Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon June 29 2020 09:49:20

Why the Secrecy about eBay Managed Payment Fees?

eBay published a post this morning about Managed Payments. When it came to fees, it stated, "For sellers, that means an end to third-party payment processing fees, since they'll only have to pay one final value fee for items sold" - though that statement fails to mention the 30-cent per transaction fee eBay will charge sellers.

We've been unable to find the new fees posted publicly, though eBay sent them to sellers who will be impacted and published some examples on this thread on the eBay seller discussion board.

Today's post linked to a landing page where eBay states the following:

Saving on Every Transaction
After enrolling in managed payments, DetroitAxle owner Mike Musheinish says the biggest benefit to his business is the savings on the payment processing fees on each transaction. "Anywhere we could save, eBay's helping us do it," he says.

However, that's from October 18, 2018 when the fee structure was very different from the new structure eBay switched to this year. (Musheinish references the 30-cent per-transaction fee he had been paying to PayPal that eBay said he would not have to pay - see the video eBay links to hosted on Vimeo.)

The Managed Payments fee structure has evolved over time:

In 2018, eBay announced Managed Payments fees of 2.7% and no transaction fee.

In 2019, eBay announced it would impose a per-listing fee of 25 cents (unlike the industry-standard per-transaction fee, eBay would charge a 25-cent fee for each different item on a customer order).

In 2020, eBay announced it would roll payment processing fees into final value (commission) fees (plus the 30-cent per transaction fee) - muddying the waters.

We'd like to give sellers the opportunity to answer the following questions:

- When will you be required to participate in Managed Payments?

- Do you know the fees you'll be paying?

- Do you understand how the new Managed Payments fees compare to the fees you were paying before joining Managed Payments?

This is a complicated rollout, we're eager to hear what sellers are hearing from eBay and what their experiences are thusfar.

Perminate Link for Why the Secrecy about eBay Managed Payment Fees?   Why the Secrecy about eBay Managed Payment Fees?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jun 29 10:26:45 2020

I want to know how much eBay paid Mike Musheinish to say "Anywhere we could save, eBay's helping us do it."

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 29 10:32:11 2020

eBay just keeps reminding me that I have to sign up by July 15th or I won't be able to list.

I still have 14+ days to decide.

I can't wait to see all the excitement posted here after a good portion of us have been forced into MP.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Mon Jun 29 10:59:51 2020

What difference does it make what ebay says 'today.' I'd be more concerned with tomorrow. After everyone is forced over there will be a short grace period until ebay's payment monopoly is secure. Then the inevitable greed will kick in and the increase in fees and money grabs will go through the roof.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 29 11:11:07 2020

My deadline is July 15th for July 20th activation. Waiting for my 4th reminder to sign up.
My initial understanding was that the fee in my category would be 12.15% + 30 cents.
My latest understanding has it at 11.5% + 30 cents.
I'd be curious as to what those currently enrolled in MP are paying and in what category.

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 29 11:35:29 2020

- When will you be required to participate in Managed Payments?
The end of July. As of June 29, eBay still has not provided me with a specific date.

- Do you know the fees you'll be paying?
Nope. I know the percentages, sure, but not exactly how it will be executed, which will effect the actual amount of the fees significantly. For example, will the fee be assessed on sales tax? Most sources (including the MP terms) say yes, but I spoke to at least one eBay representative that said no. If it will be assessed on the tax, will eBay continue to commit tax fraud by charging the highest tax rate in a buyer's 5-digit zip code rather than the actual tax rate to the buyer's address? This has not been an issue over the past month or two, but does that mean it's fixed, or have I just been lucky? Is the foreign transaction fee 1.65% or 4.65% (1.65% + 3%)? Some have said the seller pays the 3%, others said the buyer pays the 3%. If the seller pays both, the increase for foreign fees is over 300% versus the current PayPal rate! Will eBay take the entire fee off the top (as PayPal currently does), or will I be invoiced (as eBay currently does). This actually effects the price I pay, because I always get 2% cash back on my credit card when paying my eBay fees. If eBay "skims" it off the top, I will no longer get that. Again, eBay has given mixed messages about how that will work. I have raised all my prices by 6%, which should cover the worst-case scenario, but is also cutting into my sales. I hope to be able to reduce prices in the event that even a portion of my questions are answered in my favor, but am not counting on it.

Not entirely (see above answer), but it is difficult to imagine that most transactions will have lower fees (as eBay states). Yes, a domestic transaction in a state with no sales tax (or where eBay doesn't collect and I personally am exempt) will have SLIGHTLY less fees. However, that includes sales to only a few states, and none of them being states I do a particularly high amount of business to. Most (if not all) transactions with sales tax involved will have higher fees, some of them SUBSTANTIALLY higher. Although I do not ship outside the U.S. (too many lost packages and USPS denials of insurance claims, but that's another story...) I do occasionally get international buyers that ship to U.S. forwarding addresses. Given that I sell to an international buyer having me ship to an address with high sales tax that eBay collects and I am not able to pay those fees with a credit card, my fees (in the worst-case scenario, which I am the first to admit, will only be a very small portion of my sales) will be 29.9% higher than they are now. For example, on a $100 sale with a 13.5% sales tax sold to an international buyer, I would currently pay $15.09 in fees, which includes eBay fees, PayPal fees, and deducts the credit card cash back I would get when paying the eBay fees on that transaction. The new fee on that same transaction (at least with the assumptions listed above, most, if not all of which, I have received mixed messages on), would be $19.60. To contrast the worst fee increase of 29.9%, the absolute best savings would be roughly 4%.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 29 11:57:19 2020

We don't have time to argue over something that ebay is going to do. Their playground. Play or Leave. Like the poster above we have just increased all listings by 10 percent and added a 1.00 shipping charge to everything. If things get to far out of hand we will just increase the prices. If people don't like the prices, the last time I looked there was a back button on the screen.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 29 12:01:41 2020

...... its called Bait & Switch .... and its (yet another) CRIME.

Promise 1 fee structure, get people to sign up - then switch it to something else entirely .... and claim "you are the good guys" .... (al capone was a good guy to - he brought liquor back to Chicago)

5,4,3,2,1 ... enter the eBay cheerleaders ..

"but but its eBays business, they can do as they please - if you dont like it then leave". Dopes.

I guess he/she/they dont understand "we are just a venue" (said under oath), nor do they understand the black letter law on charging the seller a FVF on collecting sales tax when its supposed to be ON THE BUYER and a whole lot more!

Yes, for some reason sellers are being FORCED into a payments plan they DONT want.

Paypal (with all its faults) worked just fine - and (in my case) I had another ally to fend off the rabid dog known as eBay with its mafia tactics (while I wont my last case, it did let my buyer open no less then 3 cases against me for the same thing - even though the brain dead buyer admitted 1) they filed INR but admitted they got the item 2) used parts from the item on another non eBay item and broke them.

I dont want eBay in my business and its coercion and collusion to force sellers into a program they dont want.

Thats why I LOVE MERCARI.

Walk into Macys - they dont FORCE you to only pay by Visa, you can pay by Amex, MC, check, debit card or (hold on to your seats) CASH.

LMFAO "Small business lives (IN FEAR) here (on eBay).

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 29 13:53:50 2020

Strange how everyone claims bait and switch or some other reason. Ebay should be sued. Maybe right maybe wrong BUT WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT instead of crying all the time. If Ebay is so wrong all the time than one would think that their would be someone out there smart enough to sue them. Don't use money as an excuse as that is your way out. So come on people someone sue them if not quit whining.

This user has validated their user name. by: Covid-20

Mon Jun 29 14:13:34 2020

"๐๐š๐œ๐ž" ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐œ๐ซ๐ฒ๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐ก๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฏ๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ ๐ฉ๐จ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ฌ. ๐‰๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฉ ๐จ๐ง ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐จ ๐š๐ง๐จ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฅ๐ข๐ฉ๐š๐ ๐ข๐Ÿ ๐ข๐ญ'๐ฌ ๐ญ๐จ๐จ ๐ฆ๐ฎ๐œ๐ก ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž๐š๐ซ.
๐˜๐ž๐š๐ก, ๐ข๐ญ'๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐ฒ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ž ๐š ๐œ๐จ๐ซ๐ฉ๐จ๐ซ๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐œ๐ก ๐š๐ฌ ๐„๐›๐š๐ฒ. ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ ๐จ๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐š๐ฌ๐ก?
๐ˆ ๐ฎ๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ๐ญ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐ก๐จ๐ฅ๐ž "๐ƒ๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ข๐ซ ๐ ๐š๐ฆ๐ž?, ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐ฅ๐ž๐š๐ฏ๐ž!" ๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ, ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐š๐ ๐ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฅ๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ข๐ซ ๐ž๐ฑ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐จ๐ง๐ฌ ๐จ๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฏ๐ข๐ฅ๐ž ๐ซ๐š๐ง๐œ๐ข๐ ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐š๐ง๐ฒ ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐ฅ๐ž ๐ก๐ž'๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ซ๐ฒ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐จ ๐ž๐ง๐ฅ๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ๐ž๐ง ๐จ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐ฌ, ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ - ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ'๐ฌ ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐ข๐.
๐๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  "๐–๐ซ๐จ๐ง๐ " ๐›๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ ๐๐จ๐ž๐ฌ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ง๐ž๐œ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ๐š๐ซ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ซ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ฅ๐ž๐œ๐ญ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐๐จ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐  "๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ฅ".
๐‡๐จ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ, ๐ˆ ๐ƒ๐Ž ๐š๐ ๐ซ๐ž๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ฅ ๐œ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐š๐›๐ฌ๐จ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐›๐ž ๐๐ซ๐ž๐๐ ๐ž๐ ๐ฎ๐ฉ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ฌ๐ž ๐œ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฐ๐ง๐ฌ ๐ข๐Ÿ ๐๐ฎ๐  ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐จ ๐๐ž๐ž๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ. ๐๐ž๐ซ๐ก๐š๐ฉ๐ฌ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ง . . .
๐’๐“๐€๐‹๐Š๐ˆ๐๐† ๐€ ๐‚๐Ž๐”๐๐‹๐„ ๐ˆ๐ ๐“๐‡๐„๐ˆ๐‘ ๐‘๐„๐’๐ˆ๐ƒ๐„๐๐“๐ˆ๐€๐‹ ๐‚๐Ž๐Œ๐Œ๐”๐๐ˆ๐“๐˜ ๐…๐‘๐Ž๐Œ ๐‚๐‹๐„๐€๐‘ ๐€๐‚๐‘๐Ž๐’๐’ ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐‚๐Ž๐”๐๐“๐‘๐˜?  ๐“๐ก๐ž๐ง, ๐ญ๐ซ๐š๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ ๐š๐Ÿ๐š๐ซ ๐ญ๐จ ๐๐จ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ง ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ๐จ๐ง ๐ข๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ข๐ซ ๐จ๐ฐ๐ง ๐›๐š๐œ๐ค๐ฒ๐š๐ซ๐? ๐Œ๐š๐ฒ๐›๐ž ๐ฌ๐ž๐ง๐๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ฆ ๐ฉ๐š๐œ๐ค๐š๐ ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ข๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฆ๐š๐ข๐ฅ ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐ญ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ข๐›๐ฅ๐ž ๐š๐ญ๐ซ๐จ๐œ๐ข๐ญ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ?
๐–๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐˜๐Ž๐”๐‘ ๐›๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐ ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐๐ฌ ๐ญ๐จ ๐š ๐ง๐ฎ๐› ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐จ๐ , ๐ƒ๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž ๐›๐š๐œ๐ค ๐จ๐ง ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ ๐ซ๐ข๐ฉ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ข๐œ๐ž๐ฌ ๐›๐ฒ ๐Ÿ”๐ŸŽ%

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Mon Jun 29 14:16:04 2020

All I was told was the end of July, but since I can't join it doesn't matter anyway. Just riding out the good sales I've been having since the beginning of the year, then August it will be holiday time. I'll need a month to figure out if I want to spend so much time doing this. I didn't intend for it to become a full time job, but it did.

With my hubby at home now, I think we'll do a lot more us time in our new trailer.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 29 17:34:52 2020

BUT WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT instead of crying all the time

1) the cost of suing them is way more then what I could ever get out of eBay in sales

2) im purely stating fact (or opinions to some) - I never advocated suing eBay

3) even if I won - unless I got millions (which I wouldnt), I get page 25 on any item I sold, because the evil heartless theiveing company that always talks about small business living somewhere (in their small brains) would put me there for revenge.

Im on course to have to do it by July 15 or I wont be able to list - just like most here.

Ina is %100 right - if you have millions of sellers and only 30K are in teh program - you have some cajones to claim that its the future of the company (that IS what they tell Wall Street) - PLUS why are so few people in it?

Of course the Chinese and the big brands/sellers dont have to - its used mostly as "pest control", since we smaller seller need to be monitored and controled - because we are vermin (but like all good vampires they still need to feed).

Have you see (so far) the "millions" of sellers in it come here (or anywhere else) and speak its praises? No you havent.

The overarching question is - why force your sellers into it to start with? And ho wis it legal to FORCE people into a program like this (against their will).

I again point to any OTHER established business - they dont force you to do anything.

Go to Target - they dont force you to ONLY use their Red Dot CC. You can pay any way you want to.

Why cant I still use Paypal? Is it because eBay and Paypal promised each other a certain percentage "of the business" when they split? Your DAMN STRAIGHT it is - and thats NOT MY FAULT OR MY BUSINESS.

I have roughly 2 weeks until Im kicked dragging and screaming into the new eBay hell - and after they illegally do their shtick - Ill find out (when an issue arises) what they REAL downside to it all is.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Mon Jun 29 17:50:14 2020

The 6 ebay employees arrested for stalking, threatening and sending vile things didn't do that out of thin air. They exemplify ebay's noxious culture. MP will be no different when the grace period ends.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 29 18:12:16 2020

โ€œ... quit whining.โ€

Too much โ€œnoiseโ€ to tolerate? Sounds familiar.

Is litigation then, the only way to show โ€˜validityโ€™ of dissent? Thatโ€™s a common tactic when thereโ€™s no argument to be made against the truth - all thatโ€™s left is to try and discredit the witness. Happens a lot in litigation too, ironically.

Maybe itโ€™s a matter of tolerance. Then again, thatโ€™s wholly a subjective thing, isnโ€™t it? Who gets to define what that โ€˜shouldโ€™ be, despite eBayโ€™s insistence in trying?

And what will you have to say then, when your โ€˜limits of toleranceโ€™ for eBayโ€™s unarguably true malfeasance du jour breaches YOUR particular threshold, and such is belittled, and judged โ€˜invalidโ€™ by those (inexplicably) still willing to take eBayโ€™s hot poker up the wazoo?

What eBay is doing here, is nothing short of compelling their โ€˜partnerโ€™ to sign a contract before being allowed to read it. In fact, theyโ€™ve not even finished writing it yet. Thatโ€™s why itโ€™s so โ€˜fluidโ€™ - so different for each who already blindly left. Why nobody can seem to nail down what it will be. Why eBay refuses to define it.

What even there MAY be - that all will be compelled to tolerate. And, according to some, in silence, no less.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Jun 29 19:33:09 2020

They know it's unpopular but don't want to lose face.  Typical third world attitude.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 29 23:55:45 2020

Because they have something to hide.

If it was a positive, the corporate mouthpieces would make sure everyone knows about it.

They cannot be trusted. Their actions have affirmed it. Every seller has reason to be concerned.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Jun 30 10:20:18 2020

I wonder how many other people are getting the big red warning when the sign in these days. Uh oh....better do it before the 15th.

Bite me.

by: walkabout This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 30 22:09:43 2020

Maybe it isn't necessarily the 'new members' joining MP and informed or being happy, but the numbers just being there. Some newer BOD members and their respective 'sponsors' might expect increased benefits in a possible sale of ebay, What with a reasonable percentage of the payment processor then being included in the portfolio, I would think it might enhance the selling price, should that be a consideration.

by: toastedmutt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 1 14:27:52 2020

In managed payments here.

Recent eBay invoice:

Monthly sales $7,337.45

eBay monthly invoice print out shows under the heading "Payment processing, fees, dispute fees and credits" the following:

Payments Processing Fees $198.14

Before the coming per-transaction fee is instituted.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 00:54:37 2020

when does it start? middle of july

what will my fees be? somewhere around 15%, which is about what i pay now. not sure what this extra fee for international transactions is, or whether it will apply to the global shipping program.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 2 02:15:35 2020

Sellers that are currently in MP or those that have registered to go in later this month have always had access to the policies that spell out the new Simplified Fees.

@ebayout

If you are planning to move forward with MP, delaying the registration gains you nothing.  Your date of entry will still be later this month.  But it does get you access to the written polices and the dedicated MP board on the forums, which may help you to answer some questions.

The Simplified fee for whatever category you sell is is really easy to figure out.  It will be as follows.

2.9% Money processing fee
10.00% Current FVF in Ebay
-0.55% Reduction in FVF.
12.35%

This formula will follow true for any category you sell in and if you have a store or not.  So whatever rate you are currently paying, change that 10% above to be that, then recalculate and you will have what your Simplified Fee will be in MP.

Members currently in MP will also be changing over to Simplified Fees later this month.  There will be just one set of rules for everyone.