Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Feb 29 2020 23:29:48

eBay Coin Seller Unnerved by Managed Payments Policy

"With hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in my coin business, it is extremely unnerving not to have any answers." That's an excerpt of an email from an EcommerceBytes reader who needs to know if eBay will expand Managed Payments to include coins before he's forced into the program.

"Most larger coin dealers have other venues to sell such as their own websites but for small or medium size dealers, eBay is the top website in the world to auction off or liquidate most coins," he told EcommerceBytes.

He's not alone in his concern about eBay Managed Payments policies that, in its current form, could be devastating for certain sellers. In addition to category exclusions, eBay also has a 25-cent per item payment processing fee that, as one seller said, was an "egregious fee increase that will eliminate high-volume, low-cost sellers."

eBay didn't address the limitations of Managed Payments in the Spring Seller Update released on Wednesday - though it did say it was expanding the program to the UK this summer.

eBay executives did address Managed Payments in Tuesday's Town Hall, and though they tried to be reassuring, there they offered no specifics in their responses.

Jordan Sweetnam, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Americas Market, addressed a question a seller had submitted in advance about Managed Payments per-item fee structure (as opposed to the retail-standard per-transaction fees other payment processors charge merchants).

Sweetnam said the question had come up during his Ask Me Anything (AMA) chat session on the boards in December. "There are places that it's going to take us time to get it right" given the number of different business models of sellers on eBay, he said. "But I see no reason why we'd be ramping payments without having a solution in place for sellers who are selling multiple items,..."

He also said, "I can't tell you today what the solution is specifically because the short answer is, we don't know. But I've definitely heard the feedback, and it's not an area where I think it makes any sense for us to be increasing fees or, certainly not putting sellers out of business. That makes no sense to me."

Marni Levine, Vice President of Seller Operations and Engagement for eBay Americas, addressed questions about Managed Payments category exclusions, saying they would all be included - though she didn't say how long it would take. "This will be 100% rolled out over time, so anything that's not included currently will be included."

Sweetnam agreed, saying there were lots of regulations, but eBay was working on all of the payments requirements - these categories, cross-border scenarios. It all takes time, but there's no incentive or reason for eBay not to support them, he said.

In the meantime, sellers like the coin seller who reached out to us are left wondering if eBay will come up with solutions before it requires them to join the Managed Payments program.

In the meantime, our reader said he reached out to NGC (Numismatic Guaranty Corporation), an eBay-approved grading service. "I know quite a few people at NGC and all were seemingly surprised," he said.

Update 3/1/2020: Note that in summarizing the Town Hall conversation above, we wrote, "In addition to category exclusions, eBay also has a 25-cent per item payment processing fee." As an alert reader below points out, that's incorrect. It's a per-listing fee.

This EcommerceBytes Blog post from July includes an explanation of the new Managed Payments fee concept as posted by an eBay employee:

""If two items are purchased from you for a single listing, one payment listing fee is charged of $0.25. If two items are purchased from you from different listings, two payment listing fees are charged of $0.25.""

It says something about the Managed Payments fee structure that neither eBay executives (nor I) caught the incorrect terminology in the seller's question.

Perminate Link for eBay Coin Seller Unnerved by Managed Payments Policy   eBay Coin Seller Unnerved by Managed Payments Policy

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 1 00:38:23 2020

Ebay also has been completely crickets as to whether they will offer MicroPayments accounts for sellers who have a lot of smaller transactions.  This is available with Paypal and runs $0.05 transaction Fee and then 5% Processing Fee.  This means that the breakeven point would be $12 so if they do not offer this rate Ebay will lose a lot of Sellers who may be large overall dollar Sellers but with smallers dollar amount sales.

Truthfully,  I'm not even sure that anybody at Ebay understands the benefits of offering this type of account to their business model.  If this is not one of the programs that they offer, Ebay stands to lose a lot of business the minute they make the complete conversion mandatory.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sun Mar 1 00:47:56 2020

eBay is biting off their own nose but they do not know it.
eBay has always been about collectables but they do not realize that.
They are all a bunch of idiots that are running this now That do not know their But from a whole in the ground.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Mar 1 11:23:55 2020

"... and it's not an area where I think it makes any sense for us to be increasing fees or, certainly not putting sellers out of business. That makes no sense to me."

If it makes no sense to you, Jordan, then why not dump this obvious money grab? This is the second time that he's been asked a question where he doesn't seem to know what the current eBay policies are. If this guy is going to be eBay's talking head, someone should sit him down and have him thoroughly familiarize himself with what the stated policies and procedures are.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Mar 1 11:37:23 2020

It all makes me wonder a bit. Schenkel was talking about vertical eCommerce. What if coins,etc are to become one of their vertical markets?

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 1 15:14:41 2020

So who, if not Sweetnam, is making decisions at eBay? He could change the per item fee today, why doesn't he?

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Sun Mar 1 15:47:06 2020

"There are places that it's going to take us time to get it right"

"I can't tell you today..."

"eBay was working on"

"It all takes time"

Bla Bla Bla. Why can't this company just be transparent for once in plain English. They know exactly why they made the coin announcement. So instead of sharing it with the sellers, these chumps would rather torture them with vague innuendos and deflecting BS.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 1 18:49:40 2020

Sweetnam said "There are places that it's going to take us time to get it right" given the number of different business models of sellers on eBay, he said. "But I see no reason why we'd be ramping payments without having a solution in place for sellers who are selling multiple items,..."

Pardon me? "its going to take TIME and you see no reason" ?????

And they brought you BACK from Walmart?

Do you sleep all day? What is it that you do exactly? Do you not know how the company works? Did you sign a contract with Adyen and not know the terms and conditions? Did they "eBay you" by sneaking stuff into the contract/UA??

Wheres Shmenckle (or what ever his name is?), wheres the BOD? (too busy counting their millions?)

How do you run a company with answers like that ? Would ANYONE here accept that BS from any OTHER company?

"I can't tell you today what the solution is specifically because the short answer is, we don't know."

EXCUSE ME - you DONT KNOW?

Liars, criminals, fools, thieves and yet we are supposed to trust them - cause they REALLY know how to run a ecommerce company... right .... is this kindergarten ?

Marni Levine said they would all be included - though she didn't say how long it would take. "This will be 100% rolled out over time, so anything that's not included currently will be included."

Who exactly is this circus clown?

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 1 18:55:24 2020

What am I missing? I get the 0.25 fee is an increase but if the 0.25 per transaction is going to hurt your business then you have bigger issues.

This user has validated their user name. by: unsuckEBAY

Sun Mar 1 19:09:24 2020

- Reminder the ridiculous eBay fee money-grab is per LISTING, not per *item* and to quote Ina, ''that's an important distinction, not just semantics.''

- Marni said, ''This will be 100% rolled out over time, so anything that's not included currently will be included.''

Sure Marni, just like all the TurboLister features will be built into Seller Hub before TL is retired (''Seller Flub'' perhaps a more appropriate after the botched roll-out of Spring Updates)

Also ''Sure!'', just like all the promises Cutler and Kupbens made before Wenig threw them both under the bus as sacrificial pawns for his incompetence and ineptitude.

~~~~~~~~~

Why is Harry Temkin still on eBay's payroll?

Temkin has done nothing but abdicate responsibility (just like his drinking buddy and former boss Wenig) for the myriad botched seller impacting events that have occurred on his watch, most importantly being last Q's catalog ''Item Specifics'' update that eBay has been working around the clock to fix since last October.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Mar 1 19:30:43 2020

Thank you! Added an update to clarify - it is indeed an important distinction!

by: horribilis This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 1 23:59:03 2020

I've been selling for seven years on eBay, and nearly every single month there is a change that reduces the amount of money sellers make. It's not always eBay, sometimes it's USPS, sometimes it's Paypal, sometimes all three, but nearly every month one of them is gouging even further. Heck, eBay could save a lot of wasted time and effort - since their harebrained schemes like DSRs or whatever are completely abandoned anyway no more than two years after completely upending your business - and just replace every seller update with a single line: You make less money now.

by: AngrySeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 02:09:00 2020

It was interesting to watch this video and to finally put faces to these infamous names. But even more fascinating is to see just how innocuous and upbeat they all sound. If you are a newbie to this platform you have no idea what awaits you and your business.

As a professional stamp dealer I came to the conclusion that these marketplaces are all a scam to sellers. They are like a drug: they promise you quick sales without having to do the painful work of developing your own brand and traffic. You get addicted to the cash flow that is barely enough to kerp going and once they know that you're done.

I left for good after 3 years. Cold turkey. It was HARD. I had to go back and do 2 accounting contracts to survive. But survive I did, while I built my own brand. I started a weekly auction. Now in its 27th week, I have a small core group of weekly bidders - about 30 in all who give me far better prices for things on my own website than I ever got in auctions on e-Bay. And there is no throttling to contend with.

30 regular customers. That's all it takes folks. Despite being international I doubt e-Bay allows anyone to develop even that. Once you develop a core group like that, you can begin to grow organically.

But you cannot do this if you are weak and under e-Bay's thumb. You cannot learn the fine art of mastering Google's requirements so that your pages can rank and be found in Google. You cannot focus on building your customer relationships, and you cannot build those relationships if you can't even talk to your customers, or if you cannot work with them to find solutions other than returns.

You can contact me through my website if you want to learn more about what I did to get out from under. This last month I did almost $8k which is easily double my best months on e-Bay.

by: AngrySeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 02:11:18 2020

Sorry, try this link instead. I forgot to put https:// in.

by: yesterdaygirls This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 03:44:31 2020

I'm hoping that ebay will cap the per listing fee PER ORDER at some low amount...say $1.00 to $2.00. We post 1000's of auctions closing over 2 days.  Last month one client won 160 items= $40.00 for this one order....and 1000 items = an extra $250.00 for one week of listings.

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 05:23:01 2020

"If two items are purchased from you for a single listing, one payment listing fee is charged of $0.25"

So if the buyer doesn't use the cart to buy multiple items the seller is charged for every item. So there is no longer any incentive to offer FREE postage as the buyers will have no reason to combine purchases.

More wrong headed thinking from eBay's team of clown holes.

by: Davina T This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 09:35:48 2020

I no longer sell, and I will not allow Adyen to have access to my financial dealings. I buy only at this point. Paypal, myself, and the seller. Uncomplicated. Like the old days.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 12:35:08 2020

Time is near to leave eBay. My eBay listings are almost all off eBay at 11 items. Moved to ecrater last few months. I said back in 1998 I would ride the wave until it broke. It has now broken with managed payments BS..........I'm on another site that their model is mp. I sold 1 thing so far. Took 7 days to get to its destination then my money sat in limbo the weekend making it 9 days. Transfered it this morning with a 2.00 added fee. They claim up to 5 days to transfer? Would turn it into 14 days after sale to collect funds. Don't think I will list much there. Stay on ecrater.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 13:42:44 2020

I've been using Etsy and Mercari for a few years. Etsy uses Ayden and I've had no problems - it's set to automatically deposit my money every 2 weeks. That being said - I'm transferring all my inventory to other venues as I don't trust Ebay when it comes to managed payments as there are far too many problems already they haven't cleaned up and the policies are getting ridiculous. I've had 1 return on Etsy - the buyer and I worked together and every thing went fine - unfortunately we can't say the same for Ebay returns. And when I no longer sell on a platform - I don't feel responsible to support my other sellers on that platform so Ebay will lose all my buying.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 13:42:44 2020

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Mon Mar 2 14:59:21 2020

Now, I'm getting rather frustrated. I've mentioned my successes with ending GTC and selling similar. The last 30 days I have increased my income by 150% ...YES....150%. I was doing 10 grand a month. This past 31 days. well.... see for yourself.

Sales (31 days)
$16,228.24

Ok I sell Jewelry, Vintage and to current. Can't get a sale on Etsy but eBay is going nuts. Doesn't anyone want to give it a shot? If I get charged an extra $20 for ending and selling similar, does it matter when I've increased my sales without using promoted listings or anything?

Is everyone deaf?????