Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Sept 23 2020 12:15:15

Update in eBay Cyberstalking Scandal: 4 to Enter Plea

Four out of seven former eBay employees charged with two felonies in a cyberstalking scandal will appear before a Federal Judge next month to enter a plea. Brian Gilbert, Stephanie Popp, Stephanie Stockwell, and Veronica Zea were charged by Information on May 22nd.

Bloomberg confirmed the four will plead guilty to conspiracy to commit cyberstalking and conspiracy to tamper with witnesses (via msn.com).

According to the court docket entry filed today, the hearing will be conducted by video conference on October 8th. The four will waive Indictment and plea to Information before Judge William G. Young.

Former eBay employee Phil Cooke was charged by Information on July 7th on the same charges.

Alleged co-conspirators, James Baugh and David Harville, also former eBay employees, were arrested on June 15th and, according to Bloomberg, deny wrongdoing.

Update 9/24/2020A fifth person to plead.

Perminate Link for Update in eBay Cyberstalking Scandal: 4 to Enter Plea   Update in eBay Cyberstalking Scandal: 4 to Enter Plea

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 12:44:40 2020

So will they be turning state evidence against the true mastermind, David Wenig?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Sep 23 12:49:02 2020

"Bloomberg confirmed the four will plead guilty to conspiracy to commit cyberstalking and conspiracy to tamper with witnesses"

Well, that's a slam dunk for the Steiner's civil case against eBay!

I hope we hear someday how many millions they got but I'm afraid it will be a sealed settlement. . . .

by: Picky Chicky This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 13:08:52 2020

Yeah, I can't believe that jerk is getting away with it. He's probably the one who turned state evidence to walk away unscathed. Although, considering how much he got paid to leave, I'm sure he only turned over so much.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Sep 23 13:28:36 2020

@picky chicky

"Yeah, I can't believe that jerk is getting away with it."

HELLO

We do live in the USA where someone is presumed innocent until proven guilty!

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 13:41:20 2020

I am glad to see that some of them got smart and decided to plead guilty and hopefully testify against the others and hopefully spill a lot of beans about how Wenig was behind the entire operation since they are no longer being paid off by Ebay.  At least Ebay hopefully is smart enough to be keeping their distance from this entire fiasco as I am still positive they will eventually get dragged in, if not criminally at least civilly.

As for Wenig, I doubt very much that he will ever see the inside of a jail or prison from this case, but I hope that either through fines or losing the civil suit that I am sure is coming (as i am sure he is also) that his entire golden parachute before taxes is taken away.  Hopefully most if not all of that money winds up in the Steiners hands to help reduce the stress and anxiety they had to have been put through from all of this mess.  By forcing Wenig to pay the gross amount of his golden parachute in fines and lawsuit losses that should also eat up a good amount of what he has remaining from his time serving as the CEO of Ebay as he does not deserve to keep even a single penny of his earnings as I am sure that this is not the only time that Ebay used illegal methods to try and rein in or control people who Wenig deemed to be against his policies and lack of ethics while serving as the CEO of Ebay.  This is the only time that somebody figured it out and Ebay got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Thank you very much for the update Ina and David.  Personally I really appreciate that you were allowed to disclose what was happening with this case.  If you cannot tell, I am very much hoping that Devin Wenig gets what he should have coming for not only this atrocity but all of the others that occurred under his regime.  I still remember reading what one employee posted about him after having been laid off and it supported everything that people on this site had been accusing him of all along.  He does not deserve to come away with anything from his time spent as the CEO of Ebay.  In fact he should be paying the shareholders for having been allowed to work there and for all of the special security as well asl use of the corporate jet due to supposed safety issues that he brought on himself.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 13:54:52 2020

And in true American Justice they will get maybe 60 days and a lovely ankle bracelet for a year. Fitting sentence for all.

by: Picky Chicky This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 13:56:24 2020

@toolguy, I've seen some of the evidence that has been made public and there's no doubt in my mind. Too bad I wasn't on that jury.

by: Picky Chicky This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 14:00:22 2020

BTW @toolguy, why single me out? As if I'm the only one who thinks he's guilty. Are you just looking to harass me? If so, don't bother.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 16:05:16 2020

"HELLO

We do live in the USA where someone is presumed innocent until proven guilty! "

Well TOOL - if intimidation, coercion and theft (RICO) from sellers isnt enough of an indication for you ...... (that hes a criminal) ... then what is ?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 16:09:53 2020

The stupid thing about the entire episode is that the Steiners themselves never said a word about eBay ... its people like ME ... yet they got enmeshed with the eBay criminals and to date I have not.

Though thinking back ... i never got a horses head in bed and I was never stalked but I did have to live through 2 years of eBay VERO intimidation that almost cost me my business and eBay account. (But I beat them by threatening court action so maybe they learned not to "play" with me)

Best of luck to the Steiners and congrats on getting at least some justice - I hope you guys take eBay and these 4 rats "to the cleaners" .... homeless on San Frans streets would be a good place for them all - DW can have the biggest cardboard box!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Sep 23 16:31:50 2020

GOOD !
Hang 'em out to dry.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 23 17:11:49 2020

“.... presumed innocent until proven guilty! ”

Right. Due process and all that. Might as well make all those lawyers on the payroll earn a bit of it.

Though eBay themselves has never ever ever applied that basic jurisprudence to any case, accusation or sanction applied against a seller. Seems only fitting that their blatant hypocrisy regarding due process be formerly demonstrated during their continuing denial of facts already established for this particular ‘case’ with them as the accused.

Of course, it might be a bit of a challenge forming a jury of peers, since according to eBay, they don’t have any. Guess all it’s gonna cost ‘em is a little bit of everybody’s money.

AKA business as usual.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 24 00:01:40 2020

"We do live in the USA where someone is presumed innocent until proven guilty! "

True. However, the four individuals have waived their indictment and will plea which tells me they are guilty and have no defense. They have likely cut a deal in which they will testify against the two who are denying wrongdoing. Ebay trained them well. Likely paid them better.

My hope is the Steiners can obtain a civil judgement against every one of them. If any of them so much as finds a quarter on the ground, the Steiners can seize it. They won't be able to own a cardboard box for the rest of their lives.

And if Devin Wenig can be implicated, even better.

by: turtledove This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 24 01:05:26 2020

@toolguy

“I hope we hear someday how many millions they got but I'm afraid it will be a sealed settlement”

Afraid?

HELLO

That’s nobodys business.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 24 01:20:14 2020

@turtledove

If it goes thru the court system it's everyone's business!

My guess is they settle out of court for an undisclosed amount, I just hope part of the settlement terms don't include shutting down this site. . . .I like posting here.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 24 10:14:09 2020

@Tool

I doubt very much that Ina and David would agree to such terms, but I also doubt very much that Ebay or Wenig are stupid enough to try and make that demand at this point in time.  The Steiners did absolutely nothing wrong and for Ebay or any of the defendants to even suggest such terms in the settlement would actually show that what was being said about Ebay was probably true and Ebay nor Wenig is going to want to go anywhere near that admission.

by: Small Guy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 24 11:55:29 2020

I'll bet if the Steiners do get a settlement it will allow them to expand to do even bigger and better things.  They  have paid their dues and done a lot of good for a lot of people to date.  That shows in the comments we read here.  If justice  prevails, my faith is restored and maybe there really is a Dog... (no I'm not Dyslexic I was talking about Ebay).

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 24 13:35:50 2020

@Small Guy

I got the feeling the Steiner's will be retiring once the settlement is made!

eBay wants this site shut down, the Steiner's can fight eBay in court for 2-3 years then go another 2-3 for eBay's appeal.

or they could take a large sum & retire. . . .Time will tell, but I have the feeling this site won't be here in 2 years!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 24 14:14:27 2020

If eBay wants this site "gone", Im sure the Steiners have enough law representation to have eBay make them a NICE 6 figure offer (or more).

Yes Id be sad ... where else could I get the minutia of each eBay rule (down to how much coffee was in each eBay shlubs cup when each scheme was thought up) followed by a "but I said I dont like it anymore then you do admission"?

Where else could someone post text after text just to aggravate all other posters, only to flip flop if eBay sends him a payout?

Theres plenty of GOOD people Id miss - SIK, Snapped and many others .. but I doubt that this is where its going so ...

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 24 14:35:07 2020

I thought I would never HATE a huge corporation more than I hate Comcast but I now believe eBay has passed even that cretinous outfit. I hope the Steiners win control over the entire mess. Everyday I deal with a new glitch. eBay is far worse today than it was.