Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Aug 1 2020 11:22:53

Sellers Report eBay Is Overbilling Them: End of Month Glitch?

eBay provides sellers with a certain amount of free listings each month. But on Friday, the last day of the month, it began charging sellers listing fees even though according to its own reports, should have been free.

A reader reported the glitch on the Ecommerce EKG board:

"Went to use the last 50 free listings for the month that were supposed to expire at 12:59:59 PDT but they were gone before 1am EDT. When refreshing my eBay page the messages with the offers appear for a second and then disappear with nothing left."

Another reader wrote to EcommerceBytes about the problem. He said, "Sometime during the day on 7/31/2020, eBay stopped honoring their 50 free monthly listings (another programming bug) and started charging listing fees for relists and listings."

He said he had verified it was happening to multiple sellers.

Adding to his concern: he was unable to report the problem to eBay - they are no longer taking calls, he said.

Sellers also reported that eBay had incorrectly billed them on the eBay seller discussion boards:

Link to thread titled, "Why am I being charged listing fees suddenly when it says I have 23 free listings left?"

Link to thread titled, "I have 14 free listings that don't expire until midnight..." In that thread, a seller said that because the glitch wasn't fixed before midnight, they lost the remaining 14 free listings eBay was obligated to provide them. "This morning eBay has repopulated my 200 (addl free) listings for August but it did not populate my normal 50 free a month."

In his letter to us, the EcommerceBytes reader advised sellers to check their invoices. "Make sure to get the word out for people to check their invoices if they listed today and to keep an eye out for any new relists in August."

We've been unable to find any report from eBay addressing the problem.

Perminate Link for Sellers Report eBay Is Overbilling Them: End of Month Glitch?   Sellers Report eBay Is Overbilling Them: End of Month Glitch?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 1 12:52:07 2020

And you thought Greedbay was going to give you something free

by: acc756 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 1 13:16:58 2020

eBay's new insertion fee plan goes into effect today, August 1st. I'm betting it's another eBay execution failure. Every update always seems to break something.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 1 14:56:07 2020

and the self proclaimed greatest tech company fails again.

This user has validated their user name. by: Covid-20

Sat Aug 1 15:14:27 2020

''๐‘Š๐‘’'๐‘ฃ๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘’๐‘› ๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘™๐‘’ ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘“๐‘–๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘ฆ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ก ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘š ๐‘’๐ต๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ ๐‘Ž๐‘‘๐‘‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘๐‘™๐‘’๐‘š.''

No WAY! Get outta town!  Seriously?

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 1 16:01:40 2020

Ebay "the new length of a calendar month for ebay as listed in the new seller update in between line 2313 (for indian sellers) and line 2315 (for chinese sellers) LINE 2114, the new calendar length of an ebay month is now 27 days."

Therefore any free listings will be administered between day 28 and 29 of the month.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 2 07:49:25 2020

Time zones. China IS about a dozen hours ahead, after all.

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 2 09:05:20 2020

It would be interesting to know how the shareholders would react if they were the victims of the ole' D-bay "Bait and Glitch" games.

Funny how Oopsy glitches in overbilling, and a week later, D-bay does the same thing.

If the lottery had these same kind of predictable patterns, we'd all be millionaires by now.

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 2 09:08:04 2020

"We've been unable to find any report from eBay addressing the problem."

Of course they 'addressed' it.
They Created it!

by: ZZ This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 2 09:30:30 2020

August 2nd now and FeeBay is still trying to charge me for making an edit to listings already in progress. Why am I trying to edit all my listings with the bulk editor, you ask?  Because they deleted one listing (all of my listings say the same thing because I'm tired of blocking all the unsolicited offers I get through the message system) and sent me this notice:

''Your listing didn't follow our Fee avoidance policy. Avoiding eBay fees is not allowed, whether intentional or not. Sellers attempting to avoid eBay fees create risk for themselves and a poor experience for buyers.
What activity didn't follow the policy
Please understand that you stated ''Offers are not welcome'' in your listing. Sellers are not permitted to ask members to make an offer without using the ''Best Offer'' feature provided by eBay. Offers can only be solicited in listings with the Best Offer feature which is available only with a Buy it Now listing. If you wish to invite buyers to make an offer, you need to opt for the ''Best Offer'' feature in your listing.''

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Aug 2 10:29:18 2020

WTH ? ! ? !
Between Etsy and Ebay,
If I did any of their illegal activities,  I'd be in prison.
Equal Justice ! ! !

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 2 11:24:55 2020

@ZZ

Yep. I dont have best offer on my listings. But manage to get one once in a while. Last one was great. I went way for a few days, and this guy sent me about 5 messages. I told him I was away. Continued with messages. then somehow sent me a make offer message on an item I am out of stock on. I just finally blocked him when I had access to a pc.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Aug 2 20:33:43 2020

Off Topic:

Went to revise a listing that has shipping at 16 oz. 1st class package.

The revision I was adding was a number in the text body of the listing,when I hit submit a warning came up telling me:

"It looks like there's a problem with this listing.

Invalid value provided for Weight Minor. Enter a value between 0 and 15 oz"

So now anything over 15 oz is Priority not 15.9 oz.?

by: ox-mix This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 02:39:22 2020

My understanding is that instead of 50 free listings per month each seller now gets 200 free listings. If someone could confirm it that would be appreciated. If true, what I'm wondering now is will there be any more free listing promos? Sometimes, not too often, but sometimes they would have 500 free listing promos. I wonder if those are a thing of the past now.

by: Ladygray This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 09:22:05 2020

I'm starting to list elsewhere. Ebay over complicates things.

by: billslistings This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 12:14:30 2020

I received 200 on 2 of my users.
I received 200 plus 50 on 3 of my users.
I'm only using one of my users at this time as it's the only one that is still with PayPal.
One of my users was offered $50 to sign up and I did but haven't used it yet.
The other 3 are in limbo as I didn't sign them up yet, (Waiting for the $150 offer some seller got).
Not sure why folks are complaining about giving GreedBay their bank info.
It's the same info they had to give to PayPal when they signed up for them.
I have one bank account attached to PP and now the same one with mangled payments.
That's as far as either one of the company's can go.
They can't reach my other 3 accounts or ANY credit/debit cards.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Aug 3 12:35:46 2020

@billslistings

My "starter" store had 100 free listings, now it has 250

My "basic" store had 250 free listings, now it has 350

If a standard account no store gets 250 why am I paying $5 a month for a starter store???

by: billslistings This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 13:02:44 2020

Good point toolguy.
Never had a store, never wanted one.
I keep about 100 to 200 listings going.
A lot of them are re-lists for a few times then they go to swap meets and flea markets.
Everything I have is also on C/L.
I don't list anything on GreedBay that doesn't net me $20 minimum.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 13:23:51 2020

@billslistings

I think the reason that sellers do not want to give Ebay their banking information is that Ebay has definitely been hacked at least once and I would not doubt that it has happened other times.  But with the reaction to the first time from Sellers, Buyers and even the public in general I highly doubt that they will ever admit to it happening again if it did or does.

Most people trust Paypal overall and I do not remember them having been hacked as they use different protocols for their programming than Ebay does as they have to answer to banking regulations.  The difference in trust levels for Paypal and Ebay by most sellers is night and day and if I do ever give them my banking information, it will be a brand new account that is not connected to any of my other personal accounts in any way.

I personally do not trust the programming that Ebay has gotten from their offshore hires that is never checked by Ebay prior to being installed on the platform.  Who knows how many back doors there are that can be used by these programmers. I also do not trust Ebay to not sell that information to anybody or any country willing to pay for it as they only think about the short term gains and never about the long term effects of what they do.

by: billslistings This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 15:29:21 2020

Well Silver Ice King, I think you might want to dig a hole in the side of a mountain and live off the land.
That way you won't need to be afraid, very afraid, of something that might happen.
PayPal safe?
Google "PayPal horror stories".
For that matter, Google any company "horror stories", Amazon, eBay, Esty, Walmart, Microsoft, Apple, Any company you've done business with or will in the future.
I am cautious and try to be safe in all aspects of life, but I'm not going to live in the fear that no one can be trusted.

by: Vigilant Eye On eBay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 15:38:19 2020

@billslistings

Re: ''Not sure why folks are complaining about giving GreedBay their bank info.  It's the same info they had to give to PayPal when they signed up for them.''

A longtime user who has earned buyer payment hold protection status (i.e., even from eBay), PayPal does not possess any bank or credit card information for either my accounts

All of my fund transfers and payments are made with a PayPal debit card.

Given that I earn substantial cash back credit awards on a monthly basis by simply using a PayPal debit card, whenever possible (i.e., which is 99% of the time), my payments and purchases are consummated through pinless transactions.