Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Nov 22 2021 20:51:23

The eBay Deja Vu Glitch: When Sold Items Sell Again

Some eBay sellers are reporting that items that sold in the past are selling again after being mysteriously relisted. And if that sounds familiar, it's because it's a problem that rears its ugly head every so often.

Unless or until one of their sold item sells again, sellers may not realize some of their sold items have been relisted. There doesn't appear to be a pattern to who is impacted, and because it's intermittent, it's difficult to know the cause.

One reader forwarded a response they received from an eBay customer support rep who said it was a known issue and a "very urgent matter" that eBay was working on. The reader said, "The weirdest part was the "ghost listing" aspect of the whole thing, available for customers to buy, searchable by title, but not on our active listings page."

There are several threads on the eBay discussion boards from sellers experiencing the issue. In an October 26th thread titled, "eBay is posting SOLD items in UNSOLD so if you relist everything you relist sold items," a seller wrote the following:

"Twice in the last couple weeks I had the odd experience of selling items twice when I only had one item, and could not figure out how or why I would relist a sold item.

"Turns out it is a "known" glitch. Today when I went to relist unsold items I discovered 4 out of 16 items there were sold. So my usual click on relist all unsold items was relisting sold items also, thus implying to eBay buyers that I had more...

"They say it is high priority known glitch but that should be advertised since many of you may also automatically relist unsold items and now you are unknowingly relisting sold items also!"

Another thread goes back to mid-October. In "eBay glitch," a seller wrote, "I've had a problem with an eBay glitch for the past month. I contacted eBay to discuss why sold items were relisting. I've had 4 so far. The agent stated she would put in a ticket to get fixed. Once again something I sold was relisted and purchased. I have reached out to the buyer explaining the problem 3 times. They have not responded. What do I do. I don't want to get blamed for the eBay error. Please advise thank you."

The reader who reported the problem to us said they've spent hours dealing with the issue, including having to refund unlucky buyers who are caught up in the mess.

"I have a large number of disappointed customers, multiple refunds given, and even more free goods given to replace the item when the customer so chooses. Please check into this, see if you can find out any more."

Let us know if this has happened to you, and in the meantime, keep an eye on your listings.

Perminate Link for The eBay Deja Vu Glitch: When Sold Items Sell Again   The eBay Deja Vu Glitch: When Sold Items Sell Again

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 22 23:04:55 2021

This has been going on for so many years with the same response of being a known problem that it is very obvious that Ebay has no intention of ever fixing it as it continues to allow them to push sellers towards that 5% FVF penalty for to many problems as well as allowing them to continue overstating their GMV while listings and sales continue to decline on their site.  Why would they ever fix it when it continues to help them prop up their stock price which is already so much lower than almost any other ecommerce platform.  Just another of the desperate scams that Ebay continues to use to try and justify their existence and the existence of their useless upper management team.

Don't ever believe Ebay when they say it is a high priority fix unless it is costing Ebay money, cause that will get fixed in less than a day so they can make sure to get at least their share of the money.

by: airbrake This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 23 07:39:50 2021

Yes, its been going for years and it happened to me just this month. I agree with Silver Ice King, it will not stop as long as Ebay can derive money from it. Now, with the "new" system in place, Ebay gets to keep that .30 transaction fee so expect the "glitch" to never be fixed.

Watch another problem that has plagued Ebay and Sellers since the "New System" was starting to be put in place since last December. If a Buyer bids on an item you have up for auction and then retracts the bid, the Seller can no longer block the Buyer from re-biding on the same item via the Blocked Bidder List. This has happened several times to me and after a call to Ebay, they say this is normal. That is total BS as I was on Ebay before the Blocked Bidder function was put into place in 2000 and anyone you put in your list could not bid or re-bid on any of the your items. Not anymore and now Ebay does not keep track of Buyers who retract let alone penalize them.

Less Protection, More Pay, Must Be Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Nov 23 07:46:45 2021

Like SIK stated, this has been going on for many years.  Years ago I had several of these hit within a few weeks.  I escalated pretty far up the chain of command. (The CSRs are clueless.)   eBay admitted that the listings were not listed from my IP address, but they would not admit that it was their systems that were relisting them.

I sell on multiple platforms including my website and I have never had this happen elsewhere, only eBay, the "technology" company.  These are the guys designing the algo.  Think about it.

by: SharonY. This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 29 00:11:27 2021

This happened to me again today.  I thought I was going nuts - like why would I list the same thing twice?????  It happens far too frequently.  I wish they would fix it.

by: AllfixElectrical This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 29 03:47:13 2021

Deliberate theft on eBay's part. Been going on for years. One of the many reasons we don't sell on the platform at all any more after almost 20 years on the dodgy site.
SIK nailed it.

by: dinamomof4 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 29 10:22:05 2021

I have been dealing with this since February 2021. I have one item that has been sold since 2020 but has been relisted so many times I've lost count. But I have had many items relisted more than once.  My issue is that I am being charged listing fees each time. Even if it is listed as a free one, at some point I am having to pay listing fees for them all because ones that I legit list to sell won't be free cuz ebay is using my free ones to relist sold items. Ebay has been telling me since May 2021 that they will refund me for them, about $160.00, but of course they never have. I am thinking I need an attorney....