Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Sept 23 2021 15:49:16

Account Opened in 1999 Is Ineligible for eBay Payments

A seller finds himself in an unusual situation. He kept getting errors when listing on a little-used personal account, and discovered it was because he hadn't yet signed up for Managed Payments.

But then came the Catch 22: his account was too old to sign up for Managed Payments.

"I was basically told that my account was so old that managed payments had not made it that far and they were unsure if it ever would," the seller told EcommerceBytes. "The eBay rep suggested that I open a new account."

The idea that eBay may not be able to get older accounts set up with its new payments system is concerning, and it raises the question of whether holders of older accounts may encounter other difficulties ahead due to legacy software issues.

The reader wanted to know if other users had experienced a similar situation, which he called "a little bonkers." Had this ever come up with any of your subscribers, he asked?

If you sell on accounts older than the mid-2000s and have successfully enrolled in Managed Payments, let us know - especially if it's from 1999 or earlier.

Perminate Link for Account Opened in 1999 Is Ineligible for eBay Payments   Account Opened in 1999 Is Ineligible for eBay Payments

by: AddyUp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 16:22:07 2021

My oldest id is from 2000. There was no problem is signing up with that apart from the usual of handing over your firstborn child.

by: DTSM This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 17:17:50 2021

I opened my account in 1999. I was able to enroll in Managed Payments, but I am unable to create coupon codes. I was told by eBay this was a 'glitch' and they know about it but after 3 months no change. I have considered opening a new account but don't want to leave behind the 20k thousand feedbacks I have accumulated over time. I also do not receive emails when something sells or when I receive payments.

by: zombiehunter This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 18:26:11 2021

My account was opened in Feb., 1998.  No problems.

by: Michael in BC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 18:38:32 2021

Account opened in December 1996 (one of the first couple thousand sellers !).  No problems thus far with respect to Managed Payments.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 19:31:54 2021

By the responses here it sounds like another made up excuse by ebay of why their system doesnt work. Truth is, they dont know why!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 23 20:23:24 2021

My vw ID is from Jan 15 1998

It's in Mangled Payments

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 24 03:20:27 2021

Reboot.  It’s on page three of the eBay CS for Dummies handbook.  Guaranteed to provide an ‘answer’ where ignorance otherwise reigns, and more importantly, ‘resolution’ to the ‘trouble call’.

Next…

by: Old School Seller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 24 08:28:56 2021

November 1996 and zero problem.  This issue with this person might be that they let the account go dormant for too long.

by: Vbmg152 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 25 07:29:30 2021

My account is 26 years old. I’m enrolled in MP but I quit selling cause I’m not Macy’s, I can’t take returns 6 months after selling an item. I sold antiques and collectibles. I donated all my items to charity recently. Sad really. I miss ebay but I’m too old to play their games now. It used to be so much fun to sell and meet people from around the world.

by: Redpiano1 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 26 14:17:04 2021

I've been selling on eBay since 1998. I think the guy needs to try again with that complaint, and escalate-escalate-escalate.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 26 15:58:47 2021

Unless there’s something funny with your account- the age shouldn’t matter

My account is also from 1988 and sadly I’m in MP :(

by: Markdownsandmore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 00:01:12 2021

My account was established in 1999 and have no issue with MP. Have been on it for over a year.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 00:09:19 2021

I registered on "eBay" when it was still called AuctionWeb. I think that was probably in 1997. I still use the same account today and have used it off and on over the years, usually a little every year or two; I was told to sign up for MP last December and didn't have any problems doing that.

by: Ancient Seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 01:10:26 2021

My eBay start date was December 1998. I'm in mangled payments....no problems!

by: catcc This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 02:25:04 2021

Mine was opened in 2000. No problem switching to mangled payments. But boy do I miss Paypal! More issues with mangled in two months than in all the years with Paypal.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 27 02:52:56 2021

Mine was opened in the late 90's and I had no issues getting verified for MP.

by: christy s This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 03:02:20 2021

Might have to try a different bank... I use two banks and only one would work.. also been ebay member since 1998.

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 04:57:18 2021

I have 6 eBay selling accounts. I had problems signing 2 of them up to managed payments. A couple of agents told me I had problems because I had too many accounts yet they could not show me where it said I could not sign up with 6 accounts in their T&S's and eventually after a lot of attempts I got them all signed up.
6 weeks later two of them became unregistered. I managed to re-register the 5th one but I am now still having problems with the 6th account.

It's eBay's broken system. They will make up any excuse they can think of but in reality they haven't a clue themselves so they lie.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 08:18:00 2021

Opened accounts in Jan 1999 and July 1999, both in managed payments with no problems.

by: Valiant This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 08:28:02 2021

My account was opened January 2000 and I have encountered no problems signing up for MP.