Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Sept 14 2020 20:35:19

eBay Managed Payments Experienced Processing Delays

Today an eBay moderator confirmed on a discussion board thread that from September 3 - 7, it delayed processing some orders for sellers enrolled in Managed Payments.

The moderator said eBay notified sellers impacted by the payment-processing delays, informing them it would issue an additional payout outside of their standard schedule. However, he provided no explanation of the cause of the system delays.

A seller responded suggesting that eBay post the issue on the announcement board or on the system status page.

A reader also informed EcommerceBytes today that several sellers reported that thousands of dollars have been held up for weeks and had been unable to get answers from eBay. The reader said the reports were posted on the gated Managed Payments discussion board, and noted hours-long wait times to get assistance from customer service.

Even when there are no glitches, sellers are unhappy with the amount of time it takes to receive funds from the sale of goods under the Managed Payments system. On this thread, an eBay seller compared the payouts under the old and new systems:

"Old way: buyer pays, money is immediately available (if not an echeck), seller can use PayPal debit card to use their funds immediately or seller transfers funds to bank account and sees it in approximately 3 days. Sales made on weekends are still available for seller in their PayPal account

"New way: buyer pays, eBay "processes" money for several days (I still have some processing from the 20th, yet they told me it was cleared and I already shipped in order to meet my 1-day shipping time set on auctions), then eBay finally releases money (at their discretion) for me to wait 3-5 more days for my money. Note if it is a weekend there will be no processing or sending of funds, so sales on those days take an additional couple of days until the next business day."

Perminate Link for eBay Managed Payments Experienced Processing Delays   eBay Managed Payments Experienced Processing Delays

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 02:44:38 2020

As usual, Ebay expects its so called Seller Partners to ship their items as quickly as possible (whether we have received our monies or not)  so they can try to compete with Amazon Prime (which they never will unless they have some of their skin in the game).  If Ebay expects their sellers to meet these extremely tight shipping deadlines then they should also be required to meet the same types of standards when getting their sellers paid, not have to sit around and wait until Ebay can finally get the payment processed.

Ebay could do much better on their payment times if they really wanted to but once again this is not hurting anybody except their so called Partners aka Sellers.  Every issue that Ebay ever encounters seems to always somehow make more money for Ebay or it gets immediately corrected.  If Ebay had to pay interest every day that the Sellers are not paid, I guarantee you payments would be handled much quicker.  The reason it has taken Ebay all of this time to try and rewrite all the programming rather than use what Adyen supplies is solely due to wanting to completely control all of their Sellers and their money.  This has been their goal since Mangled Payments was first thought about but as usual Ebay won't spend the money for enough or top talented programmers because they want to squeeze every penny they can out of Sellers or their accounts so they can continue to justify their huge year end bonuses.  Wenig may be gone as well as many of the BOD members but the culture at Ebay has not and will not change because those in control do not want it to.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 09:16:27 2020

Delayed payments = Ebay Euphoria of the interest on that money.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 10:04:29 2020

what's the surprise? we all knew it would be a disaster and now it really is - so while  America is suffering a lack of inventory (viable inventory) clearly lacking in any store you go in - things are just not arriving from china - another great american scam - let's make everything in china. So here we are - there's not an over abundance of inventory to begin with - ebay keeps all the sellers money till they feel like paying them. Sellers keep leaving - buyer have nothing to buy of any value - there you go ebay - bye bye. So happy I left months ago.
This is only going to get worse. Stores are going bankrupt daily - people are unemployed - the money's dried up - brother hope you have that prepper plan going

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 10:46:55 2020

MANGLED PAYMENTS .. ALL of these bad news PERSONAL experiences fit Hand  in Glove with why I am PATIENTLY dragging my feet to NOT join into this particular SELLER BEATDOWN.
I know that refusing to even ACKNOWLEDGE that they keep nagging Nagging NAGGING me to Play Village Idiot by giving EBAY more personal and BANKING information than my REAL TO GAWD Brick and Mortar BANK needs.
I'm not one to JUMP from Bank to Bank so in the past 50 years I've had no more than SIX banks.  It would have been TWO BANKS had I not taken TWO Out-of-State moves for Job Promotions.
Why on Earth would incompetent EBAY and their Evil European non-Bank, Bank need so much MORE info than REAL banks here in USA.
I know that I'm whistling past the graveyard, but I hold out HOPE that this whole Mangled Payments SCHEME will Crash and Burn .... leaving Good Ole PayPal to pick up the pieces.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 12:55:28 2020

Can't wait for the eBay shill to tell us how great it is for eBay to delay payments. Ebay is as pure as the wind driven snow, nothing to see here, ignore the CEO hiding behind the curtain counting your money.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Sep 15 12:56:07 2020

No wonder Pierre stepped down from the BOD.  With the failures tied to mangled payments and pi$$ poor communication with effected sellers, phantom listings that eBay has yet to fix, site wide issues that come and go on a daily basis, search engine that has not worked well since it's inception, and a corporate leadership team that refuses to address issues while creating new ones.

It is no surprise that the founder chose to walk away rather than continue to be associated with his creation that is a daily disaster and embarrassment.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 13:42:18 2020

EXACTLY what Silver Ice King said.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 13:53:16 2020

@ shanna :)

Theres a few here that are going to say that - or something similar.

It will start with "its eBays platform so you have to do it their way OR ELSE leave eBay".

Then theres another one or two who will tell you "this is how it es everywhere else so stop complaining"

Problem is that Mercari and Poshmark dont seem to have these problems - so why does eBay?

Problem is that you dont SELL on Amazon, THEY make the sales and you fullfill - you dont use their platform to SELL as apposed to eBay where they just provide the website you sell on.

Problem is eBay told anyone who would listen that Paypal is/was the greates and safest place to have your money when you buy and sell online - then magically .. POOF - they are gone and some cheap clone (Adyen) has replaced it (like the 2 Darins on Bewitched)

Problem is that you can contact Paypal and work with them - you cant work or call Adyen

Problem is that Paypal already lost that case (holding sellers funds for no reason) and yet here AGAIN, sellers have to fight for whats theirs

and the reasons go on and on.

Instead of focusing on fixing the platforms main issues - eBay tinkers on the margins (eBay authenticate) and what ever time gets left over goes to Payments. eBay just doesnt take anything seriously (Where are the 2 dopes from Walmart?). I see listings that OPENLY state "not real but reproduction" - I report them and nothing happens - wheres the CEO now with his claims of being REAL and Honest - its all BS.

Legit issues do crop up - but on eBay - they seem to happen 24/7/365 (every day theres more) and ebay just laughs.

Why does it take hrs to get ahold of someone in CS - where did all the CS people go? If theres a backup - wake up Uncle Good Griff and the other DEAD WOOD and put them on the phones!

eBay San Jose Mafia - keeping the VIG on sellers funds just because they can.

SIKs idea is %100 spot on- there should be legislation - if you keep a sellers funds for more then 24hrs - you have to pay interest at todays current rates until payment is made.

This user has validated their user name. by: Covid-20

Tue Sep 15 16:02:03 2020

@PACE -

As always, THIS one had me on the floor!  "(like the 2 Darins on Bewitched)"  HAA!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 16:22:15 2020

Covid :) or the 2 Marilyns on the Munsters!

eBay never had the cajones to explain to its sellers where "paypal went".

We all knew - since we can all read - but eBay pretended as if nothing was .... today its Paypal, tomorrow its Adyen!

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 22:02:27 2020

There is no denying that Managed Payments stinks.

I stand firm in my belief that when it all shakes out, the result for eBay will be a net zero. The loss of sellers and their inventory will offset all gains realized through MP.

I will continue selling because I can. The money is easy for what it is. However, any plans to scale up, out the window. I am focusing my energy toward other endeavors. I think the same can be said for many other sellers.

One other thought; much has been mentioned of Paypal being sued for holding funds. I see an important difference with eBay. Buyers are making payment to eBay, not the seller. The funds belong to eBay until they remit them to the seller. Meaning they can hold funds for as long as they see fit without any recourse by the seller. And rest assured, eBay will.

by: Bubbles This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 17 00:42:10 2020

Another eBay stuff up!  Mangled Payments a major step backwards in today's world of instant banking. They should pay the sellers interest for the average week long delays. Paypal was soooooooooo much better.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 17 02:22:27 2020

What % of sellers have problems with MP I have no idea, but my experience for my commodity store is that I almost always get my payments the next day after payout, Friday payments arriving on Monday.  I have no complaints and hope that eBay soon figures out how to accept MP payments in foreign currencies so I can enroll my collectibles store as well.

by: Mamak This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 17 02:25:18 2020

by: EbaySellersMatter This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 17 05:54:15 2020

Ebay does not give a S...about interest. The account of Managed Payments will hold millions if not a billion dollars, PERMANENTLY. That money will be used for paying off Bank Loans and/or doing Acquisitions. And if all fails,f.e. bankruptcy, who do you think is not getting their money?? I do not understand why a company is allowed to do this kind of Banking business without a Government Permission and No Hard Guarantees.

by: RMA49311 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 17 12:40:30 2020

How in the world can eBay accept money from buyers, and allow sellers to ship, on weekends... but get away with not paying out the money it owes to its Sellers on weekends?!?!?

Also has anyone noticed how you can buy shipping labels with the pending money in your Managed Payments balance but you can't seem to use that same money to pay your eBay account balance?

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 17 23:43:06 2020

Paul W:

I am not sure how your payments are processing so quickly. I suspect you might be mistaken and only think you are receiving your payments the next day. If not, then all of us should be on that program.

Here is my experience:

Item sold Thursday; payment pending until following Monday, money remitted to my account on Monday; received by my bank via ACH Tuesday.

Friday - Sunday payments clear the following Tuesday; available in my bank Wednesday.

Meanwhile, all charges for shipments of items sold during the weekend are netted out of the next remittance right away. If you ship same day, or print labels through the weekend as I do, your remittance going out Monday is smaller. Yes you pick it up Wednesday, but the cash flow advantage is eBay's.  Bank closed on Monday? You wait an extra day.

I bank with Chase, and they process ACH coming and going within 24 hours. I think I get my money as fast as anyone can and it is 5 days from point of sale to cash in my account.

I agree with Mamak's statement above:

"If we slow walked our shipments like they slow walk our money we would be kicked off of eBay."

Managed Payments stinks. Period.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Fri Sep 18 01:35:11 2020

@I Must be Crazy

I have roughly the same timetable as you do.  Probably most of us on MP.

I think @Paul is specifying ''payouts'' coming in the next day, nothing to do with ''processing''.  Meaning that anytime eBay initiates a Payout, he gets it the next business day at his bank.  So that also follows that pattern.  He made no distinct mention of the processing time before the payout (time from sale to payout).  But I bet that is consistent, too.

The first time eBay initiated a payout on a Friday, I got it in my bank on Saturday.  I thought that was odd, since eBay cautioned that nothing would move on the weekends.  Maybe a fluke, as since then all Friday payouts arrive on Monday.