Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Mar 30 2020 23:50:54

eBay New Seller Promo and What's Hot on eBay

eBay will announce a seller promotion this week for non-Store subscribers, according to eBay Vice President of Seller Operations and Engagement Marni Levine.

eBay is currently running a promotion for Store subscribers giving them 50,000 additional free listings each month in March and April, while the new promos will cover non-Store subscribers.

On Monday, Levine said, "We have promotions for non-Store subscribers coming up this week, our consumer sellers, and then we're also looking at ways to bring on a lot of the struggling brick-and-mortar stores online to eBay through special programs."

She also gave examples of items that are selling well, including items in the Games category, home gym equipment, and office equipment.

eBay executive Jordan Sweetnam also did a seller check-in on March 27th. He was asked what eBay headquarters in San Jose was like now that many employees are working from home.

"The campus is very quiet, there's really not many people there," he said. "The only people there are mission-critical in our technology organization just to make sure eBay is up and running. Employees almost around the world now are working from home."

In discussing the current lack of phone support, Sweetnam said, "The transition of moving our teammates from Austin and Salt Lake to work from home is tricky."

He said it was actually quite complicated to allow a customer service teammate to unplug from the office and do all the things they're doing from home. "The earthquake in Salt Lake City last week didn't make it any easier for our teammates out there," he said.

He advised customers to try email support - email response times are hours, not weeks, he said. He also suggested the self-help area as well - you can even get fees refunded, he said. However, while it's available in the US, it's not yet available in Australia or the UK.

In Levine's seller check-in today, she said traffic was coming to the site and advised sellers to keep listing.

Perminate Link for eBay New Seller Promo and What's Hot on eBay   eBay New Seller Promo and What's Hot on eBay

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 07:46:50 2020

The best selling items on Greedbay are face masks and rubber gloves. There is one Chinese seller who has a total of 51 identical auctions for face masks. Half of which if you click on them Greedbay says that the page is gone. The other half are still selling them. A box of 20 which is 10 pairs is currently going for 39.99 and up depending what auction is available. Rubber gloves are listed by the 100's. So greedbay lies when they say they are not allowing scalping or price gouging. Its always about the bottom line with the fools in the house of elites.

by: 1st Armored Division 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 10:53:03 2020

There is a reason I call. Self help does not give me the response I need.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 11:24:25 2020

Wow - I can't believe they even put out a statement.  Much like our government - no on is at the helm. The earthquake in SLC? Really? there's you excuse? It didn't even happen in SLC. Here's the whole thing in a nutshell - ebay is in deep dodo.  They shipped all the  jobs to the Philippines - well most - employees here don't want to show up. America is in a melt down.  I de-listed 500+ items and changed my subscription back to basic. That will keep all my work intact for 90 days. Should they look like the are going bye bye in unsold I'll simply relist - not - then save the draft. Who knows how long this crisis is going to go on. I sure as hell wasn't going to keep pumping money into ebay while we all die and starve.

I'm pretty sure the talking heads at eBay are thinking "Oh shite"

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Tue Mar 31 12:49:14 2020

The Philippines is on lockdown meaning ebay CS is on lockdown.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 31 14:57:39 2020

While I see some Chinese sellers trying to get in on the price gouging of necessary items, I have found there are far more USA sellers doing it.  FAR more !!!

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 10:12:37 2020

Is that the company line for this week, Americans are price gouging but the glorious Chinese are not?

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 12:59:37 2020

Marie always sees and knows things the rest of us peons don't.
Don't you know that by now?

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 13:01:42 2020

Ina, I don't know who's running the circus at ebay right now, but both stores subscribers AND non stores have received TWO identical promo offers yesterday for 200 FP or Auction listings good until April 30th.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 16:57:12 2020

would love to use some of those 500 listings for auctions. Will not use for GTC fixed price. When the promo is over I dont want them relisting and getting charged.

We need an inbetween store...I need about 1400 listings, not 1000, and not 10,000.
Will not subscribe for a anchor store when I only need about 400 more listings.

It's your loss ebay. I have stuff on other websites I would love to list on ebay. but the listings are free on other websites. so.......why dont you join in on the year 2020 and the trends.

It's amazing how the other sites have so many more non professional casual sellers than ebay. I didnt understand it until I though of the listing fees. So they make FV fee's, soon transaction fee's, store fee's, and listing fee's? WOW. Fee'd to death.

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 20:49:19 2020

There's a good reason some call it Feebay lol

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 2 04:26:14 2020

Yes, eBay has traffic. 13 of my 22 items have watchers. One item has 9 watchers! But nobody has bought from me on eBay in 3+ weeks!

by: DevilishlySarky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 2 05:36:14 2020

Trouble is , no one is going to buy Hawaiian shirts ,or barbeques at times like this .
Unless you are into a required item - who is realistically going to buy a new sweatshirt when they are not only self isolating , but not going to a bar , or the cinema ,especially as they are short of cash and trying to pay the rent ?
If you do buy something , can it be delivered , will that birthday prezzie arrive in time?
EBAY just fiddles while Rome burns in the background , this is a time for stability , not bloody change
Sometimes I wonder if any of these idiots ever graduated school at all

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 2 08:26:28 2020

@Marie

You do realize that a lot of the sellers listing California or New Jersey are chinese sellers. Or maybe you don't. Most of the sellers gouging on Masks are Chinese listings either from hong kong or somewhere in California. Same identical listings 100's of them from somewhere in California.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 2 09:04:36 2020

I sell handmade primitives & folk art. Many of my current listings are Easter themed (rabbits & eggs).

I know the economy sucks right now (and will probably continue to suck for the rest of this year, at least). I know there is record high unemployment due to the pandemic. And I also know that some / many people are still working ... and shopping. I just wish they'd buy what they have their eyes on!

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 6 10:28:17 2020

I have a premier store with 1000 listings and I had about 2000 listings over and above that adding $200 to the $59.99 Premier store.  That was still better than the high price of an anchor store.  But then sales dropped like led and every month I would selectively drop prices, then eventually delete.  I just got down to only 300 above my 1000 included listings and I got the notice about free listings for the last day of March and April.  I am going to put in another 200 listings and hope Ebay will continue with this promotion as long as the economy has not returned to normal.

On a happy note, my sales for the first 5 days in April are 2X more than my sales for March which was about average for March sales last year.

I think this was a wise decision on Ebay's part.  They would have lost out on my last 200 or 300 in listings (at $.10 each) and now they have the potential to make some money on those listings as do I.  It was a win win for everyone.   It's not often I agree with something Ebay does since most of what they do just benefits them and they don't seem to think about sellers.  For once they realize this is something to benefit us all. Usually they're very short-sighted.