Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu May 19 2022 15:16:47

eBay Moves Listings to New Categories with Latest Changes

eBay reminded sellers on Wednesday it would begin rolling out category changes May 18th. That means sellers must check to see if eBay moved any of their listings into new categories, in which case they may have to make edits, including to product attributes, aka Item Specifics.

eBay had announced the category changes in its most recent Seller Update.

eBay acknowledged in yesterday's post the disruption the change would cause sellers when it explained, "During this transition, your listing experience could be temporarily impacted, as well as the visibility of your listings.  You may notice some item specifics changing names, listings moved to different categories, or some listings temporarily not appearing in searches."

And the disruption could last weeks: "Any affected listings should return to normal within a week, though some effects to listings' visibility in searches may continue for up to three weeks."

"We understand these updates will take extra time and may cause some frustration," eBay said, "but our goal is to help you increase your listings' visibility and sales."

An eBay moderator later elaborated: "They said that updates are prioritized via business impact to the user, so the majority of changes will be supported in the first week. The 3 week estimate is a worst case scenario and not expected to take that long for the vast majority of users."

Categories that are impacted by the latest category changes include the following:

Business & Industrial (Sinks)
Collectibles & Toys
Electronics (Cameras)
Health & Beauty (Covid tests)
Home & Garden
Parts & Accessories (Wheels & Tires)
Sporting Goods (Golf & Cycling)
Watches

One seller warned others to check to see if listings eBay moved to new categories would incur higher fees.

Another seller reminded colleagues to check to see if the category changes would cause eBay to start wrongly charge them Gallery Plus fees as it had in a previous category update.

Other bugs and glitches have impacted previous category change rollouts, prompting one seller to write, "Here we go again! Everytime they mess with Item specifics everything goes haywire."

Sellers also discussed the changes on the eBay for Business Facebook page.

Perminate Link for eBay Moves Listings to New Categories with Latest Changes   eBay Moves Listings to New Categories with Latest Changes

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri May 20 03:31:11 2022

Could it be these category changes are meant to align with other platforms for fast  transfer of listing information ?

by: toastedmutt This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 20 10:44:12 2022

Readers here might want to read and add to the myriad posts by sellers to the eBay Selling community board post.

Oh, and if you feel your sales are down you've been invited to add your ID to the growing list inside that eBay post.

Fun and games folks, fun and games.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri May 20 14:02:22 2022

I've wondered for a long time if they are cleaning and re-arranging the house for a sale to Amazon or some other company.   Of course with Amazon's on-going gating of categories and the inability to sell pre-owned items that is doubtful unless Amazon were to buy eBay to run it as a separate business.

I am sure that the eBay C-suite would love to sell eBay and make a king's ransom.  They don't appear to have any loyalty to the sellers or the platform.  They have a whole lot of loyalty to Wall Street however.

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 22 23:30:56 2022

Rexford,

IMO if anyone would be considering eBay for purchase, I suspect it would be Wal-Mart, Jamie Ianone's alma mater.

Wal-Mart's own e-commerce seldom seems to come up in discussions of alternative venues (as does Mercari, Poshmark, eCrater, et al), and Ianone clearly has the ear of his former employer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the continued decline in eBay, not only in its stock price but in seller and buyer defections, was intentional, to get eBay to appear more tempting to a buyer - and a buyer who doesn't want to spend the 10 billion market cap price.  Moving the stock down just a few points can save billions.

And Wally seems to be thriving in the brick-and-mortar arena, so e-commerce would be a nice plum, as their own e-commerce efforts haven't resulted in stellar returns.

Just a thought, as I''m no CFO nor do I play one on TV.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 00:18:26 2022

Although not part of this update, I researched some of the categories that I sell in.  Many of my listings used to be part of the Pottery and Glass category - which is now lumped into the home & garden category rather than my preferred collectible category.  I can see I will be doing some mass edits in the next few days.  It may help to explain why my sales have been off by 30%.  I can't even find my old pottery and glass categories.  There are existing listings from other sellers that are still in them, but when I try to list in a similar category it doesn't come up for me.
Home & Garden
Home D├ęcor
Pottery & Glass
Decorative Pottery & Glassware

by: Fried Chicken Addiction This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 01:13:42 2022

Getting these news letters as well as watching the myriad of poor naive souls on Youtube blabbing about Ebay this, peddling, peddling and Ebay that has become quit the anticipated source of entertainment for me-Thank You.
I quit on January 1st 2022 after being an Ebay seller and buyer since 1998. Eventaully they even threatend me and restricted my accounts months after I quit because I wouldn't give them my information including my recent personal bank transactions, ID, home address and I'm sure my pants size If they felt like needing to know it.
I was already long gone and just laugh at Ebays constant threating emails from their caring and loving robots.
I grin at the balls they think they have. For four decades I bought and sold never a problem. I made Ebay hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Now I just sit back and watch this once ocean dwindle down to a pond and all the little fishys gurgling and struggling for air. And there is Ebay watching it all happen, evaporating in front of their eyes.
They know it, just like the few people in this country that know it aint abortion that is the issue, it aint inflation, it aint baby formula.
Lake Mead, lake Powell is drying up and they aint saying squat about it on any news networks.
You got to dig.
If you dig down deep in the trenches of Ebay, if know employees or former ones....many, many former ones, you will know. You will very much know.
The ship is sinking. It didn't have to happen, they let moles in....it's sinking though.
I have to laugh, they are gtting what they deserve. Greedbay happened and they let in the wrong executives.
They let Amazon moles in and they slit the comanies through when they thought they were getting a nice shave. From the inside out like the old Trojan Horse.
Think about, besides Elon Musk, don't like Twitter, just buy it or tear it apart as the majority owner. Who is the richest man in the world who gets what he wants when all he does is sell crap online? He can fly to the moon and he can surely kill any competition slowly like a long cancerous death.
He's bald-headed and he owns the Washington Post and he owns many many people on Capitol Hill, the very same people that slipped that $600 threshold in Bidens Covid Relief Package.
Just keep on watching and Thanks again for these glorious news letters!

by: Fried Chicken Addiction This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 01:19:40 2022

Sorry about my typos up above here.Can you edit your posts? Doesn't matter... I was saying they slit the companies (ebay) throat...

by: Dragonfyree This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 07:32:20 2022

Just glad books aren't involved.  Last time they did that was a nightmare.

by: wrslss1222 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 09:35:26 2022

It's really pathetic when sales are down eBay makes changes to ensure lower sales.  It's amazing how eBay employees with little to no experience selling on eBay can authorize these ridiculous changes.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 11:11:55 2022

@Dragonfyree

amen!  though it feels like they did something this month, sales have been way way down.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 20:22:00 2022

With ebay what can go wrong??