Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 26 2021 20:32:12

eBay Glitch Sabotages Sellers' Offers to Buyers

Imagine sending an offer to eBay buyers to entice them to purchase your items at a discount, only to have a warning included in the message that states you won't ship to their location.

A reader had reported the problem in a letter to the editor published on EcommerceBytes in March ("eBay Randomly Tells Buyers Seller Does Not Ship to Their Location").

There's now a growing buzz about the glitch thanks to more sellers becoming aware of the issue and speaking out publicly, including posts on the eBay for Business Facebook page.

Don Heiden, who posts content on YouTube under the moniker the Auction Professor (and who contributes a monthly column to EcommerceBytes) has been beating the drum about the issue in an effort to get eBay to address it. He discovered that the offers that buyers received from him included the line, "Item does not ship to you."

"The problem is that many people will not message a seller when they see they don't ship to them, but will simple go elsewhere," Heiden told us.

The only reason he found out about the glitch was because he was receiving requests from buyers asking if he would ship to them. "All of those buyers were in the US, which I always ship to. I originally thought it was a small issue, but the amount of sellers that keep posting, emailing, and messaging me has grown to several hundreds."

eBay began testing the Seller Initiated Offers feature, which it also calls "Offers to Buyers," in 2018, and officially launched it in 2019. By December of 2020, eBay called it a resounding success, saying Offer to Buyers had surpassed $1 billion in gross merchandise volume (GMV) in the first 11 months of the year (2020).

Oddly, the "seller does not ship to your location" glitch is a chronic problem that has mystified sellers for years. For example, we documented the problem when it impacted bidders in 2014 ("eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding"), writing at the time: "Buyers are being blocked from bidding or purchasing items on eBay due to a glitch that states "The seller does not ship to your location.""

The current glitch is frustrating to sellers who wonder how many buyers would have responded to offers if they hadn't been told told the seller wouldn't ship to them. "What I want to know is how many people have I sent an offer to that got the same message and simply didn't bother to contact me," a seller asked on the eBay discussion boards. "How many just go on to the next thing?"

So far, we haven't seen any reports from sellers that eBay has satisfactorily addressed their concerns or fixed the problem.

Perminate Link for eBay Glitch Sabotages Sellers' Offers to Buyers   eBay Glitch Sabotages Sellers' Offers to Buyers

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 00:10:11 2021

Thanks, eBay. You never cease to amaze with your technical problems and glitches. Simply hiring better programmers and staff is beyond your ken.

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 00:13:28 2021

Ebay has had a LOT of problems with their Shipping Exclusion system as well; we were getting orders from locations we DON'T ship to (primarily because FULL USPS tracking isn't available from the foreign country), which is a problem since the people BOUGHT and PAID for the item(s) and eBay never blocked them despite our Exclusions being set to do so.

Since a lot of countries paused their tracking due to COVID-19, and a lot of buyers used that as an excuse to scam sellers (claiming INR when no tracking was available), we stopped shipping to most countries outside the U.S.

So it really isn't a surprise that eBay's having trouble with this part of their sytstem; since their overseas programmers have nothing for "Version Control" of the source code, they're well-known for picking code to "fix" or modify that later turns out to have existing bugs - they they've already "fixed" previously - still in it.  The result is that they re-introduce previous bugs in the production system (I don't think they even have a TEST system either).

Ebay has become its own worst enemy; if it isn't by coming up with ridiculous ideas that will harm sellers and push them away from using eBay, it's the repeated appearance of the same bugs every six months!

by: Disgusted This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 03:26:08 2021

Constant problems. One glitch after another.  It almost appears that ebay is in a self destructive mode.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 05:33:57 2021

All these glitches are hurting the little seller.  Ebay doesn't address the problem, it hardly knows the problems exist.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 05:36:48 2021

What about charging the credit card  the buyer when the offer is accepted?  When is EB going to do that?
I did a SOLDS count, how many solds I had across platforms.  And all 4:  Merc, EB, AMZ, Posh, are the same count.  So it's getting more and more that I don't need EB as a main platform.  The others are doing as well and better than EB.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 10:07:22 2021

Yep. That happened to me too....I called eBay after the second person told me this had happened and the CSR told me there was something wrong with the buyer's account and I needed to have them call.

by: Chel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 10:59:58 2021

This happened to me recently as a buyer when trying to make an offer on some items. Now I'm wondering if that's happening to me as a seller because I am not making hardly any sales & I'm active on eBay daily & heading toward 500 items & I have a store subscription that is barely getting paid lately. I think if somehow one can get over the hump to start to make a lot of sales in a short period of time then the platform algorithms will favor you but otherwise, one can get lost in this sea of sellers.

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 11:15:47 2021

Oh, so that's what that message means!  The ones I've received say ''doesn't ship to you''.  not ''your location''.  So I've always figured it's a glitch and ignored it.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 13:26:11 2021

I often send several offers to buyers per day. I send the offers manually so I can pick and choose which items to send offers on as well as the price or amount of discount.

I haven't had any potential buyers tell me that they got a message that I wouldn't ship to them, however last week one customer messaged me and asked if I would take $X for an item. I had extended some offers on this item and her offer was in the range of what I would accept so I sold it to her, but I don't know if she had received an offer.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 14:29:11 2021

If you use the Best Offer feature, It is also happening when the buyer attempts to make an offer. Happened to me recently.  I wrote to the seller and he just fixed the price in the listing folding in the shipping and I was able to make a straight purchase.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 28 08:28:32 2021

Well they’re not entirely wrong here.  eBay themselves doesn’t ship to ANY location, so….

by: source This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 29 01:51:14 2021

That's not a glitch, that's another one of ebay's "features" used to punish certain sellers and elevate competitors, to depress sales of certain products or entire categories or to depress sales to certain regions.