Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue May 26 2020 16:46:46

Five Key Things to Know about eBay Managed Payments

eBay's latest podcast covered the topic of Managed Payments today. There are five key takeaways for sellers, but one important topic was not covered at all.

Despite the fact some sellers fear their livelihood could be harmed over eBay Managed Payments category restrictions, employees on a Q&A session today skipped the issue altogether.

eBay currently excludes sellers who are enrolled in Managed Payments from selling in certain categories, including bullion, motor vehicles, and adult only items (including movies and video games). Sellers have been voicing their concerns that they may end up unable to sell certain items once eBay requires them to enroll in the program.

In episode #92 of the eBay for Business podcast recorded on May 21st and published on May 26th, James "Griff" Griffith interviewed Nidhi Gupta from the eBay Managed Payments team.

Griffith asked Gupta if the Global Shipping Program was currently supported in Managed Payments (the answer was yes), and whether it supported "eBay for Charity" (the answer: "Charity and donations will be supported when eBay manages payments starting end of July").

eBay had previously addressed those questions, however, there were some points covered during the interview that may be news to readers:

- Sellers won't be required to use Immediate Payment once they're enrolled in Managed Payments; sellers can still send buyers an invoice through eBay if they choose.

- Sellers enrolled in Managed Payments can issue refunds for full amounts or partial amounts, by item or on the full order.

- eBay will continue to offer buyers the option of submitting disputes and claims through the resolution center, but with Managed Payments, the resolution is centralized so sellers have "end-to-end visibility" into the claims and disputes process, and they're all being managed exclusively by eBay.

- Sellers in Managed Payments must ship once an order appears as "awaiting shipment." They should not wait for the funds to appear in their bank account.

- Sellers can use their pending payouts (disbursements) to pay for shipping labels on the eBay platform, and they'll also still be able to use their PayPal account. Sellers can select the default funding method.

We're not sure why the eBay employees chose to skip the question sellers have been asking about managed payments' category exclusions. You can listen to the podcast on this page of the eBay website.

Perminate Link for Five Key Things to Know about eBay Managed Payments   Five Key Things to Know about eBay Managed Payments

by: buffalochick This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 26 17:44:08 2020

You forgot. You will love Mangled Payments, you have no other choice. You bend over or you leave. The most important point of all. Ebay now controls every single aspect of YOUR business. Time to move on.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue May 26 20:21:20 2020

"Sellers in Managed Payments must ship once an order appears as 'awaiting shipment.'" That sounds like everyone is expected to have a one day handling time.

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 26 20:36:51 2020

I was told that the Charity program was (at least temporarily) being suspended.  I was told that all of my charity listings would be automatically opted out  on July 20.  Now they're continuing the program?!?!  I have been given so many conflicting pieces of information from eBay about this Managed Payments rollout.  I had been entering the word "charity" on all of my charity listings, both to draw buyers' attention, but also so that I could search my listings easily to find which listings are part of the program since there is no filter in Seller Hub to do so.  Just in the past day or two, I have been removing my notation from listing titles and descriptions, but leaving listings active in the program.  That would have been fine if everything was going to be opted out in less than two months.  However, now I am not able to search those items to see how much money I have allotted for donations.  I basically like the charity program and did not want it to end.  However, I just wish that eBay could ONCE make a statement and STICK TO IT!  Now I need to go through 425 listings (it will be closer to 900 in a few days) to check which ones are charity listings and put the notation back on.  It's no way to run a business when you can't rely on a SINGLE piece of information you're given - from fees, to policies, to the charity program.

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 26 20:37:38 2020

@iheartjacksparrow
I thought the same thing!  In fact, I already contacted eBay through Twitter about that issue as well!

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 27 07:43:47 2020

At the end of the day, you’re all screwed. They use a controlled bleed. Once you get out, you realize how bad it is, when you’re in it, there’s so much smoke and mirrors you can’t see what’s really going on.. best to all, especially with mismanaged payments

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 27 08:55:09 2020

Short version.....They do not know......Anything for sure! .....Everything is subject to change!........At any time!!!!...And most likely will be if ebay finds it will make them money!

Just like the early adopter exemption to the per item transaction fee!

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 27 12:11:05 2020

ebay being "just a venue" is like a one-way street with 1 express lane and 2 lanes with speed bumps.

by: redcabin This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 27 13:06:24 2020

lessthanthreerecords.  You can use the "custom label" space in the listing page to add notes. I use it for showing the weight & box size of item I'm listing. Then you can customize Seller Hub Active Listings to show Custom Label column and all your Charity notes will show. You can edit them right there on the Active listings page.

by: bd greatbuys This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 27 13:35:14 2020

so that means if we set up my account only for Require immediate payment with Buy It Now option i will hry my accont?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 27 17:29:43 2020

Five key things to know about eBay Managed Payments

1) With MP fully implemented, eBay now has %100 control over YOUR business- despite their statements otherwise

2) your “partner” will give you your money less then cut (what ever they decide it should be) when ever they feel like it

3) any interest they do make will go to Walkers and not to you

4) eBay will use it as a way to hold funds if there’s a dispute- and now as a seller you will be going from having the deck %99 against you, to %99.9 against you.

5) the buffoon known as The Grifter will be no where to be found if you need any “seller protection “ aka the swindle of the century

Yeh and 6) eBay is still the USA’s largest crime syndicate currently operating today

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 00:34:15 2020

This does NOT require one-day handling - you have the option to disburse your payouts once a day or once a week to your bank account - this leaves plenty of time for a more than one day handling.  I plan to stick with two days.

The only thing that bothered me about this was the sloppy pass-through about the non-supported items.  This is a BIG deal to a pretty sizable sector of sellers on eBay. I really feel like these podcasts are just sops thrown at us with little preparation and a lot of marketing. This happened with the 'town hall' when two questions which had gotten a LOT of input from sellers were simply glanced over with (on the screwed up item specifics in Fashion) ''yeah, we missed on the plus sizing but we fixed that'' (the entire scheme was a mess and still is pretty bad) then onto more spin and marketing.

Sloppy - if they don't know, just say so.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu May 28 01:34:36 2020

@pace306

7) you will continue to sell there just like I will. . . . .

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 02:29:46 2020

I see a lot of horror stories about managed payments from sellers who are NOT in managed payments.  Well I HAVE been in managed payments in one of my stores for almost a year, and I have had NO problems with it.  Payments show up in my checking account (opened exclusively for that purpose) in a day or two.  I'm very happy with MP.
Before you decide to jump off eBay because of impending inclusion into MP perhaps you should consult others who are already there.  And those who are not in MP should just shut up since you don't know what you are talking about

by: wrslss1222 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 06:17:57 2020

OK Sellers, I have been in Managed Payments from the start.  Yes, there were bumpy roads for a while but all problems seemed to have been fixed and it is running smoothly.  I say "seemed to have been fixed" because eBay has their periodic glitches.  Next, I am hearing sellers are ready to "jump ship".  My response to that is before you "jump ship" investigate other sites to see what people are charging for the items you sell and look at their feedback.  I have been selling on eBay for years.  During this time while selling on eBay I tried selling the same type of items on other sites (that's including Amazon).  I found that at first selling on other sites seemed to be better.  Then after a few months sales slowed down.  So, I have determined that for the items that I sell eBay is my best option.  And by the way, I have over 9,400 Positive Feedback.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 07:26:29 2020

Paul - I'm glad it is working out for you. Ayden is working for me on Etsy - but I think the problem is Ebay doesn't have it's sh*t together. They've had 2 yrs to fix the glitches with only 20,000 enrolled and now are enrolling hundreds of thousands of sellers and the problems still exist - so it doesn't look good and I'm anticipating more problems because of how they are rolling this out. They should have worked on the problems and gradually enrolled different groups.

The other problem is trusting Ebay with our information and funds. I've completely lost trust in Ebay. In my over 20 yrs as a seller, I've heard more lies, seen less transparency, encountered more problems and have wasted more time on this platform than any other.

The issue alone of them not allowing anyone, unless already enrolled in managed payments, to ask questions and find out more about managed payments gives one pause. We've tried to get someone from Managed Payments to come to one of the Weekly Chats for months now and have had no success. Seldom do you see moderators on the Managed payments board answering questions - it's Ebay sellers talking to each other trying to figure out issues.

Don't fault other posters for being fearful especially when Ebay has not been open and honest throughout this whole process. I had great hopes for Managed payments but have done a lot of research these past 2 years to see the acceptance of Apple pay and google pay are not really game changers - most people use PP or credit cards so the increase , if any , in sales will be minimal due to having more payment processors. What it comes down to is $$$$ for Ebay as there are few benefits for sellers like they originally tried to sell this as.

by: tcpjs This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 07:32:37 2020

''Sellers enrolled in Managed Payments can issue refunds for full amounts or partial amounts, by item or on the full order. ''

But will ebay refund fees for the full or partial refund amount? Currently, eBay only refunds their FVF's if a full refund is made by cancelling the sale altogether. They do not refund their FVF's on partial refunds. Currently Paypal does not refund fees on any payments they process, whether refunded partially or in full. Where will eBay MP land on this issue once FVF's and payment processing are rolled up into one fee?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 08:17:22 2020

Tool

You are right but 8) I still do more on other sites then eBay aka eBay has done nothing to improve the site in 10+ yrs (since the listings are for the same goods)

9) I will continue to bad mouth them and try to drive their stock value down

10) some times you just have no choice but to deal with crooks - as distasteful as it is. “You aren’t going to move out of CA because Gavin Nonesense” is the gov. “ you will move maybe because of the taxes etc, not because they have tax money to illegal aliens. Ie it’s”not enough”.

by: walkinwillie This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 08:22:53 2020

While I would prefer to have the current arrangement I can hardly fault eBay for instituting the Managed Payments program as they are fools to leave that money sitting on the table. I have been selling on eBay since 1997 and remember the days when they would shutdown the site in the wee hours of Thursday mornings in order to re-index their databases and PayPal was in its infancy. I have seen a lot of changes - some good like a much more reliable infrastructure and some bad like ever increasing fees. But now that eBay and PayPal are split up it is only natural for eBay to want that 3% that PayPal is getting.

I rarely come on these boards, much less comment as there is way too much negativity with some posters doing nothing but complaining ad nauseum all the time. I guess it is cathartic for some. But after 23 plus years of selling on eBay, it is doing the best for me that it has ever done. It is not my full time job because if it was I would spend a whole lot more time on my website trying to generate sales - so in my current situation I cannot find a better platform to sell. Yes, I give them feedback on occasion and it is fairly mixed when I do.

I understand a poster submitting a complaint once in a long while but I see the same people over and over complaining and it makes me think that their energies could be better spent trying to sell their stuff. Whatever - need to go list some stuff.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu May 28 10:48:21 2020

@pace306

Actually the main reason I'll be moving to Arizona in 2021 is California's firearm laws!

I'm tired of being told what I can and can't own even though 49 other states allow the item to be purchased California has decided that for our own safety we can't own modern handguns. (Designs that came after 2013) and by putting funny looking pistol grips, fixed stocks & magazines makes the firearm less dangerous. You know what I'm talking about, New Jersey is a pretty anti gun state!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu May 28 10:50:29 2020

@walkinwillie

Don't be a stranger, we need more positive posters here :-)