Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Oct 14 2020 11:05:19

eBay Pushes Buyers into Making Inaccurate Claims

eBay may be setting up sellers for failure by pushing buyers into making inaccurate claims during the returns process that harm seller performance metrics.

A frequent poster to the eBay seller discussion boards said the marketplace only displayed two reasons when his buyer went to make a return:

- "I haven't received it yet"

- "I received an item that does not match the Seller's description"

Those are both options that result in claims against the seller (Item Not Received and Not as Described), but he had a customer who was initiating a return because they had changed their mind about the purchase (buyer's remorse).

"How is this set up fair to Sellers? Either list EVERY reason for a return on that page or list none and put a simple "Start return" button and the next page have ALL the reasons listed," the seller wrote.

The original seller included a screenshot of the page eBay displays to buyers, which you can view on the eBay discussion board thread.

Perminate Link for eBay Pushes Buyers into Making Inaccurate Claims   eBay Pushes Buyers into Making Inaccurate Claims

by: BTGroup This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 11:35:18 2020

They have been doing this since they started adding the 50% penalty fee.   How Ebay gets away the BS they pull is astonishing.

by: yesmikan This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 11:47:24 2020

"Another seller said once a buyer selects a reason for a return, eBay will not allow them to change it, even if they made the selection in error." -- this was accurate as of the last time I used the workflow, maybe two years ago? It was infuriating to me as a BUYER because I accidentally chose the wrong reason in haste and there was no way to fix my mistake.

by: bd greatbuys This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 12:49:44 2020

amazon is doing the same with the feedback & return system

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 13:20:46 2020

When eBay first started playing fast and loose with their ham handed oversight of everything seller, they self-servingly ‘simplified’ things by instituting a contact the seller function that ‘prioritized’ a list of reasons for why a buyer might want (they assumed need) to contact a seller post-sale.

The top default selection - without clear explanation that it was so arrayed - would ‘automatically’ open a case against the seller. Even when that was specifically not the desire of the buyer. And of course there were the standard repercussions against the seller that followed.

And there was no thought, mechanism, nor tolerance for ‘correcting’ that mistake either. The buyer could close the case of course. But the fact one was opened was an irrevocable black mark (not to worry they say, there’s some ‘tolerance’ built in). Right. For the next two to follow.

And of course, once a case was closed, another, if really needed, couldn’t be opened. THAT aspect was made clear of course, so buyers tended to be wary of closures just in ‘case’. So there’s that.

At least they did provide a list of less toxic choices to pick, IF the buyer was cogent or experienced or patient enough to scroll down to the more appropriate reason.

Now, new buyers. New management. Same of’ eBay disingenuousness. Imagine that.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 13:22:43 2020

...... the San Jose crime syndicate strikes again.

eBay makes money no matter what happens - so they dont care.

I'd ask someone to wake up Griff the Sleeping Grifter (who supposedly is in charge of "Seller Protection" (of which there is none) and ask him to chime in - but hes too busy stuffing his face on the BBQ wings @ Walkers West - to even be bothered. (On a side note: why is there even "such a thing as a Dept for "Seller Protection" when there isnt any at all on the site?)

eBay (today) has the (I would say) audacity to try and let a buyer return a watch I sold him (new with tags) from the beginning of August because the battery died and he didnt want to change the $3 battery (DOPE its not "defective" !!).

eBay told me they were holding out my "payments" until I resolved the issue (by saying Yes or No)

"its ok to say NO to the refund, but to insure a good customer experience we suggest you allow the return"

I said NO.

Dopes.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Oct 14 13:33:21 2020

HOG WASH!

I bought a 1st aid kit for $99, if I wanted to return it here's what eBay has for reasons:

Return item
Why are you returning this item?

Doesn't fit
Changed my mind
Found a better price
Just didn't like it
Ordered by mistake
Doesn't work or defective
Doesn't match description or photos
Wrong item sent
Missing parts or pieces
Arrived damaged
Doesn't seem authentic

Each of the above reasons has a circle you check. . . . .

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 16:05:40 2020

Yeah, the OP isn't being honest. I saw that thread on the Ebay board and that's the thread it shows from the resolution center as a seller.

It has never displayed that way when you go to your order history and hit "return the order". The fact this buyer would even go to the resolution center to start a return is just....odd. Maybe 1 in a 1,000,000 buyers would ever find their way to the resolution center to open a return.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 16:06:55 2020

Ugh, damn typos. Ina, make posts editable for spelling/usage errors.

I meant to say I saw that thread on the Ebay board and that screenshot the poster showed on the Ebay thread was what shows in the resolution center as a seller.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Oct 14 19:01:46 2020

Watch batteries should last longer then 2 1/2 months.

On average they last 1-2 years

The customer has a legitimate complaint

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Oct 14 19:02:23 2020

As if there have not already been enough reasons for sellers to abandon eBay already, this happens.

eBay chased me for good in 2016 with stupid policy changes and the plethora of system failures. They lost me as both a seller and a buyer.

If they offered me a million free listings with zero fees, I still would not return to this pathetic and sad excuse of a marketplace.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 14 19:32:13 2020

The Customer Coddle department. At this rate it should not be long before all sellers receive a box of cockroaches in tbe mail from eBay. Sent COD of course.

eBay still clueless on who there customers are.

Send out another survey you empty suits.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Oct 14 21:11:44 2020

I don't wear watches.

So I asked my wife because she does wear a watch, if you bought a watch on eBay new in the box and the battery stopped working 2 1/2 months after you bought it would you complain to the seller?

Wife says: NO

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 05:16:08 2020

This is not about a watch Tool, nor even about yet another tiresome hijacking attempt. But for closure, ask yourself how often you receive either notice or guarantee of shelf time pre purchase for similar items obtained NWT. When you answer it, (silently one might only pray), try to understand this is but one example illustrating what actually is the topic.

It’s about eBay promoting buyer disingenuousness for profit as a business model, strong-arming supply chain** compliance for Nordstrom Service at Dollar Tree compensation.

It’s about how they hypocritically array their Public Interface to thus imbalance the eCom marketplace to the disadvantage of their OWN customers (a.k.a. **those who actually fork over eBay’s revenue as opposed to the source of that legal tender), while simultaneously insisting zero tolerance with obfuscated appeal for any all merely alleged affronts to the end of the chain consumer.

Whether or not that consumer, or in rebuttal the seller, has due cause at ANY transaction point or beyond doesn’t really matter. Because default dismissal of concern for ‘validity’ (they’ve named it ‘noise’) will enhance profit.

Litigation, even ‘informally’ as applied to a Rolex, even a Times, costs coin you see. In Pace’s example, literally, time is money.

And that just doesn’t wear well on the street.

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 08:20:39 2020

I had a buyer choose “doesn’t seem authentic” on new old stock cookware. All the paperwork, packaging, original box, never used condition. Had the new old stock “sales sticker” on it and I sold it for less. Buyer messages “it’s too small” but chose “not authentic” as her reason to return a “no return” item to override my return policy.
Ebay pretty much forced the return (a seller never wants ebay to step in...) When I get the package, the buyer had literally taken a knife and cut the sales sticker off the package, gouging the original box. I guess when she couldn’t return 20 year old, new old stock for a brand name cookware to her local Walmart or wherever, she claimed “item not authentic.”
Ebays suggestion, after the refund, report the buyer. Woohoo. Thanks for nothin’ ebay.

by: leavingNY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 09:28:18 2020

When any of my items are returned with a fraudulent reason for SNAD or wrong item sent, since I am a TRS, I report the buyer and then subtract the amount for the shipping and FVF from the refund. A buyer just opened a does not match the photo or description fraudulent return the other day, when an item I sent the buyer claimed right in the reason for the return that it did not match the color of her horse. Which is actually a buyer remorse return. Ebay automatically accepted the return. SOOO bogus. I will be watching for this item to be returned, and subtract my expenses.. Ebay needs to be able to turn these fraudulent SNAD returns into a buyers remorse return instead of making us great sellers go through all the nonsense. What Ebay is banking on is that either a seller has no idea how to do this OR that a seller does not want to take the time to go though this process.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 09:49:12 2020

god almighty

(for the yoyo who knows nothing about anything except rusty airplane parts)

Theres no way any seller can control how long a battery lasts. That it works when received is what should happen.

Theres no way to know how long a watch has sat (in this case in Casio's warehouse) and how "good" the battery is.

Battery life is ALSO determined by temperature, humidity and other factors.

It was new and %100 working when sold - the end.

Now back to the rusty airplane parts I guess ....

by: thriftyattireandstuff This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 09:59:44 2020

I actually got a case opened the other day where the buyer did show remorse (Found better price)  I miss Paypal and money now.. They still haven't shipped this and likely will not, but with eBays ridiculous return window and now managed payments hold, a hostage I am.  If any buyers are reading this.. Found better price is about as unethical beyond a false INAD as you can get. Don't order stuff that's on your baby registry and then return everything you got gifted to you. nuff said there.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 10:03:29 2020

I just had it today. Ebay automatically refunds a buyer that sent back a defect that was replaced.

That is the end of that, no more replacements will be sent. They will only be able to return now, and purchase a new for a replacement. Then get a refund when the original is returned.

Thats gonna piss a lot of buyers off. I'm sure I'm gonna get some neg's, but I dont care about negs anymore. It's past that point with ebay. If I sell on ebay good, if not oh well. Ebay seems to be deaf, and does not care about issues like this. I was willing to deal with the scammers who pull a fast one say the item is not working, I send a return label with a replacement and dont get the original back. After this, all that is over. ALL must return first. Then it will be up to the buyer if they want to purchase another in the mean time and get a refund later. If not too bad.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 10:15:49 2020

Im NOT the OP here - I was just commenting on HOW eBays process is of course broken/wrong/incorrect/criminal.

the "issue" of course is that eBay has no "skin" in the returns process and therefore can "do/say anything" at all cause to them it "doesnt matter" - there are no consequences to anything.

if ebay had skin - then they could/should be involved but when its NOT their money - they shouldnt have anything to do with returns, period. DOPES.

by: Xena This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 11:06:17 2020

I recently had a buyer lodge INAD for ''does not seem authentic''  because she said  it was the closest option she had to chose from - where she had just made an assumption without reading the description.  She closed the claim, but was then unable to open a COM, which was the correct one to start with. so decided to just keep the item. However I still copped an INAD on my service metrics.
I've also had several buyers open INR's (for untracked), so i am left with no choice but to refund them. Yet they have said to me they didnt want a refund, they were happy to wait longer and they were unaware they were even opening a claim (wont mention the absolute headache with what to do when the item arrives a day or two later).  And again, these are recorded against my service metric.
My service metric almost hit 5% last month for INAD. 3 of them were from the same buyer for the same item. The claims were escalated and ruled in my favour.  But because the buyer purchased the item one at a time, and paid for them on the same invoice, they counted as separate transactions. Whereas if they had selected 3 for quantity and then paid for them on the one invoice, they would only count as 1 (yet the two different ways really are identical - all purchased at the same time, and paid on a single invoice).
I dont think i have ever lodged a return claim, so cant say what ebay shows. But i do think the system seems set up to punish the seller for doing nothing wrong.