Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat May 8 2021 11:19:15

eBay Blocks Sellers from Seeing Who Follows Them

eBay stopped allowing sellers to see who "follows" them, which hampers repeat sales, some sellers said.

"Buyers can still click the "Save this Seller" link so they have easy access to their favorite Sellers, but Sellers are blocked from seeing who those Buyers are," a seller who wished to be referred to as "Mr. L." wrote in an email to EcommerceBytes.

"I am just one of a number of Sellers who has asked eBay why they did this as well as requested that we be given access to those who Follow us," Mr. L. said. "It has been months and eBay, in typical fashion, has given us the run-around but not complied to our wishes."

When it first happened, sellers found a workaround, but by October, eBay had plugged the "loophole" and sellers were again no longer able to see their followers. One seller, "carne.kay," explained why that was a problem: "I have a follower who likes certain items and I wanted to let her know that I have some things I thought she would like. I don't have her info anywhere else."

Another seller, "robertg317," found an awkward way to try to accomplish the same task, writing on the thread: "What I've done is saved those buyers to my favorite "sellers" list and added a note indicating what they frequently buy and what interests they have."

He said it wasn't ideal, but it was the only system he could figure out. "As I list several items, I'll check my favorite "sellers" page to see if I'm listing something of interest."

Another seller ("robxznyc") explained how they had used the feature when it had been available: "As a small seller, when I have a new follower I always send a message to thank their follow, invite them to reach out with questions, and offer a discount to encourage purchase."

Mr. L. pointed us to numerous threads where sellers bemoaned eBay's removal of the feature.

One seller, "soh.maryl," responded on a thread in March, "It seems like eBay made that impossible because there was some badgering of the watchers by the sellers."

We asked Mr. L. why he wanted to know how many Followers he had and who they are:

1) It's the principal of the thing, they are following my ID because of the items I sell or may sell in the future and their choice had nothing to do with anything eBay did.

2) If one's Follower count continues to increase it is a nice indication that you are doing things right and in all likely hood your business is growing.

3) Followers are potentially repeat customers and if good records are kept on what they purchase, they can be contacted when a new item of interest is available on eBay. On a normal transaction after 60 days the link between Buyer and Seller drops out, meaning Sellers can no longer go back to contact someone on a prior transaction if they have something that may be of interest to them.

4) The Follower list is an easier access point to a member's ID then using the Advanced search and having to look up their ID from notes one might keep.

Let us know what you think - do you find value in knowing how many followers you have on eBay? Does the removal of the feature impact you?

Perminate Link for eBay Blocks Sellers from Seeing Who Follows Them   eBay Blocks Sellers from Seeing Who Follows Them

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat May 8 12:53:39 2021

Time to go back to snail mail 2 - way communication.
Works very well for me, and it's fun waiting to get stuff in the mail  :o)

by: AddyUp This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 8 14:32:09 2021

Remember the "good old days".

Sellers knew who all the watchers were (via a few clever external sites).
And as a buyer I often knew rival bidders very well. Whether they were crazy high bidders not worth bidding against or a low bidder with the bid shown just needing a tiny bit higher to "win".

Now it's like the secret service, Over this side of the pond you can't even see the Bid History details page. I have to go to .com for that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sat May 8 17:40:43 2021

Seems like over time, eBay's clueless Wall Street executives work the hardest to snuff out processes that help sellers to grow sales.  These same executives wonder why sellers leave and buyers stop buying.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 8 23:11:16 2021

Just Ebay once again showing their paranoia that Sellers are selling to any customer they can see outside of Ebay.  They are so paranoid about this happening and I am sure they blame their poor performance compared to other platforms to this problem.  So once again Ebay makes another move that will push Sellers to move product to other sites because of their complete and utter stupidity.

Wake up Ebay!!  You are chasing away more and more sellers with all of these idiotic changes thinking that you are plugging holes where money is getting away from you while all the time these moves just frustrate sellers who start selling on other sites.  Also forcing all Sellers into Mangled Payments when you are not even close to being ready to handle all the transactions  and questions is costing you even more money.

Ebay had 5 years to prepare for this and sat on their hands and did nothing but roll out Seller Hub so they could have more control over their sellers.  Now they are using sub-par programmers to try and work on Mangled Payments and all you keep doing is frustrating more and more Sellers who seem to have problems getting their money on a timely basis.  I am not talking the 2-5 business days for you to handle things, although Etsy also uses Adyen and the money gets to the sellers a lot faster than Ebays now backend program does.  I am talking about the constant problems that keep showing up on the discussion boards where money sits in limbo for whatever amount of time that Ebay determines it needs the money, rather than releasing the funds instantly to the Sellers.  You also need to fix your holding of funds that have been refunded already because you once again have a known glitch, but of course that never gets fixed, just like any other glitch that makes more money for Ebay.

You are chasing off your longtime loyal sellers with all of these Ebay money makers and you say we are a dime a dozen and easily replaced, but how many products that used to be on Ebay are no longer available there?

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 9 05:55:48 2021

eBay is under such enormous pressure from speculative short-term investors they have to tighten the rope endlessly in all areas that might result in sellers selling anything outside of the site, thus denying them a profit.

What they seem not to understand, those who use this information to make eBay sales, by far outweigh the occasional outside sale.

All done in desperation for a good Q to Q showing rather than a long-term view. Its odd that eBay cannot see why they are laggards relative to their competitors.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun May 9 12:25:13 2021

I'll say it again

eBay will hide seller ID's in the future

Sellers will be order fillers for "eBay" sales

I had 2 non payers on my mangled payments account.

1 was for a tool on eBay motors and it wouldn't let me send a invoice, so I called eBay. They said since it was on motors no invoice can be sent to the buyer??????????

So I moved on to the 2nd non payer, she told me to file a unpaid item dispute. I asked why? She said so eBay could put a strike on them and I could get my seller fees back. I explained since they didn't pay eBay didn't take the money. That's how it works on MP so there's really no need to file the report. I than mentioned that eBay should know who pays and who doesn't since it's under MP. . . .I explained that "eBay's" customer didn't pay and they need to do the dirty work not me!

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 9 13:06:45 2021

Good to see ebay is focusing on what really matters, and not trivial changes.

by: shut1968 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 9 15:26:49 2021

So Ebay no longer allows you to see who is stalking you... that's great!!

If you don't know what I mean then you have have obviously never been stalked by a crazy Ebay buyer..

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun May 9 16:00:19 2021

Their continued paranoia has only done them damage over the years and will  continue to do so .It is just so pathetic.

I'm, having the most wonderful retirement from them. Certainly not buying from them  There is an abundance of great buys out there in the wide world of ecommerce.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 9 18:19:27 2021

This lunacy is what $32 million a year gets you (purchase price of a Walmart idiot I guess)

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Mon May 10 00:56:41 2021

SixBit displays of the number of orders and total amount with each new order.

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 04:37:56 2021

It's simple really. eBay wants sellers to pay for promotion because eBay doesn't get anything more than a basic fee if they allow sellers to promote their products in any other way. When you sell something just make a note of the Buyers phone number. They are not blocking phone numbers.... yet.

I would just get some leaflets made stating but you have listed new stock and mail it to them. Until eBay blocks buyers addresses and provides their own delivery service they will never stop buyer and seller contact.

eBay is surviving purely on the pandemic at the moment. In a couple of years sales will plummet.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 07:33:39 2021

I don't want to know who's following me.  I want them to BUY from me.  I think this is a nothingburger what this OP is complaining about.  What it means is knowing who your followers are, you will then go and send them junk advertising mail or emails and who needs the work to do it and who needs to be contacted with a lot of junk email?

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 07:34:54 2021

^^
I have the addresses of all the buyers, so anytime I want to I can drop them a post card.  Easy.

by: Nothingnewecrater This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 08:51:03 2021

I have 622 items listed at ecrater. And 43 on eBay. I started online on ebay in 1998. That should tell people what's going on. Every change moves me further and further away from eBay.

by: Nothingnewecrater This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 08:53:02 2021

Sales are close to non-existent on eBay this days

by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 09:58:51 2021

Most likely explanation for them removing it is they were getting complaints about sellers spamming them.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 11:30:50 2021

^^
THIS.  Most of my listings are at Merc and Posh.  Ebay comes in last with sales.

by: Nothingnewecrater T
Sales are close to non-existent on eBay this days.
^^
This, me too.  I'm doing good if I get 4 a month.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Mon May 10 19:26:28 2021

@Chicago48

Isn't i nice to watch the vermin  get flattened?

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Wed May 12 03:29:49 2021

"SixBit displays of the number of orders and total amount with each new order. "

Trying to figure out how this earlier post is relevant to the topic.....