Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Nov 8 2021 21:34:35

Seller Visibly Upset over eBay Handling of Scam

An online seller was visibly upset over eBay's handling of a scam she said she experienced at the hands of a buyer. She relayed her experience in a YouTube video, and at certain points, she appeared close to tears of frustration and disappointment.

Jen Doyle said she has been buying and selling on eBay for many years - "I love eBay," she said - but titled the video she posted on September 27, "I WILL NEVER SELL ON EBAY AGAIN! Beware of this scam! EBAY refused to appeal the decision!"

Doyle explained she had sold a Loungefly, which is a brand of backpack from Disney, for $150. After delivery, she said the buyer contacted her looking for a refund stating that they hadn't received the item. Doyle said tracking showed not only that it had been delivered, but had a note "left with person," so denied the refund, and eBay closed the Item Not Received case in Doyle's favor.

That's when things took an ugly turn. A month and a half later, Doyle said the buyer opened a Not as Described claim, alleging that Doyle had sent her a picture of turtle instead of the backpack. Doyle responded, and eBay closed the case.

The buyer then filed a claim with their financial institution, which required the buyer to send back the item. But what Doyle got back, however, was not the backpack, but a picture of a turtle, she said.

"I'm most upset because I didn't do anything wrong. All my "I"s were dotted, "T"s were crossed, I did everything right, had the tracking number, had the photos - and they can still just completely railroad everything and get their money back."

Doyle filmed the video on the day she received the turtle picture. She said the financial institution got the tracking number showing the buyer "returned" the item and immediately ruled in the buyer's favor.

Doyle called eBay back, which said there was nothing it could do, at which point, Doyle asked the eBay rep, "What could I have done differently? As an honest seller, what could I have done differently?" The rep just kept saying how sorry she was, according to Doyle.

"I'm done with eBay, I'm closing my account tonight, I'm not selling anything ever again on there," Doyle said. "I've lost faith in that system."

However, Doyle regrouped and followed up the original video with two updates.

Here she is in the first video describing the scam she said she experienced.

On October 19th, she posted, "How To Have Your Ebay Scammer Charged with Fraud and Theft - Why Selling On Ebay is Such A Gamble."

In the second video, Doyle pointed out that eBay kept her selling fees plus a $20 dispute fee and pointed to the comments that shows hers was far from an isolated incident.

She then described how she took the matter to the US Postal Service (no luck there) and with law enforcement - and was so obviously delighted when the police took her complaint seriously.

But there was more - on November 4th, Doyle posted a third video, "The SECRET To Getting A REFUND from EBAY When You Are SCAMMED - This Works!"

She said she called eBay back to provide them with a police report number, and that magically opened the doors to an appeal, and eBay refunded her the transaction amount. But why couldn't have eBay allowed her to submit her evidence and appeal its decision in the first place, she wondered.

She also expressed satisfaction that the buyer who she said had scammed her was under investigation by law enforcement.

An EcommerceBytes reader sent us links to Doyle's videos and said in part, "It appears a reselling YouTuber has discovered a way to successfully fight back against eBay's consistent willingness to refund scamming buyers to whom eBay generally gives full refunds despite lacking evidence of seller malfeasance."

The first video received nearly 55,000 views, 2,100 likes (and 50 thumbs-down), and over 1,100 comments. Clearly it resonated with other eBay users.

Doyle's videos show how a passion for buying and selling on eBay can turn quickly into distress and distrust. The videos should be required watching for those responsible for how eBay handles customer service and disputes.

Perminate Link for Seller Visibly Upset over eBay Handling of Scam   Seller Visibly Upset over eBay Handling of Scam

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 06:58:50 2021

Typical corporate executives.
Riding on the backs they are stabbing.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Nov 9 08:12:58 2021

The bigger crime here is eBay. They've turned buyer theft into a scheme to monetize, therefore don't expect them to do what is ethical or right.   The $20 fee clearly shows the disdain that they have for any seller who dares to fight back.  It's a "stick it to 'em tactic.

I applaud this seller who fought back.  To bad she can't claim emotional distress caused by eBay.   Where is the seller protection that they crow about?

Let's hope that the next video is the buyer being hauled off to jail in handcuffs.

by: AddyUp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 08:37:14 2021

It's a usual practice, on this side of the pond, that with certain disputes the only way to get anywhere with ebay is to report the buyer to action fraud and then pass on the crime number to ebay.

Even then the best result is ebay takes the hit instead of the seller. So basically the scammer still wins. Though with ebay paying out I would assume that buyers days are numbered.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 08:49:23 2021

Happened to a buddy of mine- the buyer sent back a totally different item.  EBay was forthright with my friend- said file a police report and send us a copy.  He did so, and he got his money from eBay.  I guess they aren't publicizing this as a thing to do or the given CSRs were unaware that it was an option.  Obviously there are laws against filing a false police report so if a seller is willing to go that route, there's some merit to the seller's case.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 08:56:01 2021

Because any loss incurred is now on ebays books and not PayPal, eBay makes sellers “auto loose” when a buyer does a chargeback.

Right and wrong don’t figure into the equation- it’s will eBay loose or not.

eBay has long aided and abetted liar buyers, MO has just made it worse.

San Jose mafia!

by: terry55 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 09:48:45 2021

That's why I won't sell any high dollar items, ebay is not a safe place to sell. Its like lending money, never lend money you can't afford to lose. Returns should be file thru ebay, if the buyer loses, they should not be able to file a chargeback.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 10:32:20 2021

I haven't sold on eBay for well over a year and then some.

I read a lot on the forums and see a lot of the problems of scammers.  I don't want eBay running my business / hobby and think they can do what they want with MY inventory.

Hey Jennifer,
Why not sell on eBid.net and bring your followers over there.

Waiting for the final video of the "nice bracelets" of Jennifer's scammer should receive.  : D

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Nov 9 11:43:23 2021

My response would be (4) reports to file

My local police

Their local police

The FBI (if it crossed state lines)

US Postal Inspectors

And if I'm in a bad mood I'll just handle it myself the ole fashioned way!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Nov 9 11:49:46 2021

That's why I always take video of me packing an item, ending with a shot of the mailing label. Should I ever get a claim that I sent the wrong item, I have my video; where's the buyer's video of opening my package?

It's situations just like that described in the article which will be eBay's undoing. How many sellers are going to put up with being scammed?

Note to Ina: Loungefly is a company that sells more than backpacks. They sell wallets, pins, and other items. And they license more IPs than Disney. They sell Pokemon, Harry Potter, and much more.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Nov 9 11:58:08 2021

I am SO SO happy I don't depend on eBay to pay my bills any more!

I feel lucky that I was ripped off only a few times in the 20+ years of eBay selling, the worst one was for $64 and I haven't forgotten the guys name after 15 years!

And that dirt bag ran for office last year in Alaska! (James Canitz)

A lying cheating rip off running for office. . . . .It doesn't surprise me one bit. . .

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 14:46:52 2021

@ AddyUp

"Even then the best results ebay takes the hit instead of the seller. So basically the scammer still wins. Though with ebay paying out I would assume that buyers days are numbered. "

Well you would be wrong there. Several years ago there was a famous fraud case on eBay where a seller sold an entire HVAC unit that weigh several hundred pound and shipped it via a freight company. Buyer files for return and returned a piece of metal in a priority mail box weighing 10lbs. With this amount of proof of fraud, eBay still ruled against the seller, and only when his account manager got involved did eBay issue a "one time cutesy refund". Ebay refunded over $1400 out of their pocket, and yet that buyer (who the seller identified in his original post of the boards before eBay edited it) is still an active buyer today, last making a purchase in March.

by: ThebigR This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 17:21:05 2021

I lose 100s of dollars a year to ebay scammers nothing much new about that its the cost of doing business with ebay. Can't afford to lose it don't list it on the internet pretty simple solution....

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 9 23:54:37 2021

Uh, why was this on Ebay? Ebay ruled in favor of the seller both times. When the buyer filed a charge dispute, it was the credit card company of the buyer's who makes the ultimate decision. Ebay has no real say in it.

So what is the issue? I would have gone after the buyer.....

by: Vbmg152 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 10 06:05:43 2021

@toolguy
I feel your pain. I sold on eBay for over 25 years before it was a big site, I quit about 1 1/2 years ago. I had a scammer (buyer) ask for a refund over 90 days after they got my item (why is this even a thing?) anyway I said no. I got sick, it was the height of the pandemic, the scammer went to PayPal and they refunded the $75. It was a small amount considering all the money I made over the years but it was the princi

by: Vbmg152 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 10 06:07:26 2021

Well I messed that comment up. Anyway it was the principle. A buyer shouldn’t be able to ask for a refund months later, I’m not Macy’s here. I’m an older lady that was trying to supplement our social security at this point. I grew old on eBay. 😂😂

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 10 08:09:42 2021

"Uh, why was this on Ebay?"   "So what is the issue? I would have gone after the buyer....."

So should the seller have gone after the buyer for the $20 fleece fee that eBay charged her?   And if eBay did nothing wrong here, why are they ONLY protecting the seller after she has produced police reports.   And is the buyer still on eBay?   If so, why is eBay aiding and abetting?  Did eBay make any attempt to "go after" the buyer?  No, eBay CS simply responded with there's nothing that we can do for you.  (How many sellers have heard that paraphrased in hundreds of ways?)

This has been going on far too long.  These buyers know what they can get away with on eBay's platform.  Only when it affects eBay's bottom line will they actually provide seller protection that has teeth.  They way eBay has this set up, it is not affecting their bottom line.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 10 10:30:47 2021

“ So what is the issue? …”

iF one can ‘overlook’ the fact eBay has no business guaranteeing anything they do not possess or contribute to, (which ought not be overlooked), the problem that remains is eBay’s complete lack of due process in ‘processing and judging’ accusations.  The mere fact that involving authorities to even have a chance at an eBay ‘review’ is ‘unpublished’, (which nevertheless STILL does not consider ‘evidence’ before acting - either way), should be enough to clearly see ‘the issue’.

Incidentally, this doesn’t even yet address how this ‘buyer’ acts with no fear or concern for accountability, and because of eBay’s desperate need for street cred metrics, remains active and allowed to continue their fraudulent activity.  Or is there no “issue” with that either?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Nov 10 11:56:31 2021

Why I LOVE US Postal Money Orders

I had 100% control of the transaction, and since I truly am an HONEST John it was better for both me and the buyer.

I have NEVER refused a return. . . . .

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 11 00:24:04 2021

We wrote an Ecommerce EKG post about eBay doing this very thing, charging the $20 "Dispute Fee" EVEN WHEN WE WON THE CHARGEBACK, as eBay has created fees for everything now.

Ironically, we're in t to-do with a buyer over a similar thing, where the buyer has actually staged photos falsely showing a "problem" with our product, while also showing a huge, incorrect screw "holding" the product - but in actuality, only present to hide the misallignment he set up to deceive people into thinking the item didn't fit.  The photos he did send clearly show the item shifted around (which the same oversized screw in it), which couldn't possibly occur at all.
The result is predictable - eBay stating he can return the item he claimed was "Defective/doesn't work".  He's extremely upset that we decoded his lame attempt at deceptive photos (he didn't even NEED PhotoShop to stage this).

We have a website and other venues, and after 21+ years on eBay we've about had it too.  It's funny, because we HAVE involved police reporting before this for other such problems, and eBay didn't seem to care much at all, but now they've got MILLIONS of viewers seeing it on YouTube and public police reports, and "suddenly" they're all cozy with the seller wanting to appeal?

Baloney.  Ebay's biggest problem is itself.  We've spent hours on the phone with "support", who reliably lied to us, fabricated the policies they said they had to follow, and actually asked us to just "eat this as a part of doing business", but oddly enough, we don't have things like this occur on ANY of our other venues - just eBay.

And eBay is the only venue that can't seem to figure out why.  Perhaps this recent announcement of losing 5% of their buyer base will wake them up?   Naaah.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 11 02:12:24 2021

“ I had 100% control of the transaction,…”

No you didn’t, even then. Even less so now.

As long as you or anyone else depend(ed) on a ‘venue’ to adequately make the item visible in the first place (they don’t), then you don’t control who might know it’s available to buy.  In fact, you won’t even know who might have paid MORE, if they only knew you were offering.

As long as you face(ed) price pressures based on what the ‘venue’ decided was ‘appropriate’, you don’t control getting what you want if that’s not in line.

As long as your platform of ‘choice’ controlled your public perception based on allowing whatever lies and accusations the buyer wants to etch in the FB stone, you had (nor have) no control over your own ‘appearance’.

As long as the ‘venue’ decides what you can say in a listing, and how you should ‘show and tell’, you don’t control that ‘100%’ either.

Also, as long as your ‘choice’ of vehicle decides what they charge for all this ‘service’, and when, and for what aspects of the ‘transaction’ they’ll ‘take’, and also how much any or all of that might increase at their whim, you do not control how much of that ‘money order’ you get to keep.  In fact, such may not even adhere to what you initially ‘chose’ to agree to as long as THEY get to unilaterally decide on contract language.

And, as far as returns go, you may have chosen to accept any returns, but you do not control the process, and you have NO control, if you ever want to ‘choose’ not to accept a return.

So, as long as you ‘choose’ to use eBay, you will not be your own ‘tool’.  You will be eBay’s tool.

Not to worry though, they are just fine with you continuing to believe otherwise.