Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Mar 25 2020 10:23:26

eBay Offers Relief to Online Sellers in US and UK

eBay provided more details today to US sellers on its offer to defer (delay, not suspend) selling fees for 30 days in response to the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.

Meanwhile, a reader found a page on the eBay UK website where it was offering a payment holiday for its sellers - a radically different approach than eBay.com.

The reader saw the following announcement on the Covid-19 update page on the eBay UK site under the "Protecting Our eBay Seller Community" section:

Protecting our eBay Seller Community:
With many small businesses struggling to keep running through the coronavirus crisis, eBay UK has pledged a major cashflow boost by offering payment holidays for all our existing sellers.

From this week, no business joining eBay UK will have to pay any fees to list or sell until 31 May 2020. Existing sellers will also benefit from a 30-day payment holiday on all fees, with a commitment to consider a further holiday at the end of April.

This move marks an urgent response to calls for additional support by UK entrepreneurs. And crucially, it provides self-employed retailers and entrepreneurs who rely on bricks and mortar stores a virtual shop window to reach eBay’s 26 million customers, without paying any fees until June.

You can find the US update on the eBay Announcement Board.

Perminate Link for eBay Offers Relief to Online Sellers in US and UK   eBay Offers Relief to Online Sellers in US and UK

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 10:36:41 2020

That's one no cost way to bump your GMV. Sounds like rough times...

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 10:40:36 2020

What???  Here's what I'm doing to avoid getting caught in any ebay fee trap (their 50,000 listing promo)  I'm listing on Mercari - it's not a perfect site. BUT it's free unless you sell something and then it's a straight 10% and THEY cover the payment processing fee.  Whoever owns that site is basically blowing it because I think they have the biggest chance of kicking eBay to the curb but there's some distinct problems over there they need to address.
I have found so many eBay sellers there these days and their talking it up on the Facebook pages.  I've sold things right off the bat and keep moving my eBay listings daily.  There's no stress involved like eBay and I'll stick around and play it out.
Ebay is soooo blowing it right now. No customer service all the while they take our money - how do you just abandon your sellers? It's ridiculous.

A friend of mine had me come over to her house yesterday to help her with a problem.  We are both 20+ year sellers on eBay. I tried - I really tried.  It took me 20 minutes just to find the option she was looking for because neither oone of us could find it. They constantly keep moving things around so you don't find it. It's ridiculous.  And when i did manage to get in (redemption code for shipping supplies) she couldn't pay because the system wouldn't accept her paypal payment.  She says call eBay. I explain to her "Nobody's home"  She insists I call anyway.  I do and I listen to the "we are gone" mission statement that's been in affect for awhile now.  She's stunned.  Welcome to the new eBay I tell her.
It's just my opinion but I don't believe they will bring back customer service. Think of all the money they will save as the site just goes to shite.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 10:42:58 2020

And once again - it is the sellers who are keeping eBay open not the corporate dudes. Just like it has been since the beginning.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 11:01:36 2020

At least some help is better than none!

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 11:03:01 2020

Better than AMZN. Their answer is leave us alone, and BTW, dont bother sending in your FBA items.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Wed Mar 25 11:51:12 2020

ebay is extending the payment due date by 30 days cause they want to get paid. Wow. Your charitable resolve during this crisis is outstanding. Way to go ebay!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Mar 25 12:32:08 2020

"You can find the US update on the eBay Announcement Board."

I CAN'T SEE IT

ACCESS NOT ALLOWED

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 12:57:07 2020

tool...use Firefox and don't sign in to ebay...

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Mar 25 13:39:37 2020

After deleting my cache & cookies I was able to access the form for relief.

I've submitted my request. . . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Mar 25 13:51:18 2020

@ebayout

That's exactly what I just did

I submitted my request for relief. . .

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 16:54:16 2020

Any help is good. I am fortunate to have been able to pay my fees, over $700. Certainly if you are able to pay your fees, you should. It is not forgiveness and you will need to pay the piper eventually. Conversely, if one has few sales, then there won't be much in fees.

I do think this is only the beginning. Good chance more sellers will need more help in 30 days. I suppose eBay is waiting to see what the government stimulus holds.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Mar 25 18:10:15 2020

I'll use part of my stimulus check to pay eBay off. . . .I just need time

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Wed Mar 25 19:22:32 2020

One thing I have done for the past few years on eBay is to pay my fees when something sells. If I get a return, oh well, money comes back. I will never get myself ever into the position where I'm not ready to jump and be gone in a millisecond.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Mar 26 01:42:46 2020

@ebayout

They can only increase their GMV if those listings actually turn into sales.  The simple act of posting a listing does NOT increase GMV.

Gross merchandise value is the total value of merchandise sold over a given period of time through a customer-to-customer exchange site. It is a measure of the growth of the business, or use of the site to sell merchandise owned by others.

value.asp

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Mar 26 01:45:58 2020

@toolguy

Are you going to qualify for a stimulus check??  It is based off your income reported on your 2018 tax return.  As I remember it you were always talking about how good your sales were.  I could be wrong as my memory doesn't always serve me well anymore.  LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Mar 26 02:29:44 2020

@Marie

We didn't make $75,000 in 2018 so we should get them.

But if we had done what a friend advised us to do ("S" corporation) instead of a sole proprietorship we might have been able to collect unemployment.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 03:38:02 2020

Marie...I know what GMV is, and I know that posting doesn't of itself increase sales.
I bet you know that ebay is betting on the come. If listings increase because of the freebies, they then have increased probability of some marginal % increase in GMV due to increased sales due to the increased listings due to the freebies...without cost to them.

This user has validated their user name. by: DeathFromAbove

Thu Mar 26 04:38:54 2020

Important to note this only applies to store subscribers in the US.

by: forhad0077 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 05:12:58 2020

Great Decision eBay! It Was Need At Such a Crucial Time.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Mar 26 10:22:17 2020

"Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has said that direct payments will be disbursed as soon as April 6, experts say that payments sooner than May are extremely unlikely."

If eBay defers the payments 30 days, and the checks don't reach people before May, that's not going to help the people counting on that money to pay for the current fees due.