosed in a nuteshell

Would I meet other nice sellers? Sure - but Id rather go to NYNOW or similar - its more local and maybe I can find something to SELL on eBay !

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Jul 16 09:20:50 2022

Well,
In the Big Picture,
It appears there's an orchestrated move to put individual online artists and sellers out of business. It's like they want to coral us over to Shopify, or some other place they can effect us en mass.
Communism loves this idea.
Freedom loving people will reject it out of hand.
Doesn't bode well.......

by: Fried Chicken Addiction This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 18 01:13:07 2022

I am going on month 8, no eBay purchases and no listings. My former eBay collectors and buyers come to me privately now just on my blog and Instagram. I was an eBay buyer and seller since 1998. They lost a ton of money with me due to the constant tweaking, changing, then managed payments then the growing trend of credit card chargebacks . The Biden American Rescue stupidity didn't help much either though. I really miss 2005 eBay. Bring that back and we'll talk.